Author Topic: Looking for a squad  (Read 755 times)

Offline Dread

• Zinc Member
Looking for a squad
« on: August 10, 2019, 06:19:23 AM »
Hey all,

I'm new to the game and loving it. I play using a Windows Mixed Reality VR Headset, Hotas 1 Stick and throttle and Have a mic and headset if any of that info is pertinent.
I like the guys I've flown with in the Knights so I am going to stay there.

Like I said I am new, I've always been a good pilot in games but this is a complete new learning curve and I'm frankly terrible currently. But I just see that as a challenge.

I'm 40 years of age and male.

Callsign: Dread.

See you all in game :)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Looking for a squad
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 08:28:45 AM »
Welcome to the game Dread! <S>

The message boards dont get a lot of traffic. My suggestion to you is to continue to do what you have been doing. You like the guys your flying with on Knights, thats great. The next step is to find out which of these guys/gals are flying in a squad, which squad, and then ask to fly with them. Use that as a try out period. You'll find out if that squad is a fun fit for you or not. If it is, after a few weeks, ask them if you could join. Most squads are looking for fun players that are willing to help out with what ever the rest of the squad is doing.

Good luck, and welcome to the game.

Offline Dread

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 05:38:48 AM »
Thanks Fugitive,

That sounds like a good plan. I am still trying to learn the game so a squad might help me learn the nuances a little better/faster.
I'll keep an eye and see who I fly with regularly and go from there.

Thanks again, will see you in game.

Dread

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 04:58:50 AM »
Welcome to the game Dread.

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 08:51:04 AM »
Welcome to Aces High Dread.

You can also get with a trainer (shameless plug) to help you with the learning curve of AH. You seem to have the right attitude, and that goes a long way towards success.
If you're interested in some training send me a pm, or post in the  Help and Training section of the forum.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline BOBO

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 09:06:16 AM »
Welcome to the game Dread.

I agree with Fugitive. 
It is best to approach squad membership as whether or not a particular squad is a good fit for you, not whether or not you're a good fit for a squadron.  I'm a big believer in trying out different countries as well while you're a free agent (especially when ENY is high where you are).

Also, I suggest trying out FSO on a friday night.  I believe walk-ons are ok so long as you're in the arena  enough time ahead of the mission launch time to download and set up teamspeak ventrillo etc...

A lot of squads like the one I'm in do not actively recruit and may not respond if you call out on country channel.  If you want to check out a particular squad I suggest using the clipboard roster and map to see where they're operating and asking on country what's needed where they're attacking or defending.

The training arena offers a huge benefit with trainers and I've found that the divebombing range with its air start option helps a person to learn divebombing quickly.  If you're not alone in there you can also turn on the lead computing gunsight to improve one's gunnery.
 :cheers:

Offline Dread

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 10:49:05 AM »
hey guys, thanks so much for the replies and welcomes! :cheers:

Sik I would love some training if you're offering. I'll post on the training board in a few.. look forward to picking up some hints and tips.  :airplane:

I have been flying with a few in the Knights, normally the same guys each evening...I started 5 days ago now and I just clocked 30 Flying hours. I'm at 33 Kills and 23 assists I think? so I am getting to grips with it but there are times like lastnight that everything seems to go wrong for me and I only get 1 or 2 kills the entire evening. (also dying alot by enemies flying into me so that doesn't help) but all I think the training will really help as I feel that the reason I'm having such bad days is maybe because I don't understand some of the finer points of the game yet? more the mechanics and technical aspects. Like ENY? what is it and what impact does it have on the handlability of the craft? I find that I've had most success with the Spitfire Mk V and the Hurricane (latest model can't remember the mk currently) they have 2 different ENY values and yet I find fly similarly, on the flip side the BF109 is a brick in comparison... so alot of the technical I don't get yet and I feel will help my game understanding tremendously. Equally I black out, like ALOT by pushing my aircraft too fast, too many G's etc but I find if I try handle it slower then I'm out turned by everyone and can't get on their six or get them off mine. Not a sensitivity I'm used to in any flying sim game. I've had the blackout sensitivity in games before but not as sensitive.

so like I said, yeah so much to learn! but hopefully picking these things up will help... I might when in the rotation of maps try out the other countries and see how I get on with them but the guys I've met in the Knights seem like a cool bunch so I've enjoyed flying with them thus far.

Anyway thanks again for the tips and that... Imma head over to the training boards now and put a post up for Sik lol..

also in relation to the squads thing, I've kind of adopted the flying with people and see approach as Fugitive suggested. I'll give the events a go at somestage when I can but the last one I noticed was I think Sunday night and I'm in Ireland and it didn't start till 2am my time, so these might be out for me. But we'll see.

thank you again all.. much appreciated.

Cya'll in game
Dread :bolt:

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 11:22:40 AM »
A book could be written about ENY, but in a nutshell each plane and vehicle are assigned a value based on how "good" they are/how easy they are to fly/how versatile they are.

In a general sense, the more "late war" the plane is, the lower the ENY is because it is 'better'. There are some outliers, such as the Bf 109K-4 because it has 1 30mm cannon and 2 ~.50 cals. The ENY is higher because it is late-war but still a bit tougher to fly and do well with than say a P-51 or La 7. Then you have a plane like the Yak-3 which will do anything you tell it to, but has a very limited ammo count so the ENY is higher than it should be.

As for changes in some planes, they may not be easy to spot differences between models, but often some have different engines that allow for more Horsepower, or a different gun setup (30 cal vs 50 cal) or a different amount of ammo (Spit V is a good example of this with only 120 cannon rounds).

Lastly you have your "perk" planes, which are planes limited by earned points so they are not super abundant in the arena. These are planes like the jets (Me 262 and Ar 234), rocket (Me 163 interceptor), and various super-late war piston planes like the F4U-1C (4x 20mm on a Corsair), F4U-4, Tempest, B-29, etc). Basically if these were free they would be the only things flown in the Melee arena.

I do suggest events. FSO is on Fridays at 11PM EST and is a 1 life event. Scenarios run every few months and are generally 2-3 lives in the span of 3 hours on Saturdays. They are much more immersive than the Melee Arena in that there are historical match-ups, even numbers, and pretty historical missions.

:salute
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:27:26 AM by Spikes »
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 08:40:08 PM »
hey guys, thanks so much for the replies and welcomes! :cheers:

Sik I would love some training if you're offering. I'll post on the training board in a few.. look forward to picking up some hints and tips.  :airplane:

I have been flying with a few in the Knights, normally the same guys each evening...I started 5 days ago now and I just clocked 30 Flying hours. I'm at 33 Kills and 23 assists I think? so I am getting to grips with it but there are times like lastnight that everything seems to go wrong for me and I only get 1 or 2 kills the entire evening. (also dying alot by enemies flying into me so that doesn't help) but all I think the training will really help as I feel that the reason I'm having such bad days is maybe because I don't understand some of the finer points of the game yet? more the mechanics and technical aspects.

Flying smart will get you more wins/kills. When you push too hard in a fight you make mistakes that the other guy takes advantage of to beat you.

Collisions are another thing.There is "flying into me" and you "flying into them". The text message that pops up after a collision will tell you who flew into who. Due to internet lag there IS a difference. What you "see" on your computer is slightly different to what they "see" on their computer. The best advice I can give you is try not to collide. If you avoid the collision you will NOT take damage from the collision even if the other guy does. Any damage you take is from his rounds as he fired. Avoid the collision and you wont take damage. 

Like ENY? what is it and what impact does it have on the handlability of the craft? I find that I've had most success with the Spitfire Mk V and the Hurricane (latest model can't remember the mk currently) they have 2 different ENY values and yet I find fly similarly, on the flip side the BF109 is a brick in comparison... so alot of the technical I don't get yet and I feel will help my game understanding tremendously. Equally I black out, like ALOT by pushing my aircraft too fast, too many G's etc but I find if I try handle it slower then I'm out turned by everyone and can't get on their six or get them off mine. Not a sensitivity I'm used to in any flying sim game. I've had the blackout sensitivity in games before but not as sensitive.

The game is very well designed. Each plane flys as close to the real thing. Spits fly "light" with  good cannons so they have a low ENY and are easy to get kills in. The 109G2 doesnt turn as well, and flops around like a brick at low speeds, will compress when you dive too fast and the cannons aren't as good as the spit so the ENY is a bit higher. Each plane has it weakness, and its strengths. ENY reflects those. ENY is also used to adjust the playing field. If one team has more players than one of the others there could be an ENY charge. The bigger the imbalance between teams the less low ENY/"good planes" that team with the larger numbers can use. SO a team can have a big number advantage but they wont be able to also have an good equipment advantage as well.

so like I said, yeah so much to learn! but hopefully picking these things up will help... I might when in the rotation of maps try out the other countries and see how I get on with them but the guys I've met in the Knights seem like a cool bunch so I've enjoyed flying with them thus far.

Anyway thanks again for the tips and that... Imma head over to the training boards now and put a post up for Sik lol..

also in relation to the squads thing, I've kind of adopted the flying with people and see approach as Fugitive suggested. I'll give the events a go at somestage when I can but the last one I noticed was I think Sunday night and I'm in Ireland and it didn't start till 2am my time, so these might be out for me. But we'll see.

thank you again all.. much appreciated.

Cya'll in game
Dread :bolt:

Keep asking questions! the more you ask, the more we can help. Getting some training time with SIK1 is also a great idea. He may not admit it, but I taught him how to fly in the old days when we were in the "Mafia" together  :devil Keep a list of questions that pop into your head while your flying then come to the boards and ask away.

Hang in there, there is a lot to learn but the challenges are a blast to over come. <S>

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 10:19:20 PM »
Welcome to the game. Remember... if it was easy, it would get boring quick. Keep working and learning. Most of all have fun.  Many folks here are more than happy to help.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Dread

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 10:21:48 AM »
@The Fugitive and Shuffler, Thanks so much, that ENY explanation helps  alot.. and makes alot of sense.

I constantly have new questions but yep as is typical, I forget them as soon as I get on the boards, so I will start keeping a notepad and write them down as they occur to me.

I've asked over on training for flying lessons from SiK1 if he's able.

Appreciate the love guys, you're a good bunch.

Cheers,
Dread

Offline Trev95

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2019, 02:40:37 PM »
Hey Dread, welcome to aceshigh!  I am flying on the Knights the same as you.  I am a bomber pilot for the Freebird$ Squadron.  You are more them welcome to fly with me if you would like.   I am not a fighter pilot by any stretch of the imagination but am pretty mean in 17s.  If you need any help or have questions when you see me on don't hesitate to DM me. <S>FBTrev95
FBTrev95/Riftval
Riftvals Bombers