Author Topic: College football 2019  (Read 61074 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: College football 2019
« Reply #255 on: November 24, 2019, 11:51:36 AM »
ROTFLMAO Your local game will be.mostly local. They all are....
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #256 on: November 24, 2019, 01:28:04 PM »
Best game of the year was LSU vs BAMA. If ya disagree you just don’t know football. But again it’s just different down here, and thank God for that.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #257 on: November 24, 2019, 02:19:20 PM »
Best game of the year was LSU vs BAMA. If ya disagree you just don’t know football. But again it’s just different down here, and thank God for that.
Yep. It would be very hard to top that game from both a competitive standpoint as well as an entertainment standpoint.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #258 on: November 24, 2019, 02:55:40 PM »
Yep. It would be very hard to top that game from both a competitive standpoint as well as an entertainment standpoint.

Yes sir. And if you disagree you just simply don’t understand what Quality football looks like. It’s simple as that.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #259 on: November 25, 2019, 10:30:32 AM »
A little more to throw into the turmoil and SEC "myth".  ;)

At this time, the AP has 6 BIG Teams ranked within the top 20  (there are 25 total tanked in the Poll)
The SEC has 5.

A little more history, last two years Bowl Games by Conference. (which dispells the so-called dominance)

2018 Bowl Game wins by conferences.  SEC was 6 & 6, the BIG was 5 & 4
2017 Bowl Game wins by conferences.  SEC 4 & 5, the BIG was 7 & 1.

This should bring some fun discourse.

Also 11 out of the 14 teams in the BIG will not play a single FCS opponent.  Some teams such as Ohio State etc. will not schedule an FCS opponents.  Every Conference has its own cupcake teams.

They don't have to schedule FCS teams for an automatic win.

Ohio States out of conference games were against winning FBS teams.  Florida Atlantic FBS is 8 & 3 fighting for the lead in Conference USA
Cincinnati is 10 and 1, the only loss is to OSU 42 to 0 and is currently ranked in the top 25 of FBS Teams.  AAC Conference.
Miami of Ohio in a good MAC Conference is 7 & 4 and 6 and 1 currently in the lead in the MAC.

No Samford (which Auburn is going to play, an FCS team that my Alma Mater Youngstown State University beat 45 to 22 (YSU is an FCS team and not a very good one.)

Nope............ya won't find Western Carolina on any BIG Teams schedule either.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 11:10:49 AM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #260 on: November 25, 2019, 11:36:49 AM »
Basically why we need at least 8 teams. There are 8 teams (or more) that play above the rest and deserve to have their shot at all the glory.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #261 on: November 25, 2019, 01:48:17 PM »
Basically why we need at least 8 teams. There are 8 teams (or more) that play above the rest and deserve to have their shot at all the glory.

Agreed
- The Flying Circus -

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #262 on: November 25, 2019, 04:47:29 PM »
The playoff format needs to be expanded, in my opinion.
No more sportswriter and coaches voting.  Win your conference, and you're in, period. 
Cut the regular season down to ten games, since there were folks saying the college kids didn't need to play so many game.
Heck, here in Texas, even the high school teams that make the playoffs have the potential to play 15 games that season, if they
are good enough and keep winning once they playoffs start.
Using a ten game regular season, if the FBS conference champions hit the playoffs, it would add 4 games to the schedule for those
who kept winning and advancing.
Even keeping the current schedule would only end up with the two finalists playing 16 games, which is what the pros play in their regular
season.
Rotate on a annual basis the 4 conferences that don't get a bye week, let the national championship be decided on the field, not via some polls.

Just my two cents worth.....................

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #263 on: November 26, 2019, 12:48:29 AM »
You guys ready?

