Author Topic: College football 2019  (Read 62178 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Re: College football 2019
« Reply #150 on: November 06, 2019, 10:59:36 AM »
Bagmen are a conspiracy theory.  Those players got that cash and those cars as birthday presents from Grandma.

I know you are being sarcastic but as one who worked the university area and stopped quite a few athletes because they were driving stupid I found just about all of them driving cars that did not belong to them or family and came back to alumni. They were driving them wearing a lot of "bling" as well and had no means of support (ie no job outside of football / basketball/ baseball).
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #151 on: November 06, 2019, 01:02:15 PM »
Yep, it is quite overt at many colleges.

I'll be interested to see how things go with the upcoming rules regarding ability to profit from name and likeness.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #152 on: November 06, 2019, 01:13:57 PM »
LSU got the shaft in the CFP poll. Hopefully they will factor SoS next year. Who knows.

I don't think it matters much if LSU is #1 or #2 currently.  A lot depends on the Alabama game.

They did factor in SoS a little in picking Clemson to be #5 and Penn State at #4.

Like you, I would prefer much more strongly factoring in SoS, maybe with an Elo-like ranking system.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #153 on: November 06, 2019, 01:52:04 PM »
Yep, it is quite overt at many colleges.

I'll be interested to see how things go with the upcoming rules regarding ability to profit from name and likeness.

Looks like any schools in kalifornia wishing to break NCAA rules will be out in the cold.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #154 on: November 06, 2019, 02:33:07 PM »
Don't sweat the rankings as they are now. They mean nothing.  Many games to be played before the 4 participants will be named.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #155 on: November 07, 2019, 12:07:43 AM »
NCAA has already announced that it will be changing its rules to allow players to profit from name and likeness.

There is no way the NCAA could refuse to do that, with California passing a law about it, other states saying they would pass similar laws, and Senators saying that they would make it happen.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #156 on: November 07, 2019, 07:27:37 AM »
What a can of worms that opens up. To follow a state like kalifornia is insane.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #157 on: November 07, 2019, 08:13:09 AM »
California is the nation's capital, really. They seem to always be leading on important issues. The 49 states and especially DC lack in comparison.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #158 on: November 07, 2019, 10:06:03 AM »
California is the nation's capital, really. They seem to always be leading on important issues. The 49 states and especially DC lack in comparison.

ROTFLMAO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #159 on: November 07, 2019, 10:39:03 AM »
NCAA has already announced that it will be changing its rules to allow players to profit from name and likeness.

There is no way the NCAA could refuse to do that, with California passing a law about it, other states saying they would pass similar laws, and Senators saying that they would make it happen.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Realistically it is a good move, the schools already profit enough, no reason why they should take 100% of the profit from stars making the programs very good.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #160 on: November 07, 2019, 11:46:18 AM »
Realistically it is a good move, the schools already profit enough, no reason why they should take 100% of the profit from stars making the programs very good.
That is what supports the school and other sports at those schools. Get ready for lesser sports to fall off the roster if this happens. Also get ready to be supporting more schools with your taxes.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #161 on: November 07, 2019, 01:41:10 PM »

Hot damn. You smoke one of those left handed cigs before saying something that ignorant? 

You prolly want the electoral college gone too?
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #162 on: November 08, 2019, 01:10:53 AM »
The new NCAA rules are not profit sharing -- i.e., schools will not be paying players some portion of school revenue.

What it does is remove a restriction so that players can get paid for use of their names and likenesses.

For example, if EA Sports restarts the NCAA Football game, and puts players' likenesses and names in, they would be able to pay players money for that.  Also, presumably, players could be paid for endorsements and autographed items.

Those payments would likely nearly all be coming from sources outside the school.

The NCAA wants to try to keep this from being a way for boosters to pay players to attend a particular school.  It will be interesting to see how they try to prevent that.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #163 on: November 08, 2019, 06:55:31 AM »
College football will become pay to win recruiting. Not a good idea IMO
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #164 on: November 08, 2019, 08:45:08 AM »
The new NCAA rules are not profit sharing -- i.e., schools will not be paying players some portion of school revenue.

What it does is remove a restriction so that players can get paid for use of their names and likenesses.

For example, if EA Sports restarts the NCAA Football game, and puts players' likenesses and names in, they would be able to pay players money for that.  Also, presumably, players could be paid for endorsements and autographed items.

Those payments would likely nearly all be coming from sources outside the school.

The NCAA wants to try to keep this from being a way for boosters to pay players to attend a particular school.  It will be interesting to see how they try to prevent that.
Stuff like the EA Sports games are understandable - my question is where does this fall with the likes of jersey sales, for example big stars like Saquon Barkley or Zion Williamson? In the NFL the majority of the money goes to the player. I hope it will be similar in NCAA?

I agree though, it is a slippery slope.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com