Author Topic: Windows 10 ver 1903 Update AMD Ryzen CPU's  (Read 486 times)

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
Windows 10 ver 1903 Update AMD Ryzen CPU's
« on: June 12, 2019, 11:47:05 PM »
Hi All,

To all AMD Ryzen CPU users (especially those who are using Ryzen CPU's equipped w\ 2 CCX's or more....6 cores & up), in the Windows 10 vers 1903 upgrade MS has implemented a fix to the Windows Thread Scheduler stack that will now properly assign threads to the AMD CPU core CCX units to split the thread loads very evenly between the CCX units AND maintain any spill over threads across the idle CPU cores WITHIN the individual CCX units to migitate thread swapping across the 2 CPU core CCX units to reduce\eliminate the latency penality derived from doing so.

This was announced recently during Computex…………..

I have already updated my box to Win 10 ver 1903 and have tested this running AHIII on my box w\ CPU affinity and CPU priority disabled (so Windows will be in full control of thread scheduling\assignment) w\ my trusty MSI AB\HWINFO32 overlay running in background on screen to see the CPU activity in real time to verify if the OS does what it is supposed to do now w\ an AMD Ryzen multi-core CPU.

I can report that the new 1903 update does indeed manage these AMD Ryzen CPUs properly now, maintaining at best a near 50-50 split and at worst a 60-40 split of CPU core usage across the 2 CCX units w\ the 1st CPU core within each CCX unit doing the brunt of the work (as is par w\ past token ring thread scheduling patterns consistent to a SMP 4-core CPU design) but also seeing more CPU usage of the other 3 CPU cores within the CCX units denoting the OS is scheduling other spill over threads that the 1st CPU cores in each CCX unit can't process to the other 3 idle CPU cores within each CCX unit instead of across the CCX units over Infinity Fabric. 1 of the big positive side effects that I noted from this is much better management of power across the CPU cores within each CCX unit to the point that the CPU operating temps were overall lower AND remained STEADY (CPU temps used to oscillate approx. 5*C-6*C periodically due to uneven heat dissipation due to 1 CCX getting hotter than the other from uneven CPU core loading which caused my radiator fans to periodically ramp up to bring temps back into line) now under Win 10 vers 1903 vs prior under Win 10 vers 1809 and earlier. Radiator fans now settle into a much lower and steady RPM (read quieter here) as CPU temps now only oscillate no more than 1*C-2*C while under load (mostly due to the GPU loading as the fluid is circulated from the pump thru the vid card block 1st then thru the rear 120mm radiator then thru the CPU block then thru the front 240mm radiator then into reservoir then back into the pump to repeat.

So now I will disable CPU affinity in my Windows CMD edited shortcut (but keep CPU priority enabled) as this is no longer necessary to essentially get similar results from Windows on my AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 8-Core CPU.

This is also in conjunction w\ MS Win 10's latest iteration of Game Mode enabled and set up to recognize the AHIII game client being active as a game upon startup and further optimize resources to optimize the game running under Win 10 vers 1903, at least this is what MS has intended for this to do.

Been using this since it's inception and to date I have noted no negative effects to gameplay so it is either giving a net neutral effect or actually giving a positive boost...even if it is small.....to actual gameplay so I continue to use it.

Game ran flawless and very smooth holding steady at my monitor's (Asus MG279Q Gaming Monitor) max FreeSynch VRR of 90Hz (or 90 FPS ingame due to VSynch being applied) @ 2560x1440 res w\ the only infamous random .5 sec-1 sec screen freeze appearing while running the DX11 vers of AHIII.

If for no other reason, IMHO this is 1 in favor of considering to upgrade to the latest 1903 vers of Win 10 for any AMD Ryzen 6-Core & up CPU users out there, regardless of generation.

Just putting this here for others to consider...……………………….

FYI.

:aok  :salute
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 11:55:22 PM by Pudgie »
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd