Author Topic: Captain Al Haynes Dies at 87  (Read 1019 times)

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
Captain Al Haynes Dies at 87
« on: August 27, 2019, 05:23:24 PM »
SIOUX CITY -- Al Haynes, who guided a crippled jumbo jet to a crash landing at Sioux Gateway Airport on July 19, 1989, helping save the lives of 184 passengers and crew, died Sunday.

Haynes, who passed away in a hospital in his hometown of Seattle following a brief illness, was a week shy of his 88th birthday.

At age 57, Haynes served as captain of United Airlines Flight 232, which was bound from Denver to Chicago. After the DC-10 jet suffered a catastrophic failure of its tail-mounted engine over Northwest Iowa, resulting in the loss of all the hydraulic power and many other flight controls, Haynes and his crew were forced to make an emergency landing at the Sioux City airport. The jet stayed afloat while the pilots made a series of 360-degree turns to the right as it approached the airport.

On the final impact, the aircraft's right wing broke off, causing the fuselage to cartwheel in a fiery ball before sliding to a stop upside down in a corn field at the end of a secondary runway.

Miraculously, 184 of the 296 people aboard survived, many due to the heroic actions of the crew, local emergency responders and medical staff.

Haynes was celebrated nationally for keeping his cool in a crisis and overcoming a nearly impossible situation. But he never considered himself a hero, choosing instead to give all the credit to his co-pilots and crew, said Woodbury County emergency management director Gary Brown, who served in that capacity at the time of the crash and grew to consider Haynes a "great friend."

"He was the most humble man I've ever met in my life," Brown said late Sunday night.

In a 2010 interview with The Journal, Haynes noted "the captain gets all the credit, like a quarterback on a football team who won the big game. But, it's a team effort. That's what I stress."

Brown said Haynes never forgot the 112 people who died in the crash.

"I feel guilty about 232," Haynes said in the 2010 interview. "You didn't do the job the company paid you to do -- to get from Point A to Point B."

To honor their memory, he worked tirelessly over the next three decades to help prevent future air disasters. He traveled the world, speaking at various conferences that focused on lessons learned from Flight 232 and making corresponding changes in the industry.

"You can't get over any type of trauma or tragedy without talking about it. I have given over 1,500 talks and it has helped me accept what has happened," Haynes said in the 2010 interview. "Every time I gave a talk in the beginning, it was like therapy. ... I tell people to be proud of what you did. You can learn from it. Don't do it again."

https://siouxcityjournal.com/news/al-haynes-pilot-of-flight-dies-at/article_d0c5ea59-ff8e-555d-95d2-6f9d9fe9176e.html
The webpage from the Sioux City Journal has pictures.

:salute

Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Captain Al Haynes Dies at 87
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 07:11:22 PM »
 :salute :cry

Offline KrazyIvn

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 08:09:21 PM »

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 09:25:03 PM »

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 09:33:53 PM »
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 09:35:12 PM »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 10:30:01 AM »
Amazing skill set to bring back anyone from that flight.  :salute sir
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 10:38:08 AM »
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 02:24:21 PM »
Amazing skill set to bring back anyone from that flight.  :salute sir

Massive team effort.   We lost Denny Fitch awhile back, too.  Sad to see these guys flying west. 

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 08:59:16 PM »
I was there in Sioux City when the disaster took place.  I was 16 and at the public swimming pool.  We heard the sirens from police, fire and ambulance going for over 30 minutes.  This was long before internet and cell phones.  We had no idea what was going on.  Only, after getting home and watching the TV, de I know what happened.

I was also a cadet in Civil Air Patrol.  We were tasked with walking the asphalt runways and taxiways plus the grassy areas.  We were placed in a long line abreast with other volunteers.  Our instructions were to avoid large debris and look for small debris and personal objects.  Once spotted, we were to stop and shout it out and a designated NTSB person would run up with a plastic bag and tag it while wearing gloves.

I was fortunate to be around many of the men and women who were there that day.  Gary Brown, Jim Hathaway, Denny Nielsen, and many others during that summer.  Dave Kaplan who was a member of the Civil Air Patrol and 2nd in Command of Sioux City Emergency Services under Gary Brown was the man who pulled Al Haynes out of the flight deck.

AKBmzawy was a member of the 185th ANG unit.  He was also very involved with the aftermath.  AKShrddr who was 13 at the time also helped with the debris walks.

Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 06:39:47 AM »
I was there in Sioux City when the disaster took place.  I was 16 and at the public swimming pool.  We heard the sirens from police, fire and ambulance going for over 30 minutes.  This was long before internet and cell phones.  We had no idea what was going on.  Only, after getting home and watching the TV, de I know what happened.

I was also a cadet in Civil Air Patrol.  We were tasked with walking the asphalt runways and taxiways plus the grassy areas.  We were placed in a long line abreast with other volunteers.  Our instructions were to avoid large debris and look for small debris and personal objects.  Once spotted, we were to stop and shout it out and a designated NTSB person would run up with a plastic bag and tag it while wearing gloves.

I was fortunate to be around many of the men and women who were there that day.  Gary Brown, Jim Hathaway, Denny Nielsen, and many others during that summer.  Dave Kaplan who was a member of the Civil Air Patrol and 2nd in Command of Sioux City Emergency Services under Gary Brown was the man who pulled Al Haynes out of the flight deck.

AKBmzawy was a member of the 185th ANG unit.  He was also very involved with the aftermath.  AKShrddr who was 13 at the time also helped with the debris walks.

Very interesting...   what a small world we live in.  :salute
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 06:25:33 PM »
I remember reading about that. Asymmetric thrust for flight control.  :rock  :salute

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 01:49:08 AM »
I did a case study on flight 232 back for my cpl ground school. Simply an incredible job those pilots did. 
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights