Author Topic: College football 2019  (Read 62594 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: College football 2019
« Reply #645 on: September 05, 2020, 06:57:51 PM »
Ummm we.played soccer as kids at the YMCA.

me too, lots if fun. heck even disco to ymca.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #646 on: September 06, 2020, 05:52:59 AM »
me too, lots if fun. heck even disco to ymca.

semp

Ummm NO.  ROTFLMAO
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #647 on: September 06, 2020, 11:47:27 AM »

The 1918 Pandemic Was Deadlier, but College Football Continued. Here’s Why.
World War I was first used as a reason to halt the season—then to continue it

By Rachel Bachman (for the Wall Street Journal)
Updated Sept. 2, 2020 8:07 am ET

On Sept. 28, 1918, Riley Shue played in his first college football game. Eleven days later, the Miami (Ohio) guard died of the flu.

A starter at Texas also died of influenza that fall. So did a player at West Virginia, and Ohio State’s team captain from the year before. That’s just a few we know about. It isn’t clear how many college football players died of the flu in fall 1918.

The 1918-19 flu scourge was more lethal than the current coronavirus pandemic, killing 675,000 in the U.S., and was especially fatal in 20- to 40-year-olds. Covid-19 infections have killed more than 180,000 this year, and the U.S. has more than three times the population it did a century ago.

Why would universities in 1918 forge ahead with football while a virus decimated the ranks of young, healthy men? The answer is something arguably even bigger than a global pandemic: a global war.

The lead-up to that 1918 college football season was similarly chaotic to this year’s, which starts in earnest on Thursday with about half of the nation’s major college teams opting out. But the overlay of World War I made 1918 unique, and gave grim weight to the metaphor of football as a battle.

The U.S. War Department warned in September 1918 that college football could be canceled because it would distract from military training. That left many young men “stuck on a military base with not a lot to do,” said Jeremy Swick, historian and curator at the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta.

A couple of weeks later, the government pivoted like an All-American receiver. The game could help build the aggressiveness to fight and the grit to endure grinding days in the trenches of France, it reasoned. “It would be difficult to overestimate the value of football experience as a part of a soldier’s training,” President Woodrow Wilson later wrote.

It isn’t clear what spurred the reversal. But military leadership at the time included giants like former Yale coach Walter Camp, who was advising the Navy on athletic activities. Wilson himself had coached football while teaching at Wesleyan University.

Military boot camps across the country had formed teams after the U.S. entered the war in April 1917, many made up of former college stars. In 1918, the mighty team at the Naval Station Great Lakes in North Chicago boasted three players later enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame: George Halas, Jimmy Conzelman and John “Paddy” Driscoll.

On college campuses, football teams were depleted of students who’d left for the war, so many called upon freshmen to play. Teams also got help from the ranks of the Student Army Training Corps, on-campus boot camps set up nationwide. Some colleges played games against military teams.

The 1918 flu first surfaced in the U.S. among military personnel in spring 1918, but the resurgence caught campuses by surprise. Press censorship and wartime patriotism meant that media were inclined to “not fully report the ravages of the flu as the deadly second wave took off in summer and fall 1918, which was a critical final stage of the war,” said Christopher McKnight Nichols, director of the Center for the Humanities at Oregon State.

To prioritize training, the War Department limited football practice time and restricted travel from university campuses in October to Saturday afternoons. Overnight road trips were out.

Some teams, like Alabama and LSU, were so depleted by the war effort that they’d already canceled their seasons. Others scrambled to remake their schedules, some booking games days or hours before kickoff.

Meanwhile the virus spread, prompting regional health authorities to ban fans from games or prohibit large gatherings. At one point all games scheduled in Illinois and Iowa were called off.

By the third week in October Michigan’s team, packed with Army training corps members, was playing with masks. “Until further orders they will practice with the piece of gauze fastened about their mouths,” read a story in the Daily Pennsylvanian.

The war and the flu became intertwined. At the University of Pittsburgh, where every draft-eligible male had been conscripted into the Army training corps, a state order in early fall put the campus under quarantine, according to a 2003 story in Pitt Med magazine. “Students who were presumably healthy in September were now coughing, wheezing, doubling over in pain, shivering with fever, dropping where they stood—and dying,” the story said.

At one point, 673 members of Pitt’s Army training corps contingent were hospitalized. Of those whose cases developed into pneumonia, 99 died, according to the story.

Yet on Nov. 9 the highly touted Panthers, led by coach Pop Warner, managed to start their season. They outscored their opponents 140-16 over five games, losing only to a Cleveland Naval Reserve team led by a rugged former Auburn standout named Moon Ducote. Pitt and 5-0 Michigan both claim national titles for that season, decades before a championship game existed.

Still, death hung over 1918. U.S. average life expectancy plummeted 12 years from the year before, mostly due to the flu. A December story in the Pittsburgh Press listed dozens of notable athletes who’d died that year: A former Dartmouth quarterback killed in a German raid. The 1917 Ohio State captain, Harold Courtney, dead of pneumonia—the cause often given for people who contracted the flu.

The 1918 and 2020 college football seasons carry a few striking parallels.

The virus has wreaked havoc on team schedules. Without a vaccine, masks and social distancing remain two of the primary weapons to slow the pandemic. Today, billions of dollars in TV and ticket revenue are at stake in whether a season is played. Yet even in 1918, financial forces prodded college football: A late October 1918 story in the Pittsburgh Press expressed hope that West Virginia could mount a few games to raise money toward a $170 million fund for the Red Cross and other war charities.

The Mountaineers couldn’t. The flu’s spread forced all students off campus until Nov. 5. While away, West Virginia tackle Joseph Fuccy became ill and died.

But it wasn’t the flu that finally ended the team’s season. It was time constraints placed on Army training corps players, according to a March 2020 story by WVU director of athletic content John Antonik.

West Virginia’s season was canceled Nov. 9. Two days later the armistice was signed to end the war.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #648 on: September 10, 2020, 01:35:46 PM »
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #649 on: September 10, 2020, 03:14:28 PM »
That’s hilarious
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #650 on: September 10, 2020, 05:10:50 PM »
Meanwhile at Ole' Miss...

https://twitter.com/GsonJW/status/1304113475459919879

That is pretty funny, however, probably not the same guy. His shirt and beard and background are different.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #651 on: September 16, 2020, 09:16:48 AM »
Welcome back big ten brethren. Your conference tried to play politics and got laughed at. Let’s play some football! 

The Few

-Spek

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #652 on: September 16, 2020, 01:48:20 PM »
Yay!  :aok

I'm greatly looking forward to the season.  It's a big one for Michigan, as there is a lot to see.  I'm especially interested in how offensive coordinator Gattis's offense does in its 2nd year, who is the new starting quarterback, and how he does.

And every year gives the Wolverines a chance at Ohio State.  :aok  No matter what, every year The Game is the one I look forward to the most.

This year could be the year!  I hear that Ohio State is full of 5 stars only into 3rd string.  Pretty thin.  ;)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #653 on: September 16, 2020, 01:53:40 PM »
A few of the starters of the Buckeyes have opted out to prepare for the upcoming draft.  I don't blame them.  Six game schedule only.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #654 on: September 16, 2020, 02:33:25 PM »
It's 8 games for Big 10 plus a 9th game for Big 10 championship.

Maybe Ohio State could make it.  Long shot, but they have a chance.  :D

Ohio State is raring to go!  Might miss a few players, but plenty eager for the chance to take their places.

Same for the Wolverines.  :aok

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #655 on: September 16, 2020, 02:40:05 PM »
SEC and Big 12 (including conference championship game) will have 11 games.

So 9 games for Big 10 champ is still decent.  (Wish it were also 11, of course.)

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #656 on: September 16, 2020, 03:18:32 PM »
Yeah... I'm not gunna hold my breath on this season even half happening:

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1306225955657129984
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #657 on: September 16, 2020, 03:20:33 PM »
Also, I'm sure things are just fine in the SEC where they would never look the other way on mass infections:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29892180/lsu-coach-ed-orgeron-most-team-contracted-coronavirus
Boildown

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #658 on: September 16, 2020, 03:36:25 PM »
I think it will go forward OK.

I don't think it will lead to spread of SARS-2 infection more than, say, flu in the past; and I think less than that because folks are using lots of precautions these days that have were used in the past for flu.

Take vitamin D3 daily supplement.

Take reasonable precautions where practical.

I think it will be OK and not worse than would happen anyway if there were no football.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #659 on: September 16, 2020, 07:49:26 PM »
Also, I'm sure things are just fine in the SEC where they would never look the other way on mass infections:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29892180/lsu-coach-ed-orgeron-most-team-contracted-coronavirus

If 100 get it 100 recover just fine like anything else In life what’s the deal?  We shut a country down for less than .1% death rate. Let’s play ball.

The Few

-Spek