Author Topic: College football 2019  (Read 62265 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: College football 2019
« Reply #495 on: August 13, 2020, 09:19:47 PM »
Not so much.

Lawsuit risk of cancelling football is smaller than lawsuit risk of SARS-2.  It isn't zero, however, which is true, and is all I said as a minor part of my main point.

My main point is that cancelling football is probably a financial hit, not a financial benefit -- even with lawsuit risk factored in.

If so, then cancelling football wasn't for financial gain.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #496 on: August 13, 2020, 10:02:25 PM »
Oh yeah, any semi-large to large football school will take a hit from no football.

I have to imagine a major concern was the team's players going to class with everyone else and spreading it that way.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #497 on: August 13, 2020, 10:36:35 PM »
It is not really known if it causes other issues either.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #498 on: August 13, 2020, 10:55:57 PM »
I think shutting down football and most sports was the right choice. Not so sure that all sports need to be shut down, some seem like they could be done safely still.  But contact sports like football and wrestling are not among those.

I like the plan to try to play in the spring, after we find out from the NFL what happens when large men crash in to and spit all over each other.  That data will inform if a spring season can go forwards, as the vaccine likely will only be in production at that time, if they even determine there's a safe vaccine by then. 

Remember too its not just the players, you have old coaches and referees that can't do their jobs remotely and have a much higher chance of suffering severe covid consequences.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #499 on: August 14, 2020, 02:54:04 AM »
There's nothing in the articles above that inspires me to want college, pro or even high school athletes to take the risk for my entertainment. You can't block, tackle, receive, intercept or recover covid to win a game. The 'right' to spread this disease to fellow players, coaches, families and fans isn't .... right. AAMOF, it's rather immoral.

They don't take any risk for you or me.  They want to play football and try for the NFL -- for themselves.  They want that so badly that they devote their lives to much toil and discomfort.  They do it because it is their goal and passion.

Players and coaches and fans who don't want to play don't have to do so.  Players generally are not living with their families, but for any that are, that can figure into their decision process -- same as it figures into your and my decision process on whether or not we go to a restaurant, to a friend's house, shopping on a busy day, etc.

Anyone who doesn't want to be exposed to SARS-2 can already stay away from crowds, wear masks, sanitize hands before entering home.  It isn't a player's job to keep me safe.  It's my job to keep me safe as I deem appropriate.

Of course, all of this is just a discussion for fun.  Alea iacta est.  And not by me or you.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #500 on: August 14, 2020, 03:33:48 AM »
The more I read about it, the more I think the decision is mostly because of the new (so still tentative) information about SARS-2 and heart problems.  Folks changing their minds because the data in them seems so dire.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #501 on: August 14, 2020, 05:53:36 AM »
Where does this 99% survival rate that keeps getting mentioned here and the other thread come from?

99% for who?
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #502 on: August 14, 2020, 07:21:31 AM »
I think shutting down football and most sports was the right choice. Not so sure that all sports need to be shut down, some seem like they could be done safely still.  But contact sports like football and wrestling are not among those.

I like the plan to try to play in the spring, after we find out from the NFL what happens when large men crash in to and spit all over each other.  That data will inform if a spring season can go forwards, as the vaccine likely will only be in production at that time, if they even determine there's a safe vaccine by then. 

Remember too its not just the players, you have old coaches and referees that can't do their jobs remotely and have a much higher chance of suffering severe covid consequences.

In college, many other sports are supported by money from football. No football, no other sports.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #503 on: August 14, 2020, 08:24:27 AM »
Once they sign disclaimers let them bang heads all they want.

They are young and healthy and know the risks by now.

Crazy to stop the world for something that is not much more an a flu for 98% who get it.

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #504 on: August 14, 2020, 08:38:47 AM »
Once they sign disclaimers let them bang heads all they want.

‘not much more an a flu for 98% who get it.’

Eagler

Again where are these numbers substantiated?
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #505 on: August 14, 2020, 11:12:28 AM »

:aok

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #506 on: August 14, 2020, 11:22:23 AM »
The irony is that players are more likely to die from football accidents than from Covid.

It's a shame because UF was gonna take the championship this year. You guys all lucked out you just didn't know it yet.  ;)
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #507 on: August 14, 2020, 11:32:27 AM »
If so, then cancelling football wasn't for financial gain.

I will never understand how you turned my mentioning colleges and universities considering the possibility of going forth with their 2020 schedule because the money was more important than lives into ^.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #508 on: August 14, 2020, 11:33:39 AM »
The more I read about it, the more I think the decision is mostly because of the new (so still tentative) information about SARS-2 and heart problems.  Folks changing their minds because the data in them seems so dire.

That's called a conservative decision (aka better safe than sorry).

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #509 on: August 14, 2020, 11:38:54 AM »
Where does this 99% survival rate that keeps getting mentioned here and the other thread come from?

99% for who?

IFR (infection fatality rate -- not CFR, or case fatality rate, which is significantly different) is the probability that, if a person is infected with SARS-2, he dies.  IFR is the number of deaths divided by number of people who have gotten infected.

This is hard to determine as many people who get SARS-2 do not go to a hospital or get tested in any way.  So, places have to estimate how many people get SARS-2.

The CDC's latest estimate ( https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html , table 1) is that the IFR is 0.65%.  CEBM estimates IFR is 0.28% and thinks that's will turn out to be an overestimate (see https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/global-covid-19-case-fatality-rates/ ).

So, CDC's estimate is that 99.35% of people who get SARS-2 will survive.