Author Topic: Hard drive caching under Win10?  (Read 516 times)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Hard drive caching under Win10?
« on: July 05, 2019, 01:17:06 PM »
Under Win10, I found a setting that allows hard drive caching to be toggled on or off.

I’m thinking caching might have been the reason I lost two hard drives over the years under Win7. A less then clear system warning appeared each time, which I dismissed, and the drives both bricked. Yes, I can be stupid, and forgetful.

Any thoughts on the advisability of disabling hard drive caching?

Thanks
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Hard drive caching under Win10?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 01:49:15 PM »
By default it's on and for what I know that is a good choice even with SSD's although the gain may be smaller. However, if the stability of power is questionable at your whereabouts and you don't have a reliable battery backup UPS device, even an unnoticed outage can clear the cache and cause read/write issues.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Hard drive caching under Win10?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 02:05:44 PM »
I suggest you leave it on. It helps smooth out the flow of information reading and writing. It also makes your drive work less on the reading side by caching your request along with some info around if from the drive. If you request again, it does not need to read from the drive as it is already in the cache.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)