Author Topic: Training  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Dread

• Zinc Member
Training
« on: August 14, 2019, 10:18:34 AM »
hey guys,

Am looking to get some instruction if possible, I'm in Ireland so on GMT+1 time but I fly most evenings for a few hours and then on the weekends when I'm let  :lol

SiK1 if the offer stands and you're able to around those times. I'd love it if you could. If it doesn't suit but someone else is available, that would be cool too.

Thanks a mil guys

Dread

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Training
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 05:32:14 PM »
What do you like to fly?

I believe Sik1 is available but I don't know his schedule.

I can help with flying and ACM if you want additional input or if he can't make it.

Offline Dread

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 05:57:32 AM »
What do you like to fly?

I believe Sik1 is available but I don't know his schedule.

I can help with flying and ACM if you want additional input or if he can't make it.

Hey FLS,

I love flying, period lol.

I've gravitated towards the Spit Mk V, the P47 & 51 and the Hurricane (later model can't remember the MK)
I'm trying other planes as I go, depending on the situation, for example I used the C.202 and the FU lastnight because I needed to dogfight straight off the deck and looking at the stats they seemed to be handy immediately off the ground. Then when put into practice the C202 was better straight off the deck than the FU was but then lacked in handling once you were able to stay up for any length of time... I was 1 V 5 at one stage against 2 Yaks 2 Fu's and a 190 and was able to stay up and dogfight but couldn't get the turn to be able to catch any of them...eventually a mossy came in and wiped me...

I'm having a massive problem with trying to handle the plane and get around on people and not blacking out or compressing... I'm pushing it too hard to try get the turn on them...

the other major prob I have is taking out bombers...very hard to not end up behind them and turned into swiss cheese.

So there's alot of handling things I need to work on but typically I like to either Dive from high up to catch my opponent out or fly low and hard for a straight up dogfight. if that helps  :lol

Cheers,
Dread

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 09:42:31 AM »
Hi Dread,
it looks like our biggest hurdle right now is finding a time that we can work together. I'm pacific time U.S. GMT -7, and because of my current schedule week days probably won't work. The weekend would work better for me. Mid morning to early afternoons 0900-1400 pdt  which would be 1600-2100 gmt. Right now my schedule is kind of limited, but it will open up here in a couple of months. If we can't make it work I'm sure FLS can help you out.

I usually do about an hour long session.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Dread

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 07:16:09 AM »
Thanks Sik,

I'm not sure what I'll be on this weekend, but if I'm on between those hours, I'll throw a message up here and see if you're available.

Cheers,
Dread

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 08:45:13 PM »
A useful basic exercise is flying through a hanger, zoom climbing for max altitude, doing a vertical turn like a hammerhead, tail slide, or torque roll, then flying though the hanger again gaining speed and altitude with each pass. This gives you a feel for trim, high speed maneuvering,  zoom climbs and vertical turns. Stall turns generally make you a nice target in fights but they're good for plane handling skills.

Flying loops fast and slow is also good for near blackout and near stall practice. Practicing diving from altitude will show you the limits to dive angles and speed. The bombing area in the training arena has air launch fields for high altitude practice. A20 - A23.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 09:00:57 PM »
All good practice techniques  FLS posted

Zoom Climb : pull nose up  above the horizon 15, 20, 30, 45, 60 degree angle (your  choice) quickly then unload the  G's  resting  the gauge  on 0 G's  is best,  but just  climbing with no stick  pull (1 G)  will work  almost  as good.... 0 G unloaded zoom  climb is better  and helps you  climb alot faster

.also,  Learn to  ride the  tunnel!  Where  your visual  is roughly about 3" diameter circle  you can see  through,  when flying...and turning pulling nearly to blackout

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC