Author Topic: College football 2019  (Read 62104 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: College football 2019
« Reply #795 on: October 15, 2020, 02:50:13 AM »
dead people only know one thing, it's better to be alive.

statistics are only of good use of you are the one alive. if you are dead, they're useless.

semp
full.

Inaccurate statistics are useless for everyone.....
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #796 on: October 15, 2020, 07:13:28 AM »
Love football. Hate covid. Go vols
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #797 on: October 15, 2020, 12:27:21 PM »
full.

Inaccurate statistics are useless for everyone.....

but who's statistics do you believe. also for example death rates no matter from whom don't tell the full picture.  not everybody fully recovers.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #798 on: October 15, 2020, 12:36:24 PM »
but who's statistics do you believe. also for example death rates no matter from whom don't tell the full picture.  not everybody fully recovers.

Not to mention (but I will) there is no immunity when people who were infected, show severe symptoms and manage to 'recover' are reinfected by a different strain and their already compromised system goes through it all again. But ... yay team! Football (enthusiasm from the living room couch) is fun and somewhat safe.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #799 on: October 15, 2020, 01:22:46 PM »
Not to mention (but I will) there is no immunity when people who were infected, show severe symptoms and manage to 'recover' are reinfected by a different strain and their already compromised system goes through it all again. But ... yay team! Football (enthusiasm from the living room couch) is fun and somewhat safe.

You arent considering the economic impact of restaurants and local towns that benefit from these games. The tourism that benefits the towns. All of the people involved in putting the games together. The sponsors,  the commercials, its literally probably more people than all of the covid deaths world wide that put these games together. 

I think this running death and cases count is appalling. It causes great psychological stress on the world. They want this virus seeded in your minds.

When I see one team all get 19 cases immediately after the coach called to pack the stadium, it doesn't sit right with me.

I think the risk of getting injured is higher than getting covid.

If the players and coaches were really scared, they would not play. I would not go to work if I was scared. What I see infront of my own eyes doesn't scare me. It doesn't scare them either.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #800 on: October 15, 2020, 01:26:32 PM »
You arent considering the economic impact of restaurants and local towns that benefit from these games.

Don't be presumptuous. The smart play is to do things in the correct order. First, deal with the virus like other nations have because killing off customers isn't good for business.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #801 on: October 15, 2020, 02:56:38 PM »
The shutdown of the economy killed 3 local restaurants so far in my area. Thankfully the governor opened the state back up a month or so ago and we are thriving again. You love to see it.

Arlo and gang.. it would be nice if you made your own covid thread and let us have football inside here please. It’s pretty annoying to say the least.

Back to football. Georgia vs Alabama who ya got???
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #802 on: October 15, 2020, 03:24:10 PM »
Arlo and gang.. it would be nice if you made your own covid thread and let us have football inside here please. It’s pretty annoying to say the least.

Don't talk about Covid in the football thread, then. Your problem is solved.  :aok

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #803 on: October 15, 2020, 03:42:13 PM »

Humans are not born with the ability to read and write or to do algebra.  If they want to do those things, they have to learn them.  Statistics and critical thinking are not skills that humans are born with either.  So, if they don't make sure to learn it and get training in it, they don't have it.

The difference between literacy and critical thinking, though, is that people who aren't literate know it.

In this case, you aren't considering one of the most-important things for making decisions:  how likely is an outcome.  According to data (and there is a lot of it), reinfection is so uncommon currently that, to several significant digits, the probability is zero.  Here, you are focusing on something that has been statistically irrelevant while ignoring things that are common and of large impact.

Your statement is equivalent to:  "Not to mention (but I will) there is no immunity to getting hit by lightning when going outside.  But . . . yay going outside!  Going outside (enthusiasm from watching through the kitchen window) is fun and somewhat safe."

Not to mention that you are assuming college football players will get more Covid if they play football games than if they don't.  I don't think that's a solid assumption.  It could be that if they were living their lives as normal college students instead of playing football games, they'd be more likely to get Covid.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #804 on: October 15, 2020, 03:46:43 PM »
Arrogance and an insulting manner does not count toward freeing the thread of Covid talk.  :aok

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #805 on: October 15, 2020, 03:54:24 PM »
Anyway --

My beloved Michigan Wolverines are a week away from their 1st game:  a night away game at Minnesota.

