Author Topic: New Terrain in MA today.  (Read 4762 times)

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
Re: New Terrain in MA today.
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2019, 10:57:46 PM »
Good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2019, 12:38:35 AM »
pigs took a base with low numbers, then on the next base we would have taking it too if I hadnt messed up my drop.  but all in all was fun, we had tanks fighting each others, planes fighting each other and then there were bases with no tanks where we had a lot of fun just fighting each other over water, few tanks involved.

for this map you have to change your strategy that's for sure, but bases can be taken.

semp
Good point SEMP  :aok Its that different, especially with the "defense Spawn"(as bustr called it) bases. Nice touch, makes killing VH first a priority. Flight times to fight greatly reduced...well IF you dont mind getting there low. Even 1 base behind cuts WAY DOWN flight time as per other maps! KNOCKED IT OUT OF THE PARK, bustr...imo :rock
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2019, 03:53:46 PM »
Haven't seen so many tank furballs under air furballs in one location in years. I thought about what made the V85 spawn battle work and put in that tiny spawn out to the inbound spawns and those spawn control feilds that had no spawns into them that kept feeding GV's into the center of fights around towns. It took two days before people caught on that you have to drop two VH if you want to dominate the feilds at the fronts. I was pleasantly surprised watching players use 110G again to take out VH and ord like they used to in AH2. I forgot about all the small dips I put in around feilds and that is how tankers were hiding across those 3000yd long open shooting vistas. It's been years since I've listened to players brag about nailing each other out to 3000yds regularly in tank fights.

The default tree and clutter tiles for AH3 turned the tank combat game into a short range hide and sneak ambush game. I watched over the last three years our tank combat getting a bit timid dominated by a small number who excelled at sneaking and ambushing. These first three days of fjordma tank combat turned into a slug fest with lots of loud chatter and screaming on range as players got nailed and immediately spawned back in for revenge. I suspect with 70% less trees and clutter, with open vistas to see tanks a long way off, made players feel they had a chance to get that revenge. Looked and sounded that way to me as I lurked for those three day looking and listening for bugs or problems.

I could simply be optimistic here but, I think my choice of using Hitech's default cloud base elevation for clouds at 3000ft helped in all of those inland valley field attacks to keep the furballs out of the stratosphere. I doubt anyone noticed the cloud banks had a 4 hour persistence before they recycled back to their starting position with no cool down period.

Two big complaints for the last three years have been the thickness of the trees\clutter and slow action. For aircraft all I could do is make sure the largest number of airfields were the minimum distance apart. Didn't hurt a few fields in each country sit in the same long valley with 5,000ft ridges on each side. For the GVers who have griped the loudest over the last three years, I used a tree tile with 70% less trees, very few bushes, and long open vistas to see down. Then I brought the inbound spawns in 1 mile closer to the town or port while placing a short spawn out from the field or port to meet the inbound spawns. Otherwise the airfields have always been at a disadvantage having to drive 2 miles to the town, then up to 3 miles out to the spawn while the attackers got to setup to ambush them giving them the advantage unless someone came out with bombs. With the attackers and defenders able to spawn near each other, almost instant GV combat happened at every spawn battle on fjordma.

At this point Hitech owns the project so I cannot change anything on it. Hopefully he will change the home port for C90 back to P89 and that country will be able to enjoy the use of both of it's task groups when fjordma comes up again in the MA. Instead of telling me whats wrong with this terrain for those who always show up for that at this point. Just build your own terrain and show us all the right way to build an MA terrain if you believe you know better. I know this is only my 4th MA terrain so I suppose I'm still new at it... :rolleyes: You have no clue what it takes to build one or all the limitations that go with it just to get one looking like fjordma. :P
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline gflyer

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2019, 04:33:44 PM »
Nice job on the map.  Not having all those trees also cuts down on disappearing airplanes, nice bonus for the air guys. 

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2019, 06:20:50 PM »
Look forward to checking it out when I get back to playing next month!

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2019, 08:26:10 PM »
You have no clue what it takes to build one or all the limitations that go with it just to get one looking like fjordma. :P

Again, Thanks so much.  Great map!   :aok
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2019, 01:42:41 AM »
Haven't seen so many tank furballs under air furballs in one location in years. I thought about what made the V85 spawn battle work and put in that tiny spawn out to the inbound spawns and those spawn control feilds that had no spawns into them that kept feeding GV's into the center of fights around towns. It took two days before people caught on that you have to drop two VH if you want to dominate the feilds at the fronts. I was pleasantly surprised watching players use 110G again to take out VH and ord like they used to in AH2. I forgot about all the small dips I put in around feilds and that is how tankers were hiding across those 3000yd long open shooting vistas. It's been years since I've listened to players brag about nailing each other out to 3000yds regularly in tank fights.

The default tree and clutter tiles for AH3 turned the tank combat game into a short range hide and sneak ambush game. I watched over the last three years our tank combat getting a bit timid dominated by a small number who excelled at sneaking and ambushing. These first three days of fjordma tank combat turned into a slug fest with lots of loud chatter and screaming on range as players got nailed and immediately spawned back in for revenge. I suspect with 70% less trees and clutter, with open vistas to see tanks a long way off, made players feel they had a chance to get that revenge. Looked and sounded that way to me as I lurked for those three day looking and listening for bugs or problems.

I could simply be optimistic here but, I think my choice of using Hitech's default cloud base elevation for clouds at 3000ft helped in all of those inland valley field attacks to keep the furballs out of the stratosphere. I doubt anyone noticed the cloud banks had a 4 hour persistence before they recycled back to their starting position with no cool down period.

Two big complaints for the last three years have been the thickness of the trees\clutter and slow action. For aircraft all I could do is make sure the largest number of airfields were the minimum distance apart. Didn't hurt a few fields in each country sit in the same long valley with 5,000ft ridges on each side. For the GVers who have griped the loudest over the last three years, I used a tree tile with 70% less trees, very few bushes, and long open vistas to see down. Then I brought the inbound spawns in 1 mile closer to the town or port while placing a short spawn out from the field or port to meet the inbound spawns. Otherwise the airfields have always been at a disadvantage having to drive 2 miles to the town, then up to 3 miles out to the spawn while the attackers got to setup to ambush them giving them the advantage unless someone came out with bombs. With the attackers and defenders able to spawn near each other, almost instant GV combat happened at every spawn battle on fjordma.

At this point Hitech owns the project so I cannot change anything on it. Hopefully he will change the home port for C90 back to P89 and that country will be able to enjoy the use of both of it's task groups when fjordma comes up again in the MA. Instead of telling me whats wrong with this terrain for those who always show up for that at this point. Just build your own terrain and show us all the right way to build an MA terrain if you believe you know better. I know this is only my 4th MA terrain so I suppose I'm still new at it... :rolleyes: You have no clue what it takes to build one or all the limitations that go with it just to get one looking like fjordma. :P
My observation as well! Seems the GV aspect of play was a PLUS 1. That was the feeling I had at least...from "tankers". Great job,Sir!  :rock
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2019, 11:26:53 AM »
This terrain is so so....... soooooooo nice.

Great job bustr.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline BTPommyB

• Zinc Member
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2019, 07:11:37 AM »
New terrain is great.
This, with server upgrade, is a good sign that HT is taking us seriously.
My ping from Australia seems to have improved a teeny bit by the way.

Offline Harry46

• Zinc Member
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2019, 05:26:13 PM »
Tried getting to tank crater from the distant spawn, since the bish had our field at the crater.  Got repeatedly whacked by a Tiger 2 that had set up camp.  Tried to bomb him out of there, got whacked by someone in an 88.  Logged off.  Maybe it's just because I'm low in points, but it's not worth it to me to ride a learning curve just to get to a tanking area.  This isn't worth $15 a month either, imho.   

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2019, 05:30:02 PM »
Tried getting to tank crater from the distant spawn, since the bish had our field at the crater.  Got repeatedly whacked by a Tiger 2 that had set up camp.  Tried to bomb him out of there, got whacked by someone in an 88.  Logged off.  Maybe it's just because I'm low in points, but it's not worth it to me to ride a learning curve just to get to a tanking area.  This isn't worth $15 a month either, imho.   

War is Hell.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2019, 06:08:59 PM »

We all have died a lot. Yesterday you were also upping from a capped field. We were trying to take that field. So we didn't let anybody up.  It's not fair, but what you failed to realize is that you and another player kept us low. 5 or 6 if your friends came in high from another field and nailed us.

I know it wasn't your intention but sometimes we fail to see the big picture.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2019, 08:40:31 PM »
It's not fair, but what you failed to realize is that you and another player kept us low. 5 or 6 if your friends came in high from another field and nailed us.

So Harry (and me!) get the Torpedo Eight award.

Seems cold comfort, somehow.

- oldman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2019, 09:10:11 PM »

Once you learn the game..... and there is a lot to learn..... it is easily worth $15 a month. Ask questions. Many here will help you learn quicker. Your ranked in the top 80 over all. Thats pretty darn good if your looking for a score. 5th in vehicles. You just need to fine tune your game. Dont give up, your coming along great!

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2019, 12:08:17 PM »
Once you learn the game..... and there is a lot to learn..... it is easily worth $15 a month. Ask questions. Many here will help you learn quicker. Your ranked in the top 80 over all. Thats pretty darn good if your looking for a score. 5th in vehicles. You just need to fine tune your game. Dont give up, your coming along great!
He’s been known to camp spawns and runways. He knows what he’s doing.