Author Topic: Seagate hard drives  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Seagate hard drives
« on: July 27, 2019, 06:41:16 AM »
Most everyone knows not to buy them. Here's a video that demonstrates why that is (and yes, every one of them I have opened in the past looks like this one example).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b0JcNqkZrk
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Seagate hard drives
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 09:01:23 AM »
We used to call them Seacrates back in the 90s.   
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 09:33:55 AM »
Even with you showing visual facts......

Some will still buy Seagate HDs.....

Heh..

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 11:54:16 AM »
That raised a question: Are they all as poor as that "Rosewood" model used in cheap external drives and other OEM installations?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 08:25:32 PM »
Garbage that they are, I've held on to one 1tb 7200rpm Seagate that came with some system or another back in 2012, I can't even remember where I got it. Use it daily, read/right various downloads/crap to it, just trying to get it to die.  Stubborn thing won't.  For spinner drives I've stuck to WD Blacks, I got a deal on 3 4TB ones (not sure if they even make the 4tb anymore), and they've been absolutely bullet proof thus far.  I have a 2tb one as well.  My latest builds were z390 Asrock Taichi boards with 3 m2 slots, when you fill up those m.2 with 3 1 tb drives, I find myself using my spinners a lot less for anything other than mass storage of movies/books/music now.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 01:18:41 PM »
Sooo... thats what happened toHillary's emails

:D
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 08:23:23 PM »
Sooo... thats what happened toHillary's emails

:D

:rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 11:39:08 PM »
funny thing i got a hitachi 1 gb, trb whatever, cant remeber but it's a lot of bytes in there.  when i bought and tried to install in about 12 maybe longer years ago, i dropped it and tried to catch it with my foot and kicked it instead bounced off the kitchen cabinet with lots of plastic parts missing. damn thing still works, I also have a wd 500 whatever bytes that i bought about 10 years ago and an ssd samsung evo 240 that i bought about 5 or 6 years ago.  that damn ssd i did everything i could to make it fail short of using a hammer.  they all still work.  maybe I am just lucky.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 11:30:13 AM »
I personally never had a Seagate fail on one of my systems, I didn't use them preferentially, but I used a few of them for years with no noticeable issues.

In the same time period, the wife went through 3 or 4.  It never occurred to me they were Seagates until after the fact I remembered that they were.  She's on WD now, haven't had an issue since.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 11:55:36 AM »
FWIW replacing broken hard disks used to be a common task for me about a decade ago. I bought them in bunches of five or so. Then all of the sudden the demand stopped. I still have a couple of 250 GB disks left, both PATA and SATA. This year I may have changed a disk about once in a month and in several cases connected it to upgrading from Win7 to Win10 regardless if the original disk were failing or not.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 06:09:52 PM »
I've used Seagates almost exclusively (not my SSDs) since Quantum stopped being Quantum, only had one drive fail and that was due to external heat factors. I've been building my own PCs (and my kids) since the mid-80's.