Author Topic: College football 2019  (Read 61056 times)

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
Re: College football 2019
« Reply #555 on: August 22, 2020, 08:32:40 PM »
The Greatest Generation made sacrifices for many years, so why can't their decedents?

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #556 on: August 22, 2020, 09:20:51 PM »
The real question is, why take the risk? So that universities which are both state and privately funded don't lose money? If it truly is for the players and their professional aspirations, NFL teams should simply look at the information they have from the previous year played and extensive combines, workouts, etc. in a safe environment.

The stats for that age group of football players is very low for covid deaths. They have a far bigger chance of hurting themselves worse on the field. Too me its not a risk considering the stats. Its more risky to watch the side effects of not playing destroy peoples livelyhood. Thousands of people effected financially where as maybe a couple of players test positive and probably don't even have symptoms. 
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #557 on: August 22, 2020, 09:29:13 PM »
We know for a fact that people will be suffering financially and might lose their home. We are only perceiving that players might get sick and maybe die. The truth is that far more people will be put out on the street relative to maybe one or 2 players being severely ill.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 09:30:52 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #558 on: August 22, 2020, 10:18:05 PM »
jobs created by sports are mostly part-time minimum wage. i kind of doubt that with only 8 or 10 games a year, employees make enough money to buy a house.

1 or 2 athletes getting sick or perhaps die,  doesn't sound too bad.  however how many concession stand employees or general public is acceptable to you? 10,20?

this whole thing started with 1 person.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #559 on: August 22, 2020, 10:36:56 PM »
The idea is to quell the virus. To do that, we need less cases. If college aged kids don't die, great. But, it is still very contagious. We will never get to normal if we have this mentality of "you can't die from it." Playing college football games and welcoming fans will not help to stop the spread of the virus. Because of that simple fact, it should not happen. It is awesome that the facts claim the kids will not die, but they may still catch it and pass it. If that happens, this shut down, half capacity, no bars after 11, Cuomo chips, etc. world continues. No matter how you feel about it, I know that none of us enjoy the policies and protocols we have to deal with regarding the virus. To rid ourselves of these things, we have to take it seriously and not continue leaning on "we won't die from it" and "it's just like a cold." That mentality keeps COVID-19 in our country because people do not take it seriously, catch it, then spread it. We could follow European countries that caught it, dealt with it, and are now back to normal-ish or we could be in this virus hell for another year or more.

This will be the end of me posting about the virus.

:cheers:
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #560 on: August 23, 2020, 01:45:38 AM »
Football players and coaches and referees are not going to budge the nation's infection rate.  There are far too few compared to people going to restaurants, beaches, bars, parties, supermarkets, Home Depots, hotels, airports, etc.

Players who so far have gotten SARS-2 got it almost entirely from life outside of football.  Football programs like Michigan were keeping players greatly more isolated than they are in regular life and testing them way more than normal population is tested.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #561 on: August 23, 2020, 05:54:41 AM »
The idea is to quell the virus. To do that, we need less cases. If college aged kids don't die, great. But, it is still very contagious. We will never get to normal if we have this mentality of "you can't die from it." Playing college football games and welcoming fans will not help to stop the spread of the virus. Because of that simple fact, it should not happen. It is awesome that the facts claim the kids will not die, but they may still catch it and pass it. If that happens, this shut down, half capacity, no bars after 11, Cuomo chips, etc. world continues. No matter how you feel about it, I know that none of us enjoy the policies and protocols we have to deal with regarding the virus. To rid ourselves of these things, we have to take it seriously and not continue leaning on "we won't die from it" and "it's just like a cold." That mentality keeps COVID-19 in our country because people do not take it seriously, catch it, then spread it. We could follow European countries that caught it, dealt with it, and are now back to normal-ish or we could be in this virus hell for another year or more.

This is not going away. It may change some, but i doubt it ever goes away.

Folks can hole up in their home for as long as they want. The world can't stop and wait for them.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #562 on: August 23, 2020, 08:17:42 AM »
Football players and coaches and referees are not going to budge the nation's infection rate.  There are far too few compared to people going to restaurants, beaches, bars, parties, supermarkets, Home Depots, hotels, airports, etc.

Players who so far have gotten SARS-2 got it almost entirely from life outside of football.  Football programs like Michigan were keeping players greatly more isolated than they are in regular life and testing them way more than normal population is tested.

Think bigger picture, Brooke. Not just the 150 people involved in one game, but all the travelling, eating, potential sightseeing, entertainment, eventual parties (college students after all), etc. Playing a football season does not help slow the spread; which should be the goal of all citizens and the government.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #563 on: August 23, 2020, 10:16:35 AM »

but you will never achieve elimination.  the policy to do that has never been close to being drafted.  slowing the spread, only does that.  if you hole up for twenty years, the only thing you get is skinnier.  but when you come out, the virus is waiting.  you have to face the music some day, thats life. thats evolution.  your perspective lacks a end and is not the only way.

the promise of, if you do as i say, this will end quicker.  Is just a lie.  more like, if you do as i say, it will last longer!

