Author Topic: College football 2019  (Read 62527 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: College football 2019
« Reply #690 on: September 18, 2020, 02:42:14 PM »
well in that case logic dictates based on you prefer A, that your opinion is based on the fact that you want to watch football and all other choices are irrelevant.

semp

Football is a dangerous sport than can kill or injure a player for the rest of their lives. That never stopped them from playing.

The flu, or any other virus that has effected America, did not stop a season from happening even during the H1N1 outbreak.

We haven't even reached a 1% death rate for covid in America. The virus is not near as deadly as it was.

Football teams will take all of the precautions to prevent anyone from getting it.

If they wear a mask in public they should not get it (based on current logic, not necessarily facts or true science.)

College players only have a small time period in their lives to play college football. You dont get those years back to come and try again.

Not having a season could put thousands of families in major debt, lose their house, and cause economic damage that effects their health. Why do you want that?

Again, the economic risk to make people suffer is far greater than the health risk of covid. Thats just a fact.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #691 on: September 18, 2020, 02:51:07 PM »
well in that case logic dictates based on you prefer A, that your opinion is based on the fact that you want to watch football and all other choices are irrelevant.

semp

That post gives no reasons for my preference.  It is not logic to speculate on what that unstated reason might be.

But I'll tell you here.  :aok

I actually prefer A in all cases -- including where I am not a fan, don't follow the sport, and don't care at all about that sport -- such as NBA, NFL, and MLB, to name just a few.

The main reason for me is that I think it's typically best for individuals to have the freedom to choose.

Although I am a fan of college football, I would be opposed to players being forced to play games, for example.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #692 on: September 18, 2020, 04:07:03 PM »
well Brooke my logic was based on your facts on that single post. didn't say it was good or bad.

but seriously, what bothers me is the attitude of "it ain't too bad". less that 1% death rate, dead only know one thing, it's better to be alive.

perhaps I'm biased based on the fact that i am in the category of "it ain't too bad". let me tell you, it is bad, my nephew will also agree it is bad.  he's 25 with 60% lung capacity.  ask anybody where the virus affected them, then tell them, glad you took one for the team.

I don't have the virus but i got hurt at work.  wasn't to bad only 1 or 2 a year get hurt bad enough to be given a hand shake and a goodbye.

I'm not bitter, I'm not mad, worked long enough to know it happens. do i want the company shut down? no, that would be selfish of me. lots of people work there. but i wish some people's attitude of it ain't too bad, would understand that for some it is too bad.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #693 on: September 18, 2020, 04:31:58 PM »
I don't want any harm to anyone, of course.

I also understand that getting SARS-2 goes badly for some people.

I just feel it's better in many cases to let people decide their own courses, not to have it decided for them by others.

Every decision in life has its risks and rewards to weigh.  In this case, it is trading off these various factors:  does playing football games significantly increase odds of getting SARS-2 (compared to alternatives), risk to player of having lingering health issues from SARS-2 (as opposed to no problem at all), risk to a player's career and life path for him missing a season of football (a vital thing to some), and so on.

In general, the best person to decide what balance works best for himself is himself -- not someone else.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #694 on: September 18, 2020, 04:33:11 PM »
Any one of them can die driving to practice.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #695 on: September 18, 2020, 04:34:21 PM »
Any one of them can die driving to practice.

Which is another beside the point comment.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #696 on: September 18, 2020, 04:38:05 PM »
Which is another beside the point comment.

Any one of them could fall of a balcony taking a selfie.

I'm on a roll here.....
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #697 on: September 18, 2020, 04:41:57 PM »

I'm on a troll here.....

Yes, Shuf, anybody, football player or not, can have a defunct satellite land on them or fall into the sewer and die .... on top of there being a pandemic featuring a deadly virus. Counting the various ways we can all die beats taking measures to reduce infections.  :old:

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #698 on: September 18, 2020, 04:44:48 PM »
Selfies and, "The Snickers hole.  It's workin'!"

https://youtu.be/dKGgKGS2VCQ?t=65

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #699 on: September 18, 2020, 05:43:04 PM »
Generalized attack with political overtones.

No attack here. It’s facts. If you’re afraid. Stay inside. I’m not so I’ll continue to run my businesses so my family can eat. I’m not gonna depend on handouts to survive.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #700 on: September 18, 2020, 05:56:43 PM »

I'm on a roll here.....

my wife says i take too many selfies, always tell her because I'm too handsome, some of us are born with this affliction.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #701 on: September 18, 2020, 05:59:58 PM »
No attack here. It’s facts. If you’re afraid. Stay inside. I’m not so I’ll continue to run my businesses so my family can eat. I’m not gonna depend on handouts to survive.

You categorized - 'coronabros'. You projected - 'You can’t speak with facts, logic, and reason' (to them - inferring that group's inability to utilize facts, logic and reason). That can only exist in an 'us versus them' environment. Those are the rawest elements of playing politics and it was indeed an attack. And you ended with adopting proud victim status that nobody in this thread was pushing you into. I wish you the best no matter how you proceed but I'm not going to play the name-calling, pointing and posturing game with you.  :old:

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #702 on: September 18, 2020, 06:15:45 PM »
because I'm too handsome, some of us are born with this affliction.

semp

I can vouch for this.  I've flown with Semp in scenarios and have witnessed his great handsomeness.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #703 on: September 18, 2020, 06:21:10 PM »
I can vouch for this.  I've flown with Semp in scenarios and have witnessed his great handsomeness.

Oh you two-timer!  :confused:

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #704 on: September 18, 2020, 06:54:33 PM »
Yes, Shuf, anybody, football player or not, can have a defunct satellite land on them or fall into the sewer and die .... on top of there being a pandemic featuring a deadly virus. Counting the various ways we can all die beats taking measures to reduce infections.  :old:

There is always a deadly virus out there. More than one in fact..... always.
80th FS "Headhunters"