Author Topic: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 AH Pauses and Stutters  (Read 4262 times)

Offline Mol

• Zinc Member
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 AH Pauses and Stutters
« on: June 12, 2019, 03:09:23 PM »
Hi

I'm running AH on an I7 with a 4MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 but every now and then the graphics in AH pauses and stutters momentarily. Usually happens at the worst possible time entering or during a dogfight.

I suspect I'm not even close to having the card or game set up for optimal performance so I'd like to ask for help.

Not really worried about eye candy, I just want the smoothest flying possible.

Does anyone have any tips or ideal settings for this card and aces high?

BigMol
Man of Leisure (MoL)
InGame as BigMoL

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 AH Pauses and Stutters
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 04:12:42 PM »
Howdy MOL...

To start off it might help to run a DXDIAG (Direct X Diagnostics) on your machine. This will list your setup and settings so folks can see where you might make changes to clear up the stutters.

Assuming you are running Windows 10, right click the START, select RUN, in the box type DXDIAG. The app will open and take a minute or so to populate. Once it is finished you can select SAVE ALL INFORMATION. This will allow you to save the info in .txt form. You can then post it to this thread so that folks can help you. This usually works better than folks just shooting in the dark... so to speak.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 04:14:00 PM »
Are you running on dx9 or dx11 version? I suggest you run it in dx9.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Mol

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 02:57:58 PM »
Hi

Here is my DxDiag.txt

Boy, that file is a monster.

http://www.filedropper.com/dxdiag_1

Mol
Man of Leisure (MoL)
InGame as BigMoL

Offline AKQwik

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 04:40:18 PM »
I don't think its your computer.  I have a similar setup and what you are describing has come and gone many times. The last AH update in May brought it back to my computer, after many months of no stutters or pauses.  I'm just waiting for the next update to hopefully fix it again.  I agree that you might not have the problem in DX9, but I haven't switched lately.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 07:44:28 PM »
I have a stutter problem when I play as well. But it’s done that to me since AH3 came out. 1060 6GB. I think I read where it was a DX11? Problem
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 02:18:04 AM »
970 here as well and occasional half a second freezes since AH3, a couple in an hour or so and usually when in action.

As others have said, it's somewhat related to DX11 making it mostly a Microsoft issue as far as I understand it. I've noticed the same with the King online games which should not be graphically too demanding. And actually, just as I was typing, I noticed that the emoticons above the typing screen stopped for half a second.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 06:11:43 PM »
Try to run DX9 instead, had problems as you have with Dx11
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 02:29:40 PM »
DX11 is for people running VR   DX9 is for people not running VR
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 09:19:35 PM »
DX11 is for people running VR   DX9 is for people not running VR

Unfortunately the stutters are still present in VR

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 02:30:48 PM »
I don't think its your computer.  I have a similar setup and what you are describing has come and gone many times. The last AH update in May brought it back to my computer, after many months of no stutters or pauses.  I'm just waiting for the next update to hopefully fix it again.  I agree that you might not have the problem in DX9, but I haven't switched lately.

Interesting.  I had run DX11 for a few months with no pauses, then the AH server went down and was reset and the pauses are back.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Mol

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 05:25:34 PM »
Hi,

I've noticed something that makes me think this is not a graphics problem. Just lately, whenever I notice a pause or stutter I've checked out the net status and seem to see that it correlates with a simultaneous spike in the "Variance in delay". A pause corresponds to a large spike and stutters with a series of smaller spikes. Often they come together.

So, it looks like the graphic effects I'm seeing are linked to the variance in delay and not my graphics set up. When it happens it happens suddenly and only lasts a fraction of a second but the net status shows a history over the last several seconds so its easy to check. I'm also trying to stay alert to see if the pauses also correspond to a fluctuation in frame rate or if that stays high through the pauses and stutters. Difficult though because its all over so quickly.

The plot thickens.

Any insights into this greatly appreciated.

BigMol
Man of Leisure (MoL)
InGame as BigMoL

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 09:43:29 PM »
Hi,

I've noticed something that makes me think this is not a graphics problem. Just lately, whenever I notice a pause or stutter I've checked out the net status and seem to see that it correlates with a simultaneous spike in the "Variance in delay". A pause corresponds to a large spike and stutters with a series of smaller spikes. Often they come together.

So, it looks like the graphic effects I'm seeing are linked to the variance in delay and not my graphics set up. When it happens it happens suddenly and only lasts a fraction of a second but the net status shows a history over the last several seconds so its easy to check. I'm also trying to stay alert to see if the pauses also correspond to a fluctuation in frame rate or if that stays high through the pauses and stutters. Difficult though because its all over so quickly.

The plot thickens.

Any insights into this greatly appreciated.