Yes!  :aok

(I am always filled with optimism.  However, Michigan has been playing well lately and getting better each week for the past several weeks.  The quarterback, Shea Patterson, has won Big 10 player of the week for the past 2 weeks in a row.  All that is needed is just one more week of that.  :aok)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #264 on: November 26, 2019, 01:40:07 AM »
Top-10 2018 games (# of TV viewers):

1.  Alabama vs. Georgia (17.5M)
2.  Michigan vs. Ohio State (13.2M)
3.  Alabama vs. LSU (11.5M)
4.  Oklahoma vs. Texas (10.2M)
5.  Ohio State vs. Penn State (9.1M)
6.  Alabama vs. Auburn (9.1M)
7.  Ohio State vs. Northwestern (8.7M)
8.  Notre Dame vs. USC (7.7M)
9.  Ohio State vs. TCU (7.2M)
10.  Michigan vs. Notre Dame (7.1M)

Out of those top-10 games, total involving:
Ohio State:  38.2M
Alabama:  38.1M
Michigan:  20.3M
Georgia:  17.5M
Notre Dame:  14.8M
LSU:  11.5M
Oklahoma:  10.2M

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #265 on: November 26, 2019, 01:55:12 AM »
ROTFLMAO Your local game will be.mostly local. They all are....

Not the biggest ones.  Once you get above about 10M people watching, it is unlikely that most of them are locals.

Take 2018's The Game as an example.  It had 13M viewers.  Total population of Michigan and Ohio is 21M.  It would take about 1/3 of the total population of both states to equal 50% of the viewers.  As a person who lived in Michigan from birth until after college, I can tell you with certainty that 1/3 of all men, women, children, and babies are not watching The Game each year.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #266 on: November 26, 2019, 01:57:00 AM »
Also, with respect to average attendance at games for 2018:

Michigan led all FBS schools again with an average attendance of 110,737 fans per home game in 2018. Four other schools also averaged more than 100,000 fans per home game: Penn State (105,485), Ohio State (101,947), Alabama (101,562) and LSU (100,819).

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #267 on: November 26, 2019, 02:41:36 PM »
The playoff format needs to be expanded, in my opinion.
No more sportswriter and coaches voting.  Win your conference, and you're in, period. 
Cut the regular season down to ten games, since there were folks saying the college kids didn't need to play so many game.
Heck, here in Texas, even the high school teams that make the playoffs have the potential to play 15 games that season, if they
are good enough and keep winning once they playoffs start.
Using a ten game regular season, if the FBS conference champions hit the playoffs, it would add 4 games to the schedule for those
who kept winning and advancing.
Even keeping the current schedule would only end up with the two finalists playing 16 games, which is what the pros play in their regular
season.
Rotate on a annual basis the 4 conferences that don't get a bye week, let the national championship be decided on the field, not via some polls.

Just my two cents worth.....................

Why not a playoff system as all the pro sports?
I mean after all, now the college players can earn money just for their faces
and whatever
How long before colleges will start loosing players at the soph and frosh levels?
As a matter of fact, how long before High Schoolers get the same treatment?
Yes, Lebron took advantage of HS situation but think about it... Lebron is not the smartest
pea in the pod  :D

"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #268 on: November 26, 2019, 02:55:52 PM »
Why not a playoff system as all the pro sports?
I mean after all, now the college players can earn money just for their faces
and whatever
How long before colleges will start loosing players at the soph and frosh levels?
As a matter of fact, how long before High Schoolers get the same treatment?
Yes, Lebron took advantage of HS situation but think about it... Lebron is not the smartest
pea in the pod  :D

At least NCAA Football has a 3 year removed from high school requirement, so junior year of college or redshirt sophomore. Not like basketball where for some players going to college is just a formality and to dazzle for a year.

FlyKommando.com

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #269 on: November 27, 2019, 12:30:29 PM »
At least NCAA Football has a 3 year removed from high school requirement, so junior year of college or redshirt sophomore. Not like basketball where for some players going to college is just a formality and to dazzle for a year.

Just as with NCAA BEFORE allowing the players to cash in... I give it a few years and hi-schers will cash in as well and then just
skip college/university all together

I mean we have to ask ourselves... what is a college/university education worth?
 :D
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll