Author Topic: Gunsights  (Read 568 times)

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
Gunsights
« on: May 15, 2019, 02:12:19 PM »
Hiya all... just returned to AH after a rather lengthy "vacation"
I gave away my 2 hotas setups and have ordered a new setup :)

Until it gets here, I thought I might dabble in creating a gunsight and I need to
know a few specifics

1)What is the unit of convergence (feet, yards, or meters)?

2) What is 1 mil (feet, yards or meters)?

3) What is the allowable size of a gunsight (in pixels)?

4) What distance (horz and vert) of the ticks in terms of feet, yards or meters?

Thanks to all that respond <S>

Ram

"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Gunsights
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 11:52:20 AM »
OK, I created the historic gunsights for AH3.

You have two choices of files, 256x256 or 512x512, either has to be 8bit BMP. The 512x512 requires a "samename.mil" text file with the number 256 in it to go with the "samename.bmp" file in the"sights" directory. Look in your game sights directory and you will see what I'm referencing. The Mil files in there edit with notepad. When you create a Mil file and save it, save it first as "gunsight.txt", then rename to "gunsight.Mil" or the game won't read the file. 

In Hitech units 2pixel = 1Mil. The mask or background for the bitmap must be black.

In the real world units Hitech has duplicated into the game, a 100mph ring or 101Mil reticle works exactly as it did in the real world. All air forces taught this in WW2.

At a distance of 1200ft a 50cal round takes on average .45sec to travel that distance. The lead for a con traveling 90 degrees to your line of travel at 300mph is 3 radii or 150Mil. 50Mil lead for every 100mph at 1200ft. In the real world 50Mil is the lead allowance in a tail chase where the con is traveling at 30degrees to your line. Any more lead in a tail chase past 30degrees and you are pulling too many G for your rounds to be accurate. That is why the K14 gyroscopic lead computing gunsight would only calc lead to 30degrees and low G.

Have fun....
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
Re: Gunsights
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 01:25:48 PM »
Thx bustr…
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll