Author Topic: Ryzen gen 3  (Read 3240 times)

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
Ryzen gen 3
« on: July 07, 2019, 06:50:02 PM »
Released today and seems to already be sold out on newegg. It's time to build a new PC to replace my sandybridge i5-2500k and the Ryzen 9 3900X is calling my name. Should see a slight improvement in performance.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
Re: Ryzen gen 3
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 08:24:32 AM »
For gaming specifically the 3800X is your best bet.  And cheaper.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 04:58:40 AM »
They didn't gain much in clockspeed but are a lot more efficient and boosted IPC over previous gen.
3700X seems to be very close to 9900K in games and leads with a good margin in productive loads.
A quick note regarding TDP: a 65W part may now consume up to 88W, the 105W part up to ~140W under certain conditions (low CPU and ambient temperatures AFAIK).

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 09:59:47 AM »
For gaming specifically the 3800X is your best bet.  And cheaper.

I don't play any games currently. Mostly do photo editing in LR and PS and those have my CPU maxed out quite a bit in processing. I think I will benefit from the 12 cores and hopefully that will last as long as this system has (I built it in 2011).  I'm thinking 32GB Ram, 3900X, and the 5700XT should be a decent build.

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 11:54:00 AM »
A quick note regarding TDP: a 65W part may now consume up to 88W, the 105W part up to ~140W under certain conditions (low CPU and ambient temperatures AFAIK).

Thats not what I heard: https://youtu.be/z3aEv3EzMyQ?t=330

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 04:41:17 PM »
It's correct as I wrote - with sufficient cooling and low temps the TDP may be exceeded up to that level. It may require feedback/information from VRM temp sensor though. Duration is not time but temp limited.
I'm not a fan of this, it's some point inbetween standard intel turbo boost (time limited TDP exception) and MCE (max boost for all cores without limit).

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 05:22:55 PM »
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 03:26:00 AM »
Just got done getting all necessary chipset drivers (latest 19.10.16 for Ryzen 3rd Gen CPU support) and all UEFI updates (had F25 installed for Ryzen 2nd Gen CPU support, flashed up to F30 to get the new AGESA 0.0.7.2 installed to support Ryzen 3rd Gen CPU's, then flashed up to F31 to prep for last flash up to latest F40 which gives Ryzen 3rd Gen CPU support) so now I'm ready to drop a Ryzen 9 3900X CPU onto my mobo. All flashed up and running fine so all that is left is to install the new 3900X CPU when I order it from Newegg....which will now be soon.

Shouldn't have any issues running this CPU on my GA-AX370 K5 mobo as the VRM's/mosfets are fully capable of handling this CPU as is (3900X has the same TDP as my current Ryzen 7 1800X CPU) and will also be under my closed loop water-cooling setup so should also stay pretty cool as well.

Gonna be interesting……………………………….

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 08:41:26 PM »
Just got done getting all necessary chipset drivers (latest 19.10.16 for Ryzen 3rd Gen CPU support) and all UEFI updates (had F25 installed for Ryzen 2nd Gen CPU support, flashed up to F30 to get the new AGESA 0.0.7.2 installed to support Ryzen 3rd Gen CPU's, then flashed up to F31 to prep for last flash up to latest F40 which gives Ryzen 3rd Gen CPU support) so now I'm ready to drop a Ryzen 9 3900X CPU onto my mobo. All flashed up and running fine so all that is left is to install the new 3900X CPU when I order it from Newegg....which will now be soon.

Shouldn't have any issues running this CPU on my GA-AX370 K5 mobo as the VRM's/mosfets are fully capable of handling this CPU as is (3900X has the same TDP as my current Ryzen 7 1800X CPU) and will also be under my closed loop water-cooling setup so should also stay pretty cool as well.

Gonna be interesting……………………………….

Update:

While waiting on the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X CPUs to come back in stock the BIOS chips on my Gigabyte GA-AX370 K5 mobo somehow got very unstable (started locking up the mobo on warm boots & some cold boots & stopped allowing any BIOS updates thru BIOS...had to use the Gigabyte Windows @BIOS app to flash BIOS to clean the corrupted BIOS a couple of times) so I've pulled this mobo and went w\ a MSI AM4 X570 Gaming Plus mobo (noted that Gigabyte X570 mobo reviews were reporting several BIOS chip issues so I bypassed them this round) to replace it (had very good reviews & a lot of useful features w\o all the RGB bling at a good price point for X570 mobos) but forgot that these X570 mobos will not work w\ a 1st Gen Ryzen CPU (have a working Ryzen 7 1800X CPU spare now) so I am waiting on my new AMD Ryzen 9 3900X CPU to arrive Monday to install then get my box back up & running......after dealing w\ MS to revalidate my copy of Win 10 Home w\ this new mobo.

Good thing that these AMD AM4 ATX mobo manuf's are sticking to the initial AMD AM4 referenced block design as all my WC'ing setup went back onto this MSI X570 mobo w\o any changes needing to be made in any of the tubing......from a x370 mobo to a x570 mobo.....a straight up plug & play swapout that will also allow me to swap out the CPU w\o draining\disassembling my loop! The 1 plus for the MSI mobo is that the M.2 slot that routes thru the CPU socket is located above the 1st PCI-E X16 slot instead of under it so my Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD will get a lot more air flow across it & run much cooler than it did on my old Gigabyte mobo due to my XFX Radeon RX Vega 64 vid card blocking some airflow over the SSD.........
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 08:47:34 PM »
The 3900X was hard to find and I ended up spending $50 over the standard $499 just because it was in stock and would arrive in time to complete my new build as my old computer was starting to randomly crash. I'm loving the new setup so far. The only thing I struggled with was trying to get RAID to work. I said F-it and gave up on the RAID.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 09:53:23 AM »
Update:

While waiting on the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X CPUs to come back in stock the BIOS chips on my Gigabyte GA-AX370 K5 mobo somehow got very unstable (started locking up the mobo on warm boots & some cold boots & stopped allowing any BIOS updates thru BIOS...had to use the Gigabyte Windows @BIOS app to flash BIOS to clean the corrupted BIOS a couple of times) so I've pulled this mobo and went w\ a MSI AM4 X570 Gaming Plus mobo (noted that Gigabyte X570 mobo reviews were reporting several BIOS chip issues so I bypassed them this round) to replace it (had very good reviews & a lot of useful features w\o all the RGB bling at a good price point for X570 mobos) but forgot that these X570 mobos will not work w\ a 1st Gen Ryzen CPU (have a working Ryzen 7 1800X CPU spare now) so I am waiting on my new AMD Ryzen 9 3900X CPU to arrive Monday to install then get my box back up & running......after dealing w\ MS to revalidate my copy of Win 10 Home w\ this new mobo.

Good thing that these AMD AM4 ATX mobo manuf's are sticking to the initial AMD AM4 referenced block design as all my WC'ing setup went back onto this MSI X570 mobo w\o any changes needing to be made in any of the tubing......from a x370 mobo to a x570 mobo.....a straight up plug & play swapout that will also allow me to swap out the CPU w\o draining\disassembling my loop! The 1 plus for the MSI mobo is that the M.2 slot that routes thru the CPU socket is located above the 1st PCI-E X16 slot instead of under it so my Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD will get a lot more air flow across it & run much cooler than it did on my old Gigabyte mobo due to my XFX Radeon RX Vega 64 vid card blocking some airflow over the SSD.........

So Pudgie what kind of permance increase do you expect over our Ryzen 7 1800X?
Who is John Galt?

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 10:26:55 AM »
I've been researching and picking components for building a new AMD Ryzen 9 3900x using one of the new ASUS MB's with the trx40 chipsets , 8 memory DIMM slots ( 2 X quad channel), depending on MB model 2 to 4 PCIe 4.0 X 16 with all sorts of built in goodies.....

Finding good price deals is the main thing...oh, also picking a Radeon VII with 16 GB HBM video memory (typos ?)

Just MB, CPU, GPU, (8) 8 GB DIMMs (64 GB system ram), 2 SSDs, 2 nvme pics 4.0 M2 slot drives, and a seasoning PSU puts the cost around $2,300.00...

This will be the last PC build out that I will ever do...doubt I will still be living by the time gets here to where this build will become obsolete, heh....

Am at my sister's place on my phone.... I plan to post links to the components/build for input from others (Pudgie) to see if anyone sees any conflicts or descrepencies..

TC

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2019, 09:15:42 PM »
The 3900X was hard to find and I ended up spending $50 over the standard $499 just because it was in stock and would arrive in time to complete my new build as my old computer was starting to randomly crash. I'm loving the new setup so far. The only thing I struggled with was trying to get RAID to work. I said F-it and gave up on the RAID.

Hi SilverZ06,

Yeah I know what you mean, could never find it in stock on Newegg so I tried Amazon & lo & behold they had it in stock at the std $499.95 to boot so I jumped on that as fast as I saw it! Typing on her right now. I gave up on running RAID arrays years ago...mostly due to the fact that I really don't have a need for RAID arrays & since the advent of NVMe SSD's I really don't now but you're usage needs are most likely far different from mine.

Going thru the setup stages right now to get all dialed up like I like it (took a break to type this posting).

So Pudgie what kind of permance increase do you expect over our Ryzen 7 1800X?

Hi Vinkman,

At the most the basic differences would be clock speed, IPC & PBO (clock speed would matter most when gaming is concerned....looking at this CPU thru MSI AB the 1st 3 CPU cores are easily hitting 4.5 GHz-4.6 GHz on default BIOS settings w\ all the rest shut down due to AMD's Cool & Quiet in conjunction w\ my modded Win Power.cfg file & I'm on WC'ing which will release this CPU's full performance) & all the rest of the performance gains due to having 4 more cores/8 more threads vs a 1800X, but you don't need a Ryzen 9 3900X to get gaming improvements over a Ryzen 7 1800X.....a Ryzen 5 3600X 6-core CPU & up would easily get you the same but you'd have to update the mobo to fully realize it (mostly for PBO but to ensure that you get all they can get you at minimum a X470 chipset mobo but from what I have noted of the prices recently, if you're on a X3xx series mobo just skip the X4xx series & go to the latest X5xx series & enjoy. But you CAN run a 3rd gen Ryzen CPU on a X350, X370 mobo w\ a series of BIOS updates if your mobo manuf has them available but the performance will be somewhat limited).

But the Ryzen 7 1800X is still a good chip to have for an all around performance usage for a 1st gen Ryzen CPU, even today so unless you're itching to upgrade something IMHO just hang tight & enjoy what you have as that CPU on X350, X370 mobos will still be good for quite some time. But if you just gotta…………...can't go wrong w\ 3rd gen AMD Ryzen series...…….

But for reference the only parts I've changed is the mobo & CPU, that's it. Reusing all the rest.... Didn't even install a fresh copy of Win 10 Home either & my Win 10 accepted this new mobo & CPU & activated itself like it was initially installed on it.....this was a surprise as I was all set on having to call MS to get it reactivated!

I've been researching and picking components for building a new AMD Ryzen 9 3900x using one of the new ASUS MB's with the trx40 chipsets , 8 memory DIMM slots ( 2 X quad channel), depending on MB model 2 to 4 PCIe 4.0 X 16 with all sorts of built in goodies.....

Finding good price deals is the main thing...oh, also picking a Radeon VII with 16 GB HBM video memory (typos ?)

Just MB, CPU, GPU, (8) 8 GB DIMMs (64 GB system ram), 2 SSDs, 2 nvme pics 4.0 M2 slot drives, and a seasoning PSU puts the cost around $2,300.00...

This will be the last PC build out that I will ever do...doubt I will still be living by the time gets here to where this build will become obsolete, heh....

Am at my sister's place on my phone.... I plan to post links to the components/build for input from others (Pudgie) to see if anyone sees any conflicts or descrepencies..

TC

Hi TC,

Well now, that is sure going to be a build! The 1 thing I can suggest to you right now TC is to get a good HSF for the 3900X so that you can realize her full potential.....don't have to be WC'ing but get a better 1 than the 1 that comes w\ the CPU & make sure that you get a PSU that has provision to run 2 CPU power cables to the CPU as these X570 mobos will have 1 8-pin & 1 4-pin CPU power connector.....I'm sure that Seasonic PSU's should come w\ these (my Seasonic PRIME Gold had them).

Don't need the 2nd CPU power cable to actually run the CPU but to ensure full speed\performance you'll need both cables.....

And I'm w\ you as well on this being the last upgrade as far as main components go for me w\ the exception maybe being a vid card sometime down the road. I still want to get 1 of them Intel Optane 2.5" 480 Gb SSD's to finish my box out but definitely not in any hurry to do so...…………..

Hope this helps.

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 06:34:46 AM »
Hi SilverZ06,

Yeah I know what you mean, could never find it in stock on Newegg so I tried Amazon & lo & behold they had it in stock at the std $499.95 to boot so I jumped on that as fast as I saw it! Typing on her right now. I gave up on running RAID arrays years ago...mostly due to the fact that I really don't have a need for RAID arrays & since the advent of NVMe SSD's I really don't now but you're usage needs are most likely far different from mine.

I was trying to run raid1 for a redundant copy of my photos on two of my drives.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2019, 08:02:54 AM »
Thanks Pudgie.  I am currently running DX11 version, all settings maxed, at 4096 texture size at standard field of view, 1 monitor, TrackIR, V-Sinc enabled and holding at a steady 60 FPS.   So no need yet.  :salute
Who is John Galt?