Author Topic: Return of Wild Bill and MicroProse  (Read 35234 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Return of Wild Bill and MicroProse
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2019, 12:42:49 PM »
That is what I was pointing out, the terrain *will* be the same as shown in the static picture.

We'll see.   :D

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2019, 12:48:23 PM »
for the impatient you can hit right window key + home for autostart sequence the same as AH's  E key.  :aok

just need a new pair of glasses and a stiff brandy to see anything.

Thank God!

I just remember sitting through an hour long walk-thru tutorial of flipping switches and turning knobs. 
I definitely was feeling like a stiff brandy!

The secret to a great game is to simulate the fun stuff and throw everything else out.  Sid Meier said that.

:salute

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2019, 01:03:34 PM »
My guess to the delay of beta videos/etc is the lack of pilots/players since WB is really bad with player number.

That's pretty "optimistic", IMO.  It would only take 1 or 2 people to post an in game video.  Based on history, I don't trust WB as far as I could throw him left handed.

Man, Microprose was so good in the backwhen though.  I put a metric buttload of time into F-19.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2019, 01:17:00 PM »

Man, Microprose was so good in the backwhen though.  I put a metric buttload of time into F-19.

Awesome game. 

A Sid Meier classic that Wild Bill couldn't even screw up.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2019, 01:41:13 PM »
The secret to a great game is to simulate the fun stuff and throw everything else out.  Sid Meier said that.

:salute

The tricksy part is figuring out what's fun.  While some people rub their nipples over the engine management stuff and lack of icons in IL2, those are both major downsides to me.  Everybody's sweet spot for realism is a little bit different.

I've tried DCS world a bit, it seemed pretty impressive to me, but it's not something I'd play every day.  Money vs desire just isn't quite there.  If they ever really knock their stuff down on a Steam sale I may grab a couple planes.  I would really like to brrrrrrrt something and I'd love to fly a Tomcat or F18.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2019, 02:04:34 PM »
The tricksy part is figuring out what's fun.

That's where the artistry and good instincts come in.  The art is finding the perfect mix. The fine line between interesting detail, and tedious minutia.  More tedious details might make a better simulation, but not necessarily a better game.

That's what separates the game the great designers like Sid Meier from all the ones who's name you can't remember.

I'm fine if you can just turn that stuff off, but development resources are a zero-sum game.  I wonder how much more "fun" stuff could have been squeezed in if less time is spent on switches and knobs.

To each their own.  The market will eventually decide the proper balance.

:cheers: 

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2019, 02:23:05 PM »
That's where the artistry and good instincts come in.  The art is finding the perfect mix. The fine line between interesting detail, and tedious minutia.  More tedious details might make a better simulation, but not necessarily a better game.

That's what separates the game the great designers like Sid Meier from all the ones who's name you can't remember.

I'm fine if you can just turn that stuff off, but development resources are a zero-sum game.  I wonder how much more "fun" stuff could have been squeezed in if less time is spent on switches and knobs.

To each their own.  The market will eventually decide the proper balance.

:cheers:

The switches and knobs are the entire reason DCS is there though.  It's catering to the people that like that.

WT caters mostly to one group, AH another, IL2 to yet another (IMO IL2's and AH's fan bases are the closest together of them all in what they want) and DCS to a fourth group.  IMO there's relatively little crossover between them although there's likely some.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2019, 02:46:44 PM »
The switches and knobs are the entire reason DCS is there though.  It's catering to the people that like that.

WT caters mostly to one group, AH another, IL2 to yet another (IMO IL2's and AH's fan bases are the closest together of them all in what they want) and DCS to a fourth group.  IMO there's relatively little crossover between them although there's likely some.

Wiley.

As I said, To each their own.  The market will eventually decide the proper balance.

A share goes to WT and share goes to DCS, a share goes to Il2, a share even goes to AH.  The size of each share is proportional to the broadness of each's appeal based on their mix of complexity, fun, cost, graphics, and if it is online only or has some offline component/campaign , etc. 
(Would Il2 have got traction with no offline game?  With only online lobbies?)

I kinda wish HTC would bundle their tech into some value-prices single player games to put on steam.  There is a huge single player market.  Could be a revenue stream and exposure to a whole population they haven't had contact with.  Maybe each game can come with a free month on their Aces High game.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2019, 03:05:53 PM »
didn't sid meier  do settlers? 

I remember that being the first computer game I played and loved.   Pillaging resources and attacking with vast armies kind of set me up.   :D
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2019, 03:18:48 PM »
didn't sid meier  do settlers? 

I remember that being the first computer game I played and loved.   Pillaging resources and attacking with vast armies kind of set me up.   :D

He did Civilization and Colonization.  I don't think Settlers.  Man, I played a lot of Civilization.  lol

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2019, 04:26:15 PM »
I don't think you caught the point. Its most likely in-game photage, not some pre-rendered scene.

It probably shows off the capability of the UE4 engine so the end result wont be much different from the actual screenshots.

What worries me is that they are looking for investors, which means they don't have confidence in their vision or current resources. Crowd funding is a really strange creature.

Those "investment" videos were from April last year. They could be well on their way by now.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2019, 04:37:13 PM »
I kinda wish HTC would bundle their tech into some value-prices single player games to put on steam.  There is a huge single player market.  Could be a revenue stream and exposure to a whole population they haven't had contact with.  Maybe each game can come with a free month on their Aces High game.

I REALLY wish someone would do something similar to Red Baron or Aces Over Europe's career mode with a modern game.  Starting out low rank and working your way up with more responsibility/flexibility as you go...  I put so much time into those two games in the backwhen.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2019, 04:41:05 PM »
He did Civilization and Colonization.  I don't think Settlers.  Man, I played a lot of Civilization.  lol

Just checked my Civ V time: 963 hours.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2019, 04:42:09 PM »
I REALLY wish someone would do something similar to Red Baron (...) career mode with a modern game. 

The Red Baron career mode kicked ass  :rock

I was always disappointed when later flight sims got back to 'campaign modes' being just a series of scripted missions.
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2019, 04:47:39 PM »

Don't forget

Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman