Author Topic: Long drive  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Long drive
« on: August 02, 2019, 08:22:11 PM »
I just had a very sad journey, 10 hour drive down to Ft. Bragg area and of course 10 hours back to home, with a few final days in between to spend with my teammate, my fellow Green Beret, my friend.   Our paths just keep crossing and hitting the same challenges of life, many around the same time.   It seemed we always had each other and each other’s back, even when the chips were down, like at Lang Vie when the tanks (not ours) showed up.   Sometimes it was hard to tell if we were friends, like at jump school, the morning after a big night out, very hung over, we were jumping with chutes we had just packed ourselves.  He was behind me on the aircraft because I was an inch taller than him and third from the door, we had stood up, hooked up, and run through the equipment check,  he leaned in real close to my left ear and said: “Sorry, I just realized I packed your chute, good luck”.  We both had disaster first marriages, although he went on to wife 2 & 3 while I remained unattached for a long time.  His luck changed with wife number 4 and after he met my than girlfriend, Kathleen, he told me to stop being stupid and marry that girl. I did.  He helped me bury my son in 1974, a casualty to agent orange, before any of us knew it was a thing.   He helped me bury Kathleen in 2013.  He has two sons and a daughter,   Each with families of their own. Five grand kids with more on the way.   We sat with other members of our team, not many left of the original 18, just a handful, we tried to be of good cheer, told tall tails of adventures of our youth, bad memories, like us, softened by the passage of time.  Then in an instant, just as in war, he was gone.  Later his wife handed me an envelope and told me that he had instructed her not to give them out until it was over.  It was a note from him with the two hundred dollars he had borrowed from me while on R&R together in Vung Tau.  The note just said: “ I always pay my debts, sorry if it’s a little late, I’ll give Kathleen a kiss for you when I see her, oh and that Bar Girl in Vung Tau that I needed the money for, she gave me crabs”.   Like all the members of my team, I don’t remember us a being the bravest or most courageous, we did our jobs and watched out for our teammates, to a man we all move forward when needed.  Not because we were willing to die for our follow man, no one wants to die.  I never thought of us as a band of brothers.  it was more of a group of good friends not wanting to let the other guys down.  The things you think of on a long drive home.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Long drive
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 08:49:52 PM »
 :salute

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 08:56:43 PM »
My condolences for your loss Traveler.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 09:20:37 PM »

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 11:50:48 PM »
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 11:55:17 PM »
Then in an instant, just as in war, he was gone.  Later his wife handed me an envelope and told me that he had instructed her not to give them out until it was over.  It was a note from him with the two hundred dollars he had borrowed from me while on R&R together in Vung Tau.  The note just said: “ I always pay my debts, sorry if it’s a little late, I’ll give Kathleen a kiss for you when I see her, oh and that Bar Girl in Vung Tau that I needed the money for, she gave me crabs”.   

I'm not that far away from you.  Might be worthwhile to meet up.

Did you ever make it to the wall?

- oldman

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 06:11:05 AM »

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 07:02:40 AM »
A humbling life story Traveler. Thank you for posting.

Bless your team mate and bless you too. Time carries on.

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 09:42:16 AM »
The definition of comradery.   :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 10:04:17 AM »

Sorry for your loss. Keep the memories, that's all we take with us when we go.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 11:32:30 AM »
Nothing beats having a comrade you can always totally trust to have your back.
Sorry for your loss.  :salute
Ground Pounders ...

Online SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 01:28:52 PM »
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 06:17:52 PM »

Did you ever make it to the wall?

- oldman
It's a journey I've attempted many times but have been unable to complete. Just to many names on that wall, Special Forces I carried a weapon and a Medic bag, just to many memories, it's a journey that has become less important to me over time.  I work within a PTSD group of wounded warriors providing aid and comfort to seniors both Vets and none Vets alike. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2019, 04:04:14 AM »
The definition of comradery.   :salute
:rock Its pretty AWESOME for an Outsider(never served) looking in! Case in point...My uncle Dennis Thompson the Baddest Arse(USMC) I ever knew, passed recently. He was suffering from Seizures stemming from and On-Duty (Ripley West, Va. PD) event in 88'. He was VERY active with Marine Charities(Toys for Tots mostly), so he was close to a few Marines. When we interred him....7 of his Fellow Marines...including 5 of his Active Service friends(from Vietnam/Gitmo/Camp Lejeune) sent Flowers..and 2 actually showed up in person(his service buds). Never really realized that they had stayed in touch. Made an impression as to the strength of bonds! Should have known I guess? My Grand Father got a Christmas and Birthday Card every year from one of his Marine Friends/Brothers(WW2). Hell...even after his friend and subsequently my Grand Fathers death....the "buddies" Daughter continued sending these cards(Christmas anyway).It sure meant a lot to Granny! Guess her Father really instilled in her, how much they loved/bonded with, each other. So that means, I can almost understand what Traveler is going through! Sorry Brother...he is just saving a seat for you now in Heaven! Friends like that...TRAVELER....Man you were lucky!  :rock   :salute
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 04:08:45 AM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2019, 10:07:02 AM »
My condolences. 
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate