Author Topic: Where'd everyone go?  (Read 6469 times)

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
Re: Where'd everyone go?
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2019, 01:55:01 PM »
well, that is pretty old. I just trashed one with that processor. i figured it wasn't worth trying to keep it alive any longer. My daugher was using it. Replaced it with ryzen 2600 and 1060. Was pretty cheap overall and came out very nice and fast machine.

VR or no VR i think you're looking at an upgrade soon down the road.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2019, 02:08:16 PM »
well, that is pretty old. I just trashed one with that processor. i figured it wasn't worth trying to keep it alive any longer. My daugher was using it. Replaced it with ryzen 2600 and 1060. Was pretty cheap overall and came out very nice and fast machine.

Those work great as a Media Server. I hope you did not truly trash the machine. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2019, 02:53:54 PM »

https://www.businessinsider.com/ways-to-make-money-from-medical-research-and-donations-2018-3

Donating a testicle seems to pay pretty good.  I'm not necessarily recommending that, just sayin...

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2019, 02:56:10 PM »

As a matter of fact, this is my recently upgraded machine  :D

At the moment it still works great. As said, I have no problems playing anything that I tried in 1080p so far.  AH, Eve online, WT, Elite:Dangerous, Cities Skylines, ETS2 & ATS... Especially the single thread performance of the i5 2500 is still quite impressive.
I may be able to do another GPU upgrade next year (if really necessary, that is). I plan a new CPU in 2021 (need new MB and RAM for that, and maybe it's better to get a new PSU by then as well).

By the way, this afternoon I tried to remember what my gaming system consisted of in the past 20 years. Most of it I could only remember this well because I searched this very BBS for old tech posts of mine  :rofl

(Before that it gets even more obscure: PET 2001, HP/86B, Armstrad 6128...)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2019, 03:04:46 PM »
heheheh i guess you have a rather sensible strategy when it comes to hardware. I personally like to buy newer toys. Some of those names bring back memories :) I'm Commodore 128, Pentium 60 (yes, not 66. That one had a cpu soltered to the board - packard bell) then AMD K6-300 - what a wonderful overclocking machine that was. Pentium Duo was next.... can't remember.
First video card was an SVGA card so that i could play 1280x1080 strategy game called V4Victory. Spent like 120$ on it in 1993 or so.....

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2019, 03:09:01 PM »
I personally like to buy newer toys.

So do I. I just don't have the funds  :D
The PII/233 ine early 98 was the only time (I think) I ever was really up to date.  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2019, 05:07:59 PM »
people talking about different squads, also try different countries, with numbers as low as they are flip to another side (with lowest numbers) and fly with people you used to shoot down
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline bounder

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2019, 08:04:45 PM »
Well, I subbed.

I suppose my alarm was because I've always thought this is the best combat flightsim. I left warbirds for AH on a recommendation and was bowled over.

It seems unjust that it isn't packed to the rafters every day.

Anyway ,thanks for all the posts, and my old squaddie Copprhed says VR is the way to go.

And this was, IMO, the best solution to getting those numbers back up.

Strategy: Advertise to like-minded people such as:
The age group of 35 and above. People who are most likely to be aware of WW2, have lives that are somewhat settled and have time to spend in AH. Chasing younger participation is just to difficult.

Groups, Clubs, Associations that have an interest in aviation.
Examples:
Army  Air  Forces  Historical  Association
Air Force Association
92nd USAAF-USAF Memorial Association
325th Fighter Group WWII - “Checkertail Clan" Association
WW2 Fighter Group Associations
R/C Flying Clubs
WW2 Aircraft modelers
WW2 A/C Demonstration teams
WW2 Aircraft Museums
Contacting these type of groups will lead to more possibilities.

If they don't know about Aces High they won't come!

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2019, 10:26:36 PM »
I've always thought this is the best combat flightsim.

It was for a long time.

I've watched many ideas and suggestions be floated here for years hoping for some sort of effective change. As you can see it has not happened. I feel the game abandoned.

The game brought a lot of folks good times. VR is the best done of any flight sim I've played (of the 3 I've played). Titanic Tuesday might not ever be beat for numbers in one server for a flight sim. FSO was always great fun.. WT, although visually stunning, is no comparison to the game play AH had.

My bug to fly is biting again. This business model seems to be working from a numbers stand point although I have not played the game.

https://steamcharts.com/app/223750
- TWBYDHAS

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2019, 03:47:20 PM »
You hurt my feelings....

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl  :aok
WHEW!!! Didnt want to up.......wait a minute :uhoh Really? Its a trap aint it :headscratch: This time...I BRING THE SALT :aok :rofl
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2019, 01:49:03 PM »
So do I. I just don't have the funds  :D
The PII/233 ine early 98 was the only time (I think) I ever was really up to date.  :old:

AMD just kicked Intel in the nuts. Expect prices to drop significantly. Might be a good time to build something new in next couple of months.