BigMol

Hi Mol,

I have provided an attachment below that I had captured using MSI Afterburner's graphing overlay while playing AHIII DX11 vers some time back that shows that the screen freezes do interrupt the GPU directly (looks like the GPU is entering a TDR-timeout delay recovery-GPU stalls then the monitor drivers call the OS to reset the GPU drivers to restart the GPU to resume operation....all this happens within the 2 sec window the OS allows before calling a fault and AHIII generating a .dmp file).

This is related to a driver issue running under Directx 11 API at the OS kernel level and I still get these to date running on the current box in sig below using the latest graphics drivers.

I have also provided some attachments that I also captured using Latency Mon running in the background while playing AHIII DX11 vers that also caught my box going thru a screen freeze. The attachments show that the OS Kernel Mode Driver Framework (driver file Wdf01000.sys) was getting a ton of ISR's which set off a bunch of DPC's which will stop a process from utilizing the CPU until the DPC has finished executing.

The issue is, which hardware driver is the real issue that is causing the OS to halt AHIII momentarily while operating under DX11? Or is the issue within Windows OS itself? From looking at the screen it seems obvious that it appears to be the GPU drivers, but it could also be the sound chip drivers, or LAN drivers (or a combination of all of these) that is being affected but the issue is at the Windows OS kernel level in conjunction w\ operations thru the OS level DX11 API which primarily intercepts the game's generated graphics calls then sends them after applying the called for Directx 3D graphics applications to the GPU drivers to then instruct the GPU to process the calls then store the finished frames in mem buffer until called to flip them to the monitor screen. Thruout all these episodes I've never heard the game's sound stop while the screen is froze or have noted the ingame vox to stall while this is going on but I don't use vox most of the time so I can't personally say but I know several players have reported that vox is interrupted when a screen freeze occurs which lends to what you've noticed.

Under Dx9 this is mostly gone as when I've run the game under Dx9 (the game client's coding is the same being used w\ both Dx9 and Dx11 API's...the 2 game shortcuts when activated instruct the OS as to which Dx API to use w\ the game) this issue is non existent. Now under Dx9 the GPU is put under much more of a graphics load processing the in game graphics calls than it is processing the same graphics calls under Dx11 but under Dx9 these screen freezes are mostly non existent whereas under Dx11 they are occurring at random intervals for .5 secs to 1 sec....I have witnessed them happening when the GPU was under a heavy load and also while relatively unloaded w\ no set pattern established except that each time they do occur the GPU is momentarily stalled as shown on the graph (GPU usage %, GPU framerate and GPU frametime drops towards 0 then restarts and resumes normal operations).

As you can see from the dates on these snippets this issue has been going on w\ AHIII for the past 2+ yrs when using under Dx11. So while HTC and Co is trying to figure this out, most just run the game under Dx9 to not have to deal w\ the issue.

Just trying to give you a little history background concerning this issue playing AHIII, at least from my perspective.
Now if you do figure out something that we haven't found yet please let us know as I would appreciate the efforts.

Hope this helps.

:salute
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 09:49:15 PM by Pudgie »
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 02:40:54 PM »
The issue is, which hardware driver is the real issue that is causing the OS to halt AHIII momentarily while operating under DX11? Or is the issue within Windows OS itself? From looking at the screen it seems obvious that it appears to be the GPU drivers, but it could also be the sound chip drivers, or LAN drivers (or a combination of all of these) that is being affected but the issue is at the Windows OS kernel level in conjunction w\ operations thru the OS level DX11 API which primarily intercepts the game's generated graphics calls then sends them after applying the called for Directx 3D graphics applications to the GPU drivers to then instruct the GPU to process the calls then store the finished frames in mem buffer until called to flip them to the monitor screen. Thruout all these episodes I've never heard the game's sound stop while the screen is froze or have noted the ingame vox to stall while this is going on but I don't use vox most of the time so I can't personally say but I know several players have reported that vox is interrupted when a screen freeze occurs which lends to what you've noticed.

These are the main questions and to stir the pot even further I've noticed similar behaviour with other games and even with this forum which makes this look more like a Windows problem rather than an AH issue. A driver issue is what one might suggest first. I'm bound to use older drivers because any of the latest ones from the last couple of years will cause the video card to stop responding and restart so any driver issue should be fixed by now. Like Pudgie I haven't had any sound issues with several drivers so that doesn't look like a potential culprit either. And about the Windows OS: I'm using 7 but there's many suffering from the same issue running on various versions of 10 so that's another illogical suspect. A hiccup in the network connections is all that's left and with Level3 biting more than they can chew there's nothing one can do there.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2019, 11:49:25 AM »
I've read a bunch of people that have to set war thunder back to DX9  due to a short period black screen for a second or two in DX11, so it's defintively more games that experience problems with DX11.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera