Author Topic: Just an observation II  (Read 1819 times)

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
Just an observation II
« on: August 28, 2019, 04:49:12 PM »
You have meandering rivers where the rivers should run in more of a straight lie. Now not all of them, but a few. What this has to do with the game, I have no idea. Just an observation.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Just an observation II
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 05:43:14 PM »
Becasue I ran the ones on riftval to fit my base placements that I wanted bridges between the spawn and field. Along with running at the bottom of the valleys I accommodated for the restrictions of the base placements created by Hitech's rules for MA terrain base placement. On Oceania which was before Hitech introduced the road\river\train paths objects, I hand cut rivers in to accommodate using bridges as GV choke points for attacking fields with the map room on the field. Hand cut rivers narrow enough to be spanned by a bridge object, run into a problem of the cut path being limited by the direction you are cutting across the ground's polygon field. On oceania I suspect you have seen those tiny polygon teeth that really cannot be smoothed out when the river is narrow enough to span with a bridge object.

Laying down river paths with the path object that you see on riftval becomes limited like getting flat roads by the polygon field in 3D spaces in a descending valley bottom between two ridges. And by the needs of the horizontal topography profile to achieve a design visual. The terrain mesh for AH3 is made of 660ftx660ftx660ft polygons. The vertices meets are unforgiving if you want to retain an illusion of smoothness on a valley bottom for a river path or a road path. After all you don't want your river object or road object to have vertical vertices kinks in them. Riftval was the first time for anyone using the new path tool for a large scale terrain and by fjordma I chose not to bother becasue of the amount of time a single river takes including bridges.

Anything else you want to know about terrain building for the MA? So did you really want to know any of this or just scold Hitech for something he didn't do?

Hitech does not build the terrains for this game, players do. Aside from the four I created for AH3 and buzzsaw that I think Waffle created. The players who created all the old terrains in rotation are not in the game anymore except for Greebo and his CraterMA. And mine are the only ones with intractable rivers visa bridges on them. CraterMA and Grinder have very wide rivers more like brackish bay meanderings because of the widths.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 08:09:39 PM »
I know about those things, I was just wanting to get yelled at. I will be noting more meaningless observations in the future just for entertainment.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 09:05:43 PM »
You have meandering rivers where the rivers should run in more of a straight lie. Now not all of them, but a few. What this has to do with the game, I have no idea. Just an observation.

I dont think I have ever seen a river run strait for any real length of time. Are you looking for something a bit more "arcadi"?

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 09:12:08 PM »
I know rivers don't run arrow straight, but they all don't run like the Mississippi either.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 09:50:16 PM »
a few years ago people wanted rivers with bridges to cross.  now we have rivers with bridges to cross.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 09:50:21 PM »
Bridges and other choke points are fun for GV’ers. Good fights start up when a group tries to take a base.  :aok

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline RELIC

• Nickel Member
      • http://DFA-Squad.org/
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 12:22:04 AM »
I like radial tires and pancakes.
DGSII Scenario-2012  352nd FG/487th FS
P-51D "Cold Gin"
Noseart

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 01:25:14 AM »
+1 :rofl
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 06:51:49 AM »
I like radial tires and pancakes.

They became so much better when they made them round.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 08:53:56 AM »
you know the straightness of a river has to do with flow right?  Flow fast = straight, flow slow - meandering.

However, if you ask Bustr the straightness of a river depends very much on the scale of a map because according to the rules laid out by Hitech the volume of the river must not exceed the square root of the number of posts that Bustr mentions the dimensions of the map he is trying to create given the already aforementioned constraints that Hitech has previously determined to be correct.

I take my hat off to Bustr.  No other player could possibly create such maps...………  and one day people will think they are good.  <S>

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 09:09:12 AM »

you know the straightness of a river has to do with flow right?  Flow fast = straight, flow slow - meandering.

However, if you ask Bustr the straightness of a river depends very much on the scale of a map because according to the rules laid out by Hitech the volume of the river must not exceed the square cubed root of the number of posts that Bustr mentions the dimensions of the map he is trying to create given the already aforementioned constraints that Hitech has previously determined to be correct.

I take my hat off to Bustr.  No other player could possibly create such maps...………  and one day people will think they are good.  <S>

HiTech

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2019, 09:20:30 AM »

However, if you ask Bustr the straightness of a river depends very much on the scale of a map because according to the rules laid out by Hitech the volume of the river must not exceed the square root of the number of posts that Bustr mentions the dimensions of the map he is trying to create given the already aforementioned constraints that Hitech has previously determined to be correct.

One day has arrived.  I enjoy Bustr’s terrains and appreciate the effort he puts in to them for us. <S>

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2019, 10:37:15 AM »
  Actually the older the river the more curves are created.  :banana: :banana: :banana:
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 10:44:55 AM »

I really like his maps.  He really does seem to put thought into gameplay and improving as he goes.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11