Author Topic: 2nd opinion on trees vs tanks  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
2nd opinion on trees vs tanks
« on: May 18, 2019, 11:05:10 PM »
I have a couple of films here that lead me to believe trees are not equal for all.

In one of the films the player shots at another player where a building is in the way. Of course this has no effect but leads me to believe that one player is not seeing the building.

Can some tanks have a look and let me know if I'm being paranoid?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: 2nd opinion on trees vs tanks
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 11:48:57 PM »
The shot comes from the front and he appears to have just a second to get the shot off where he has a clear shot. That's the first video?

The second video he is shooting blindly with his coax hunting for you and appears to fire blindly at the sound of your M3, probably with HE. With ground clutter off I still cannot see you, but there are no trees that will cause a round collision (some do, some don't). Film viewer has an issue that makes your vehicle show up at just the moment of firing, otherwise the trees have you hidden.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 12:15:49 AM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 02:04:46 PM »
Did you notice in the longer video he takes a shot at DR7 when he is behind a house? In the smaller video I was getting shot through multiple foliage layers. I guess the question is how far can you turn down the foliage?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 05:35:27 PM »
Not far enough to see through them. You can shoot very accurately by audio location though, especially if you use HE against softer M3s. In the screenshot I posted I have the foliage and ground clutter at minimum. His shot is from 200 yards, which makes your M3 a large target in his sight picture even if he can't see you.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 10:36:29 PM »
Not far enough to see through them. You can shoot very accurately by audio location though, especially if you use HE against softer M3s. In the screenshot I posted I have the foliage and ground clutter at minimum. His shot is from 200 yards, which makes your M3 a large target in his sight picture even if he can't see you.

My engine was off iirc. From when he spawned to moving up I don't think my engine was on. Other players are telling me you can cut the tree graphics right back but I just don't see how it can be done legitimately? I play with clutter off (don't like it).

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 12:05:52 AM »
In these two images I have detail set full left (minimum). I'll move to his tank and watch it all the way through again, but I think he hears you moving and fires MGs to locate your vehicle before moving for a clear shot. Haggerty probably killed him just a few seconds later.

EDIT: Yes, you had just shut down after he had take a few shots at you. Whoever the M4 was is also closing on Kilroy. The M3 has a distinctive color which stands out in certain situations and you found a really good one in which to be spotted.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 12:16:42 AM by Chalenge »

Offline serun

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 09:01:18 PM »
Ok I just gotta ask this dumb question.  How come in the .jpg images the M3 appears to be halfway up in the trees?  Also why does it appear in front of the trees that it appears it should be hiding behind? (even if it is halfway up the tree).   :headscratch:

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 02:46:11 AM »
It's a bug in the film viewer.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 04:21:28 AM »
It's a bug in the film viewer.

I thought it was a feature.  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 10:29:06 PM »
I have a couple of films here that lead me to believe trees are not equal for all.

In one of the films the player shots at another player where a building is in the way. Of course this has no effect but leads me to believe that one player is not seeing the building.

Can some tanks have a look and let me know if I'm being paranoid?
Something similar happened back in ah2 that caused me to think that some players don’t see houses and barns from a distance, but still able to see gv’s.

I was in a tank parked up against a house and there was an enemy gv somewhere on the opposite side of the house where I couldn’t see because there was the house between me and the bad guy. A player on my team in a gv quite a ways away was getting irate. “There’s a tank right down the hill from you. How can you not see him? you’re gun is pointed right at him. He doesn’t see you, shoot him already!” My main gun was pointing right at the house I was next to that was blocking about 120 degrees of my vision.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2019, 11:00:06 PM »
OK I'M GONNA SAY THIS ONCE. just because you can't see him doesn't mean he can't see you.
2nd he is tracking you by your engine sound-I do the same thing.
3rd when in trees he is not really looking for your tank-he's looking for your tracks-the tracks on your tank not on the ground.

and personally I don't see how you can see anything with a 75mm M3.
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 03:52:52 AM »
I considered not posting this, but it's late and I'm tired...

During Tank Night in AvA, I've seen many instances where one player can see the other while the "victim" can't find his killer. Both know the other guy is there, but the "killer" sees some part of the "victim" and that allows him to shoot and kill his "victim".

Once you've been on the delivery end instead of the receiving end, you must appreciate the surprise and possible confusion. When kills are exchanged in a matter of seconds, instead of hours, such issues are quickly forgotten.

Lunatic implied, he who moves is dead. That is often true. However, in the AvA, if you stay in one place for too long, you die.

Earlier, someone mentioned a guy seeing one thing while someone else saw something much different. Some people "disabled the graphics" in AH2 and were "apparently" able to locate the enemy, but realize that has no advantage in AH3. In AH3, that "feature", if it was ever available, was removed.
I may not be able to see you, but that doesn't mean you can't see some part of my vehicle. And if you can see any part of my vehicle, you can kill me. Then, if you've killed me more than a couple of times, I'm coming after you. I know where you live, and you will die because you didn't move.

In Tank Night, on the bridges, guys think they can sit there behind smoke and not be seen. Nope, if I land a shell behind them, they are silhouetted in the explosion's flash behind them. You think they all understand what happen? hehe.

No, you won't see me in the MA. I wish I had the time, but I don't, except on rare occasions. And it isn't my arena.
Ouch. I'm probably going to be in trouble for saying that.
 :cheers:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 02:44:01 AM »
The problem is, I was sitting behind multiple layers of trees, sitting still engine off. This player does this all the time. I've seen him do other stuff such as kill his connection then come back in to avoid giving away proxy kills. So he's clearly a win at all costs kind of player (which in itself is kind of funny).

There's also the problem of when he was shooting at DR7. DR7 was on the other side of building, there was no way he could be seen. Yet this player lined DR7 up and shoots at him. Of course it fails because the round does not penetrate the building. But he could clearly see DR7 on his FE. This indicates that something on his client is not rendering textures correctly.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 12:51:26 PM »
Was he looking down from above?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2019, 05:19:18 AM »
If you have engine on, or use headphones for intercom inside the tank, you do not hear pretty much ANYTHING outside the tank (same as for planes for that matter). That is something I want to change in something that is called a sim, specially in planes.

In Swedish winters in the 80's we had listening posts away from the tank infantry protection squad, with a wired phone to the tank to increase the situation awareness, so you knew when to order flare to be sent up for the ambushes we set up, we called in mortar flares or used our own Lyran illumination flares. We tried to position them behind the enemy so we got a good profile of the things we wanted dead.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera