Author Topic: Combat Trim  (Read 2031 times)

Offline Tripp

• Zinc Member
Combat Trim
« on: June 14, 2019, 11:45:29 AM »
With combat trim selected, how long does it stay in effect?

Thanks to all replies...

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Combat Trim
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 12:40:29 PM »
Until it's turned off.  Setting one of the variants of autopilot (speed, angle, or level) will turn it off.  If auto combat trim is enabled I believe it turns on after you cancel autopilot, but I've got mine mapped to a button, so it's been a while.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 03:40:51 PM »

Thanks to all replies...

I have a macro that turns it on for 1/2 sec and then back off again.   (You might could do the same with a toggle button mapping.)

That gets me trimmed up instantly for my current state but isn't continually changing on me while I'm trying to line up a shot.  That can make things feel slippery.  I like to do that right before I start lining up the shot so it is pretty close.

Of course, my aim still sucks.  ;)

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 05:40:58 PM »

Thanks to all replies...

Combat trim sets your approximate trim setting for your speed. You can "improve it" with the auto pilot modes.

The auto pilot light changes color to tell you which mode you're in.

Mapping a hat to the autopilot modes and combat trim makes it easy to use what you need.

The issue with combat trim is that during a dogfight you generally don't want to be trimmed slower than cruising speed or you can have trouble pushing your nose down. Any flight slower than cruising speed is a good time to have combat trim off, but different people have different preferences. I like to trim for max level speed. This makes the nose a little heavy as I slow down.

If you have a sloppy center in your joystick trimming nose down can help by letting you avoid the center position when making fine adjustments to pitch.  Trimming nose down can make it harder to pull up so don't over do it.

Let me know if you need help with anything.  :salute

Offline Tripp

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 10:14:24 PM »
All good advice FLS, L can use A/P level to accomplish what I want. Right now I flying with an old Logi Extreme 3 D ( your basic cheapstick) I'm considering a TM T16000m. Have a TM hotas Warthog but it's a t a different location and I won't get there for at least 6 months. Appreciate your time, thanks..

« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 10:16:06 PM by Tripp »

Offline Tripp

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 10:18:56 PM »
Thanks to Wiley and Cpt Trips for some good replies!:)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 03:29:07 AM »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 08:55:36 AM »
All good advice FLS, L can use A/P level to accomplish what I want. Right now I flying with an old Logi Extreme 3 D ( your basic cheapstick) I'm considering a TM T16000m. Have a TM hotas Warthog but it's a t a different location and I won't get there for at least 6 months. Appreciate your time, thanks..

The TM T16000m is a good stick, probably the best of the "cheap" sticks. A bit small if you have a big hand, but still a good stick, well worth the price. It doesnt compare well with the Warthog. Thats like comparing a Toyota to a Rolls Royce  :devil

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 10:22:01 AM »
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 10:23:52 AM by Drano »
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 10:23:29 AM »
I have a macro that turns it on for 1/2 sec and then back off again.   (You might could do the same with a toggle button mapping.)

That gets me trimmed up instantly for my current state but isn't continually changing on me while I'm trying to line up a shot.  That can make things feel slippery.  I like to do that right before I start lining up the shot so it is pretty close.

Of course, my aim still sucks.  ;)
I use CT in the same way for the same reasons. I just have a straight toggle mapped but like your idea of a quick on/off. Gonna have to steal that I think as I never leave it on for any length of time anyway. Saves a button press.

Either way it prolly won't help my aim either!

Sent from my Moto Z2 Force using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 10:27:21 AM »
I use CT in the same way for the same reasons. I just have a straight toggle mapped but like your idea of a quick on/off.

Since I play VR, I use VoiceAttack.  I have it set up as a action.
"Trim it!"

:cool:
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 06:13:03 PM »
Right now I flying with an old Logi Extreme 3 D ( your basic cheapstick)

That's my favorite joystick.  I can't afford anything fancy, and the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro fits me well.  I have a button set to turn auto trim off when I need it.  If I find the nose bouncing around while I am aiming, I can turn autotrim off and on to see if it helps.  Of course it would help if my aim were better.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 04:01:11 AM »
Since I play VR, I use VoiceAttack.  I have it set up as a action.
"Trim it!"

:cool:
:aok The "Voice Attack" app....Hands down best if using VR! Think I have mentioned it in just about every VR question posts :cheers: Would be ABSOLUTELY PERFECT, if it had the "Voice to text" option..as in Dragon or Grammarly programs...as typing on 200 is a hassle   :devil Even have the "Oh CHIT! I am compressing" maped to "@#%!, F#@%   $#@%(with F#@% being dive recovery flaps when usable)  TRUE STORY!  :rofl It was just easier than "Trim TRIM TRIM"  :rofl
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 04:15:26 AM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 07:40:03 AM »
:aok The "Voice Attack" app....Hands down best if using VR! Think I have mentioned it in just about every VR question posts :cheers:

:aok  I think I learned about it from one of your posts.  It's a MUST have for VR, IMHO.

:salute,
CptTrips

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2019, 03:15:55 AM »
:aok  I think I learned about it from one of your posts.  It's a MUST have for VR, IMHO.

:salute,
CptTrips
SWEET! Glad I could help! It does have its perks!  :salute
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain