Author Topic: 5" ship guns  (Read 1895 times)

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
Re: 5" ship guns
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 11:50:11 PM »
Just went to the TA and selected a 5" twin. Whether I select AA or HE, when firing I watch the projectile launch from the gun barrel with a trail of smoke and depending on the arc and distance, land with a splash in the water. There no puffy burst to see or gauge distance by.

Assuming the AA rounds have proximity fuses, and no one flying about with me in the TA, I'm just watching undetonated shells fall into the sea; right?

In the MA, the CV acks are also producing puffs of smoke and given the ferocity of them, how do you determine YOUR round explosion vs the others (and also the other rounds being fired by members of your team)?

Unless it's something new, I never see a smoke trail when I fire the AA rounds from a 5" gun.  I only see the trail from HE rounds. 
"One-Eye"

Offline diaster

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2019, 05:28:37 PM »
I believe the dickens 5” guns are more accurate. It seems so for me, maybe it is because I have to wait for reload so I take more time aiming. Not knowing your screen  resolution and size as well as field of view makes this one iffy. I have an untra wide curved (beyond 9:16, its like 9:21. If the plane is 2k and closer, I lead by about an inch no elevation or very little. 5 k out about two inches lead 1/2” high. 10 k out 4 inches plus angle elevation that is all over the place and like others said, mostly luck! Be advised for low incoming buffs, the 40 millimeters are devastating. Just let him fly into your bullet stream. One last thing, I elevate all the way up from the gun sight (saved posion) and use the center of my screen as a reference. You can see more that way! Good luck!
"Harden The F_ck Up”

Offline diaster

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2020, 12:35:38 PM »
In my experience the single gun is more accurate than the double guns. I am not sure if this is real or just because you have to take more time to place your shot. I can hear anything 3.5 and in  fairly reliably.  At 5 k I am batting 200ish. It is really hard to describe here but I lied about an inch on my monitor no zoom. The farther away they are the more distance that inch represents.. at three cans probably about an inch and a quarter and a 5K is probably close to about 2 inches. Look at your elevation as well, if the plane is five k away, you want your rounds splashing down at about 5.2 when he’s on the deck.
"Harden The F_ck Up”