Author Topic: Windows 10 upgrade  (Read 2482 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Windows 10 upgrade
« on: August 28, 2019, 11:08:48 PM »
In case nobody knows.
If you have a valid windows 7+ you CAN still upgrade for free to windows 10 in spite of announcements to the contrary.
I know. I did it.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re: Windows 10 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 11:25:01 PM »
Forgot to include this.
Just follow the instructions here
https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-free-upgrade-2018/
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 11:25:35 PM »
But is it really an "upgrade" or forced by EOL? I've heard many more complain then compliment it.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 11:34:15 PM »
I've been running it for a few weeks now and am still getting used to it. No real problems so far. some things I like alot. Some not so much.
Pretty much what you would expect with anything new
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 01:52:28 AM »
I used the MS update from Win7Pro 64 bit to the equivalent Win10, about 6 or 8 months ago. It's been a steep learning curve to customize Win10 to my satisfaction, but yes, I am happy with it. If you had an unusual settings in Win7 that you miss, it's best to post it here and someone will probably know how to implement it. Otherwise it may take you 6 months before you find a way to implement that feature.

:cheers:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 02:06:36 AM »
Now that the end of Win7 support is nigh, I've done lots of upgrades to Win10. The option has been a public secret among service shops and it has been mentioned in some PC magazines as well.

There's several ways to do it:

1) Download the Tool from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, change the en-us to your locale if needed. Start the Tool and choose "Upgrade this computer now". That will leave all your programs and files intact, including any garbage, so uninstall any obsolete programs including your anti-virus and get rid of all junk files.
2) Start the Tool as above but create an installing media (read: >8 Gb memory stick) to be used on your computer. Boot from that stick.
3) As above but uncheck the "For this computer" option so you can use it on any computer. When the installation asks for the code, use the Windows 7 code on the sticker of your computer.
4) Options 1 and possibly 2 include an option to undo the upgrade within 10 days. However, having once installed and activated 10 on that computer will leave the electronic activation valid so you can do a clean install Win10 on that machine without any code and even on a fresh new hard disk in the future!

Thus, if your computer is still up to the task but you're uncertain about getting 10 right now, choose option 1 and revert back to Win7 after having checked that Win 10 has been successfully activated.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 09:43:27 PM »
I used the MS update from Win7Pro 64 bit to the equivalent Win10, about 6 or 8 months ago. It's been a steep learning curve to customize Win10 to my satisfaction, but yes, I am happy with it. If you had an unusual settings in Win7 that you miss, it's best to post it here and someone will probably know how to implement it. Otherwise it may take you 6 months before you find a way to implement that feature.

:cheers:
The only REAL complaint I have about it so far is it seems that its volume is geared to cell phones or something as even at maxx volume settings in windows itself I cant "crank" the sound. Which gets annoying with some videos whos sound already might  be a bit on the low side.
Havent found a workaround yet
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 09:46:58 PM »
The only REAL complaint I have about it so far is it seems that its volume is geared to cell phones or something as even at maxx volume settings in windows itself I cant "crank" the sound. Which gets annoying with some videos whos sound already might  be a bit on the low side.
Havent found a workaround yet

are you using onboard Sound from your MB or a dedicated SoundCard? 
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 12:42:53 AM »
Onboard sound.
Already right clicked and tried settings there.
Looked online and it seems to be a common problem people are complaining about
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 06:39:50 AM »
Interesting. My only issue since switching to 10 is sound related as well. When dialing up certain news feeds (vids from CNN usually) there's no sound at all.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 06:01:11 PM »
I ignore the onboard sound card when ever possible. I also use USB audio interfaces for recording (Scarlett and Tascam devices for Cubase) and for gaming and streaming I use good 'ol USB audio headphones with a preamp. I rarely have audio issues with my set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 01:05:05 AM »
yup not switching to win10 till they fix the sound.  it's like one of those things that are basic in every system and they didnt think about it?  wonder what else they didnt think about.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 08:38:25 AM »
No sound issues in our 10-machines.

As most motherboards use Realtek onboard sound, how about checking for new drivers? https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/pc-audio-codecs-high-definition-audio-codecs-software

And for those of us who have lost the Realtek Audio Control Panel: For some reason it can't start automatically but it still is there as C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RAVCpl64.exe. Create a shortcut and run when needed.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 06:45:56 AM »
Already checked both through update driver and downloading manually.
Already have the best driver message.
The sound is tolerable but I prefer to control my own destiny. Though If I were hearing impaired this could be a real problem.
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 12:04:21 PM »
The sound is tolerable but I prefer to control my own destiny. Though If I were hearing impaired this could be a real problem.
Bear in mind that the onboard sound is designed for active speakers with a built-in amplifier. The front panel connection may not have any extra amp for headphones. Then again, my 5.1 Medusa phones have a USB powered amp. I have the Windows volume at 30% and the phones at 3/10 for AH and most other purposes. On certain YouTube videos I have to lower the output volume. Goes to show there's variation in headphones. Ohmage can also seriously change the output volume one way or the other.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 12:06:27 PM by Bizman »

Kotisivuni