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #564 on: August 23, 2020, 10:55:48 AM »
but you will never achieve elimination.  the policy to do that has never been close to being drafted.  slowing the spread, only does that.  if you hole up for twenty years, the only thing you get is skinnier.  but when you come out, the virus is waiting.  you have to face the music some day, thats life. thats evolution.  your perspective lacks a end and is not the only way.

the promise of, if you do as i say, this will end quicker.  Is just a lie.  more like, if you do as i say, it will last longer!

True. Once we find a vaccine, it is all good. Until then, slow the spread.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #565 on: August 23, 2020, 05:49:38 PM »
True. Once we find a vaccine, it is all good. Until then, slow the spread.

Hehe. Yep.

I dont think we will get a vaccine like most think.  More likely something that helps.

No way am I letting my guard down.  Winter is coming...

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #566 on: August 23, 2020, 07:07:37 PM »
How many infections of the virus are enough?  Do we have a satisfying answer?  Taking precautions  such as wearing a mask and social distancing are common sense.

How many deaths are enough?  I mean since we're going through stats here let's hear some!  Tell me.............we're already over 200K deaths in our country.  We're not Generals or Admirals who plan on an acceptable death rate in regards to winning the battle and then the war.  We are not in a shooting war here and we can't see the enemy.  We know very little about the virus.  Even animals have been infected with the virus.  And the infected numbers rise on a daily basis.  Infections are not going down but up.  The starting QB from Georgia State was infected with the virus and now he has a heart problem.   Who's to say what is acceptable?  Is their one of such wisdom and standing that he/she can give us a suitable number?  Answer........no one at this time.  No one knows the long term effect of this disease.

Oklahoma Football had what 9 cases of the virus?  Now they have to trace back and find out who they got it from.  And also who they have may infected.  More and more High Schools are jumping off the let's play bandwagon.  Alabama is also having difficulties. 

Use common sense.  You're not only protecting yourself and your family.  You're also protecting others you may not know.  Ya...........this sucks.  It's time for a little wisdom and less chest beating.

We're generating stats on a disease we know very little about.  That is folly.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #567 on: August 23, 2020, 07:52:46 PM »
Think bigger picture, Brooke. Not just the 150 people involved in one game, but all the travelling, eating, potential sightseeing, entertainment, eventual parties (college students after all), etc. Playing a football season does not help slow the spread; which should be the goal of all citizens and the government.

Football players are minuscule contributors compared to the number of people doing all of those things who aren't football players.  College football players are 1/10,000th of the population.  They'd have to be 1000 times more likely to catch and spread SARS-2 than average people in order to budge any averages.

Also players in active football programs might get and spread SARS-2 less than if they aren't in football programs.  When they are in the football program, they are tested frequently, isolated when sick, more isolated from non-football population at all times, and subject to much pressure to be careful about SARS-2 infection.  When they aren't in the football program, they are back to being regular college students -- and regular college students are not that careful.

In addition, yes, folks need to look at the whole picture.  Decisions can't be made looking at one number:  likelihood of spreading SARS-2.  Pursuing lower SARS-2 infections has drawbacks in other areas that need to be considered.

It's the same with automobile deaths.  You can't look at only that, or you conclude that it is best to outlaw all cars, trucks, and driving.  Doing that would reduce automobile deaths, but other problems (including some other forms of death) would rise, making it a bad choice.

It might be better for players to be in football.  They might be safer from SARS-2.  Also, not playing football might have very bad and severe consequences to chosen career path for some of them.  Or maybe not.  But no one -- not you or me or any government official or any scientist -- knows which is best.

People should be able to decide for themselves in such cases.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #568 on: August 23, 2020, 09:11:23 PM »
VMA awards in new york are not having to go by the demanded quarantine. Strange how this virus on affects law abiding people.... don't you think.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #569 on: August 24, 2020, 04:38:09 AM »
Football players are minuscule contributors compared to the number of people doing all of those things who aren't football players.  College football players are 1/10,000th of the population.  They'd have to be 1000 times more likely to catch and spread SARS-2 than average people in order to budge any averages.

Also players in active football programs might get and spread SARS-2 less than if they aren't in football programs.  When they are in the football program, they are tested frequently, isolated when sick, more isolated from non-football population at all times, and subject to much pressure to be careful about SARS-2 infection.  When they aren't in the football program, they are back to being regular college students -- and regular college students are not that careful.

In addition, yes, folks need to look at the whole picture.  Decisions can't be made looking at one number:  likelihood of spreading SARS-2.  Pursuing lower SARS-2 infections has drawbacks in other areas that need to be considered.

It's the same with automobile deaths.  You can't look at only that, or you conclude that it is best to outlaw all cars, trucks, and driving.  Doing that would reduce automobile deaths, but other problems (including some other forms of death) would rise, making it a bad choice.

It might be better for players to be in football.  They might be safer from SARS-2.  Also, not playing football might have very bad and severe consequences to chosen career path for some of them.  Or maybe not.  But no one -- not you or me or any government official or any scientist -- knows which is best.

People should be able to decide for themselves in such cases.

I agree with letting people decide.

The rest, well, statistics are not FDA approved. No percent will help when a doctor finds a problem.   Some, many have health issues this 10x flu mutant will expose.  Nobody knows.  Most of our underlying issues do not get discovered until mid life.  You do not want covid to find these issues for you.  The kid would have lived better without the covid.