Author Topic: Voice Attack  (Read 709 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Voice Attack
« on: July 09, 2019, 04:17:49 PM »
I remember years ago that GMAN had showed me a voice command software we used while flying EAW - and now I forget what it was called but it worked pretty good.

What exactly is Voice Attack and is it worth the coin?  Could be good for ALL kinds of games - like bringing up menu items, inventory, or other infrequently used items that you've run out of buttons for.

So - thoughts?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: Voice Attack
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 04:25:19 PM »
I remember years ago that GMAN had showed me a voice command software we used while flying EAW - and now I forget what it was called but it worked pretty good.

What exactly is Voice Attack and is it worth the coin?  Could be good for ALL kinds of games - like bringing up menu items, inventory, or other infrequently used items that you've run out of buttons for.

So - thoughts?
IMO....Voice Attack is a MUST HAVE. They have a FREE version, that supports I believe 20 Commands. It DOES NOT have updates or Tech help with it though. Its not very expensive, if memory serves around $15 bucks? Unlimited Commands/Profiles. It requires training your Windows Speech Recognition Engine, but that is easy....just go through the Training program in Speech recognition. Try it out for free...pretty sure you will be like most of us that use it!!! This is SWEET, I need more, and Buy It! :aok   
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 04:57:09 PM »
It's probably the best 8 or maybe 10 dollars I've ever spent on software.  I highly recommend it. It made bombing in VR enjoyable again not to mention all of the other things you can do with it

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 06:31:30 PM »
It's probably the best 8 or maybe 10 dollars I've ever spent on software.  I highly recommend it. It made bombing in VR enjoyable again not to mention all of the other things you can do with it

I concur.

Simple to use, and so far, flawless.

:cheers:

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 02:11:38 PM »
Been messing with it for a few days. I found with the Rift S typing is almost impossible. There's no space to look under your nose to speak of. Especially if I'm wearing glasses which is the plan while flying so the keyboard is WAY our of range of my eyes! While the Rift S has a cool feature called "Pass Thru" that lets you use the tracking cameras on the headset to look around, it's really just a general kind of looking around. Not on the outskirts of clear at all. Clear enough you can see there's a keyboard in front of you but can't make out the keys at all. Clear enough so that you can find your beer out in front of you somewhere. Yaknow---the important stuff. Maybe what you just tripped over if you were standing. Like that.

VA works great as long as you've followed the setup and trained your voice well. Set up your mic and some key to start and stop it listening for a command and you're good to go. I used the back key on my mouse as I don't use it in game for anything else and it's easy enough to find. After testing it and seeing how well it worked I bought the full version so I could add more commands. Think it was ten bucks. Even silly stuff like for bombing, which I suck at anyway. But made a voice command to go into and out of the bombsight. Into calibration mode. Hold down the Y key for 60 seconds (can make it whatever). Another one to kill the Y hold if I don't have that long. Change salvo. It works and saves bumbling through a lot of keystrokes.  Found how to get it to type in the buffer and have a command set up to bring up squad, country, range or 200. It ain't perfect, but it's pretty good. If it messes up I have a command to backspace either once or 4 times to clear what it's mistyped.

Of course, I could just put some little plastic dots on the keys of my keyboard to find em and type that way too but this was way easier. Two thumbs up.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group