Author Topic: ITS HERE!!!!  (Read 1921 times)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
ITS HERE!!!!
« on: May 22, 2019, 02:01:47 PM »
Rift S :x I got mine in today!! Updating FirmWare and setting up....UPDATE to follow. Only potential issue as of now....NO built in Ear Phones like Rift had. It uses the Vibe like earphone jack. More to come :aok
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
Re: ITS HERE!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 07:45:48 PM »
I used mine for a few hours last night. It is not a huge improvement but I am quite happy with it. I really like the inside out tracking and extra space on my desk. It does seem to run a bit hotter, and doesn't breath quite as well. The picture is a little more clear too.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 12:01:47 AM »
I used mine for a few hours last night. It is not a huge improvement but I am quite happy with it. I really like the inside out tracking and extra space on my desk. It does seem to run a bit hotter, and doesn't breath quite as well. The picture is a little more clear too.
I agree, seemed tracking was very smooth. Yes a bit warm, well stuffy I guess would be better. Glasses were not an issue either, a plus. Only thing I dont like...the NO Built in Ear Phones. Not a huge issue, but liked the Rift Built ins better. In my use(about 5 hours) eye fatigue was non existent. Seemed a lot clearer. The gauges and text were easier to read for me. That was were the Rift's screen door usually affected me, even though I was 2 years into it. I dont use it much for other games , but SuperHot worked great! The new Play area setup was easier than with the Rift. I give it a solid , A-. The rift would be a B now. So some improvement, same price and it doesnt eat up USB's and Desk Space  :aok The camera effect-*--where you could see "Through" with head set on...trippy :x
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline BTPommyB

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 12:36:29 AM »
Love my HTC VIVE Pro.
AH is so immersive now.
Looking forward to the software catching up.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 03:43:13 AM »
Love my HTC VIVE Pro.
AH is so immersive now.
Looking forward to the software catching up.
Yep! Nobody else, has a better VR optimization the AH! With being able to use hat switches WITH VR....Win Win. Those used to hat switch can keep doing it..sure helps in getting use to the 1:1 head movement and will just ratchet up their experience in AH

Offline mustng2

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 02:24:38 PM »
Does it have a built in mic?

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 04:30:44 PM »
 :aok I correct myself!!! It does have Builtin sound! It just isnt an earphone. It is in the head band, internal--ish :uhoh Mic and sound works great! Not sure how I missed the sound? Probably just assumed it was plug in earphones since it had an audio jack. Sorry fellers :salute It fits glasses perfectly, no need for spacers a plus for me. IPD is like Vive and WinMixed Reality and is Software NOT Hardware...no physical sliders or nobs. Jury still out on that. So far, very little if any Eye Strain, so seems ok :salute

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 09:53:19 PM »
I've only been messing with the Rift S offline in AH3, but wow - despite all the negative press/previews/etc about the Rift S, many saying it wasn't a very large incremental jump over the CV1, I'm more than pleasantly surprised.  Oculus really knows what it's doing, Skuzzy always said its drivers were vastly superior for devs too.  I've got a Pimax 5k, and two Odyssey+, and I'll be selling one of the Odyssey+ and keeping the Rift S, possibly both Odysseys.  If I didn't have the Reverb and Index pre ordered, I'd for sure be getting another Rift S for all 3 gaming PCs we run at home right now.  Goes to show that the resolution numbers aren't the only factor,  or perhaps not even the most important, when it comes to overall clarity and the experience of VR in general.  I really can't believe how wrong most were about the Rift S not being a "high end/sim users HMD set".  It is. 

The sound isn't the greatest, I'm using Klipsch and Sony noise cancelling earbuds anyway, and the sound drivers for the Rift S are as good as the Vive Pro sound when I had that headset, and as good or better than the Odyssey+ too.

AH3 still has the best VR implementation of all sims IMO too.  I think the Reverb and possibly the Index once they are out are going to be incredible as well.  For the $ the Rift S is sure a great deal though, I got mine for $550 CAD delivered with 2 day shipping tax in from the Microsoft store in Canada, the Reverb will be a few hundred more than that, and the Index, more than double.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 12:13:55 AM »
 :rofl Yep, pretty much the same with me. DCS, is pretty sweet with Rift S also. No noticeable frame rate hits with RS, runs same as Rift (FR speaking). Makes you wonder what the reviewers were expecting. Maybe because of no HardWare IPD adjustments? Mine was same price I paid for Rift, $399+ tax+ shipping. No sensors, so got rid of 2 tables I need to have sensors on. I am 10 hrs in game(AH3 and DCS) and only issue I have other than Sounds(using built in sounds, no headphones) is it feels stuffy. Thinking because your forehead is more covered than with Rift? Vive users have had this, so I will get accustomed to it. I also have some blurry edges along the edges, but the center focal areas are VERY SHARP. I do need to get my eyes checked though, so this could be on me :aok    I would recommend it. Then again, I had the extra funds to play with. I would have a hard time saying, that if you have the RIFT and love it...may not be as big a difference for the extra $399+. Especially with a few more getting ready to come on the market. That being said, if you have the funds, dont think you would be disappointed. :salute

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 08:19:55 AM »
Have you been using the built in microphone? I have a squaddie that was having problems getting his to work. I started going through all of the standard trouble shooting with him and realized mine is not working either. I didn't notice it because I use a different one. They show up in Windows but there is no input

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 08:04:34 PM »
Have you been using the built in microphone? I have a squaddie that was having problems getting his to work. I started going through all of the standard trouble shooting with him and realized mine is not working either. I didn't notice it because I use a different one. They show up in Windows but there is no input
Yes, use the BUILT IN Rift Mic. I have it as DEFAULT Recording Device in Windows sound manager and in AH it is Default. I do however have to increase the level of BOOST in AH3 quite often. Some reason or another it slides backwards from what I had it set too. Thinking it imports sound levels from other apps? I find it by using VoiceAttack. When it doesnt recognize key words, Ah...yes, slide her up and voila. I check my settings in Windows..under Playback devices:Rift s :advanced...I have allow apps to take exclusive control AND give exclusive mode applications priority...CHECKED.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 08:14:59 PM by 1stpar3 »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 08:16:54 PM »
The mic boost in AH is just a link to the Windows mic boost. When it changes it's because Windows changed it in another app.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2019, 02:34:05 AM »
The mic boost in AH is just a link to the Windows mic boost. When it changes it's because Windows changed it in another app.
Yep..figured that would be the cause. Then again, AH is the only app I run? :headscratch:

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2019, 02:42:18 AM »
Uodate. In hours of use I found an issue with the Microphone. It would just stop radio coms? Was about every other hour or half hour that Mic function  will cease? I dont even know where to look for a solution. this is only game I play and losing coms SUCKS

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2019, 05:28:18 AM »
A day after trying to figure out our mics I saw that mine had randomly started working again.