Michigan has a new quarterback, a new offensive line, a bunch of replacements on defense, and is still working to figure out who will be the 2nd cornerback.

Minnesota went 11-2 last year, beat Auburn in the Outback bowl, ended the year ranked at #10, and is a very good team.  They return with an excellent quarterback and one of the top receivers in the nation.

So, it is a tough first game.  I am greatly looking forward to it!  :aok

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #806 on: October 15, 2020, 04:38:12 PM »
Arrogance and an insulting manner does not count toward freeing the thread of Covid talk.  :aok

You are an intelligent guy, Arlo.  You don't know the topic of reasoning based on probability and statistics.  That doesn't make you bad or less intelligent.  I lack knowledge in lots of areas -- some of them areas where you know a lot and I don't.

For example, I don't know about the battles of the American Revolution.  Let's say you know that stuff thoroughly, and I was debating with you.  I say, "Well, in that battle, it's obvious based on common sense that Washington was thinking X, and that's why his decision was bad."  You say, "I don't know why you think imaging events based on nothing is as good as reading a bunch of books on the exact topic -- but in fact, Washington wrote down what he was thinking, which was Y, not X.  And the outcome of that decision turned out to be good not bad."

Should I be insulted?

Maybe it was to my benefit for you to point that out.

Lots of stuff in the world is better off with critical reasoning based on probability and statistics.  The vast majority of people don't know anything about that.  (Doesn't make them stupid -- means they didn't learn it.)  Best is that they know critical reasoning.  Next best is that they don't know it but understand that they don't know it.  Worst is that they don't know it but think that they do know it -- as this leads to the worst decisions and to being manipulated by agendas and BS.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #807 on: October 15, 2020, 04:51:21 PM »
You don't know the topic of reasoning based on probability and statistics.

That's a reckless presumption on your part. I worked as a quality control inspector in the injection molding business. It was very statistically and probability based. But project away and drag the football thread on down.  :)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #808 on: October 15, 2020, 07:37:33 PM »
That's a reckless presumption on your part. I worked as a quality control inspector in the injection molding business. It was very statistically and probability based. But project away and drag the football thread on down.  :)

Knowing basic probability and statistics, how to read a chart, how to follow procedures, etc. isn't critical reasoning.  If a person misses the most-basic features of critical reasoning, such as not considering how likely a thing is, focusing on one statistically irrelevant part of an issue while excluding other far-more-significant factors, etc., he doesn't know critical reasoning.

It's like two guys talking about WWII air combat.  The first guy says an Il-2 would be able to out dogfight a Yak-3.  The second guy says, "I can see right off the bat that you don't have expertise in aeronautical engineering."  The first guy says, "I sure do!  I have a private pilot's license.  The Il-2 has bigger wings, and bigger wings mean more lift, and more lift means better turning."

I like you, Arlo.  I like discussing with you.  Reasoning like a scientist or economist isn't your thing.  That's not an insult, just how it is.  Like me not knowing as much history as you.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #809 on: October 15, 2020, 08:02:31 PM »
... isn't critical reasoning.

And presuming I lack critical reasoning skills but you excel at such is insulting and arrogant, Brooke. I've had a lifetime of experiences, good and bad, that were a classroom in themself in critical thought and reasoning. From soloing at the age of eighteen to active duty military service in the U.S. Navy working with avionics to blue collar jobs involving the operation of forklifts and machines of fabrication to quality control and photolithography for Texas Instruments in a wafer fab to working for Delta Air Lines (three separate words - Delta is picky about that) to being a parent and stepparent to being a son of a quadriplegic mother and being exposed to her activism to being a husband married to an abusive spouse to being a husband blessed with his current marriage to a stroke survivor that has worked to mitigate that condition as best I can. Now I am a student of history and you want to believe that's the only thing I have any qualification or perspective in. I'm a 58 year old practitioner of critical thought and have been for most of my life. Just because you disagree with my point of view or my opinion is no reason to pretend you have a superior vantagepoint regarding such. It's belittling.

Please give this some *critical* thought before you throw such in my face again. Thank you in advance (for surely you can understand my critique as we are friends online and in game). :)