Author Topic: Vive Pro Users  (Read 1193 times)

Offline BTPommyB

• Zinc Member
Vive Pro Users
« on: July 03, 2019, 08:08:30 AM »
Hi All,

It has been a while since any posts on this subject, so I thought I would kick-off a discussion.

Firstly, I am now 100% VR. It is much more immersive and frankly it makes you a better flyer. Gunnery is better too. I am not a tanker, apart from the occasional resupply, however it seems good there too.
Resolution in 2D is undoubtedly better, but the immersiveness of VR more than compensates. No frame rate issues.
The Vive Pro has build in mic and earphones so it is easy to use once set up.
The combination of VR and hat-switch massively increases situational awareness. Some time setting up views for each plane will improve SA even more.

Once you put your headset on, it is really inconvenient to take it off, so typing is not a practical option. For a while I just never acknowledged a WTG or a salute. That was before I discovered VOICE ATTACK.
With VA you can program voice to text commands, so no need to type. Also you can use your voice as an alternative to keys and buttons. "Down" lowers my flaps and "Up" raises them. "Gear" lowers my gear, which toggles on that command...etc...etc.

I really struggled with voice and sound at first, but eventually realised that you have to enter the correct settings in STEAM...problem solved. Also it is easy to accidentally hit the mute button on the Vive Pro which has caused me some confusion.

VR certainly has its frustrations, but I will never go back and will never be buying and non-VR games again.

Finally. I would like to say that High-Tech are under-promoting VR. Good VR games are few and far between and  Aces High is actually one of the best if not THE best VR game currently available, but it appears in no Youtube VR game reviews. We all worry about declining membership and VR could really turn things around.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: Vive Pro Users
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 04:25:22 PM »
YUP Voice Attack is probably the best addition to VR.   I guess its that way because there is NO way to film what we are seeing, in VR. I have heard there may be some Programs that would record VR game play, but those are fairly expensive. That and the cost of VR, makes that unattainable. That and any recording IN VR will be 2D for those without VR. SO :uhoh  I do agree with you though...no going back now :airplane:   Best $400 dollars I ever spent! Even with the issues, like Screen Door Effect and cloudy images...You are IN THE PLANE. Its so immersive I had to clear my desk. Reach for the throttle and knock over a beer...not good at 3am. Sort of wakes up my dog...who then proceeds to wakes up the entire neighborhood :rofl I have great expectations for future VR. The second iteration from Occulus...the S Model, was Night and Day from the Rift as far as improvement went. So maybe soon it will be like every other electronic device we have evolved with. From Flip phone to I-Phone in 2 years,affordable Color TV to LCD 300" wall  paper size TVs, ect.  :rock
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 11:08:15 PM »
Reach for the throttle and knock over a beer

I've ruined 2 battery backups this year doing the same thing just Redbull instead of beer :bhead

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 03:48:52 AM »

I've ruined 2 battery backups this year doing the same thing just Redbull instead of beer :bhead
MADE MY DAY :salute I am NOT the only klutz with VR  :devil My Niece punched a hole in my wall playing Super Hot, so at least I am not THAT BAD  :rofl
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline BTPommyB

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 08:05:32 AM »
When you pay $15 per month and spend many hours playing every day ( which I do), you might as well get the most out of it and VR is like the next five graphics updates in one hit.
VR will save this game and motivate the "oldies", of which I am one. Makes me optimistic about membership.
It is not easy to set up and it can be glitchy. I will be happy to assist Vive users.

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 10:25:27 AM »
I don't have any experience with the vive, but the rift was a pretty straight forward setup. I did however try set up an odyssey plus and it wasn't quite as easy. I never ended up using the odyssey because it seemed to be more of a process than the rift software.
I do agree that VR can change the game, or at least people would enjoy it more. I don't think I could play without it anymore. It did take some time to get used to though, which I believe if more people would give it more time before writing it off, they would feel the same. I don't really notice lack of clarity or screen door effect anymore.
In games like IL2 BOS the clarity issues make aircraft identification very tough at a distance and also in VR hat switches are disabled

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 05:50:16 PM »
I don't have any experience with the vive, but the rift was a pretty straight forward setup. I did however try set up an odyssey plus and it wasn't quite as easy. I never ended up using the odyssey because it seemed to be more of a process than the rift software.
I do agree that VR can change the game, or at least people would enjoy it more. I don't think I could play without it anymore. It did take some time to get used to though, which I believe if more people would give it more time before writing it off, they would feel the same. I don't really notice lack of clarity or screen door effect anymore.
In games like IL2 BOS the clarity issues make aircraft identification very tough at a distance and also in VR hat switches are disabled
Same in DCS. Tats the GREATEST about VR in AcesHigh....Hat Switches are still active. If you need them...it helps in beginning. I am used to turning around now, but been with Oculus for 2 years.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 04:45:25 AM »
VR is starting to accelerator as a tech - the Valve index resolution (1440x1600 per eye) is starting push past those resolution boundaries that put people off. They've just announced Displayport 2 which makes dual 4k 120hz video possible. The inside out tracking systems are making setup much easier... and a certain video 'industry' is really taking up VR (3D 180 degree videos that put you... right in there). And you know once that industry starts to support a product then it's guaranteed a good market op.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 03:43:00 PM »
VR is starting to accelerator as a tech - the Valve index resolution (1440x1600 per eye) is starting push past those resolution boundaries that put people off. They've just announced Displayport 2 which makes dual 4k 120hz video possible. The inside out tracking systems are making setup much easier... and a certain video 'industry' is really taking up VR (3D 180 degree videos that put you... right in there). And you know once that industry starts to support a product then it's guaranteed a good market op.
:uhoh I know not of what you speak :headscratch:  :devil We are still talking Cockpit right? :rofl

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 06:00:57 PM »
Yeah ummm totally cockpit stuff...

Offline BTPommyB

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 07:12:50 AM »
On steam it says VR controllers or keyboard/mouse. No mention that you can play with joystick/thruster, which I do.
Sharpen up your marketing Hi-Tech. Aces High is a great VR game, but you have got to sell it.

Offline Icer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 10:04:10 AM »
Wow, seems like the resolutions have been going up by a lot here since I last looked - https://www.gamingscan.com/best-vr-headset/. Another two years and I may dive in.. but the Vive Pro (standalone w/o controllers) is close to 900 euro here!!  Have to buy it in the US and bring it over, save $300 .. https://www.amazon.com/HTC-VIVE-Virtual-Reality-Headset-PC/dp/B07B5DN22F/ref=sr_1_4?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1562599058&refinements=p_89%3AHTC&rnid=2528832011&s=videogames&sr=1-4&th=1

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 10:18:26 AM by Icer »
Win11 Pro 23H2/ Asus Z790-PLUS D4, / i9-13900KF @5.8Gz, 64GB DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce 4090 - 546.33 drivers/ 3 Samsung 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / TIR 5/ TM Warthog HOTAS w/VirPil stick base/ MFG V3 Pedals/ TM MFDs on 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP/ Varjo Aero VR

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 03:57:54 AM »
Yeah ummm totally cockpit stuff...
HEHEHE. Cockpit :D Thought so :cheers:

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 04:42:07 PM »
Wow, seems like the resolutions have been going up by a lot here since I last looked - https://www.gamingscan.com/best-vr-headset/. Another two years and I may dive in.. but the Vive Pro (standalone w/o controllers) is close to 900 euro here!!  Have to buy it in the US and bring it over, save $300 .. https://www.amazon.com/HTC-VIVE-Virtual-Reality-Headset-PC/dp/B07B5DN22F/ref=sr_1_4?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1562599058&refinements=p_89%3AHTC&rnid=2528832011&s=videogames&sr=1-4&th=1
May I suggest going with the RIFT S? The Vive is more expensive here in States as well.https://www.amazon.com/HTC-Virtual-Reality-System-Starter/dp/B07NQ9GXRC/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2RJWBHFLVTI9W&keywords=vive%2Bpro&qid=1562708407&s=gateway&sprefix=vive%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-4&th=1 You will be hard pressed to get a better VR experience than you can get with the RS. I have used both and even the Acer Windows Mixed Media devices. RIFT S, way up there when ease of set-up/cost is evaluated. Just my opinion though.https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Rift-PC-Powered-Gaming-Headset-pc/dp/B07PTMKYS7/ref=pd_cp_63_1?pd_rd_w=xdb3W&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=ZGSPB3CD47QBX040DS3V&pd_rd_r=42bfed22-a292-11e9-8424-2dbce0cc0929&pd_rd_wg=oOViK&pd_rd_i=B07PTMKYS7&psc=1&refRID=ZGSPB3CD47QBX040DS3V

Offline Icer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 05:28:53 PM »
May I suggest going with the RIFT S? The Vive is more expensive here in States as well.https://www.amazon.com/HTC-Virtual-Reality-System-Starter/dp/B07NQ9GXRC/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2RJWBHFLVTI9W&keywords=vive%2Bpro&qid=1562708407&s=gateway&sprefix=vive%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-4&th=1 You will be hard pressed to get a better VR experience than you can get with the RS. I have used both and even the Acer Windows Mixed Media devices. RIFT S, way up there when ease of set-up/cost is evaluated. Just my opinion though.https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Rift-PC-Powered-Gaming-Headset-pc/dp/B07PTMKYS7/ref=pd_cp_63_1?pd_rd_w=xdb3W&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=ZGSPB3CD47QBX040DS3V&pd_rd_r=42bfed22-a292-11e9-8424-2dbce0cc0929&pd_rd_wg=oOViK&pd_rd_i=B07PTMKYS7&psc=1&refRID=ZGSPB3CD47QBX040DS3V

Appreciate the input! Actually i'm going to wait a while, see what happens and hope I can try whatever is the latest and greatest out then. I used to get "seasick" playing games in an enclosure and I hear that happens with current VR a lot.. Plenty of time, maybe 4k each eye by the time i'm ready!
Win11 Pro 23H2/ Asus Z790-PLUS D4, / i9-13900KF @5.8Gz, 64GB DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce 4090 - 546.33 drivers/ 3 Samsung 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / TIR 5/ TM Warthog HOTAS w/VirPil stick base/ MFG V3 Pedals/ TM MFDs on 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP/ Varjo Aero VR