Author Topic: Powered USB hub  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Powered USB hub
« on: December 13, 2019, 06:50:19 AM »
My HOTAS involves CH Product Fighterstick, Throttle and Peds. What are the adverse consequences of not using a powered hub? I've been using a Belkin (not sure if it's USB 2 or 3...it's at least 8 years old) but can't find the connector cable. Any recommendations for a replacement? Amazon carries a gaggle of them between $15 -$40

Thanks

« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 06:58:13 AM by Max »

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Powered USB hub
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 07:30:34 AM »
The main consequence is instability of your gaming controllers due to lack of power.

By connector cable, do you mean the one that goes into one of the USB ports in your computer? If so, those are generic and available almost everywhere. Just get one that fits the slot in the Belkin.

If you've lost the transformer, get a new hub.

Powered USB hubs are pretty straightforward devices. A single USB port can be split to transfer data from at least 128 devices according to one memory stick maker back then, a powered hub provides the full 500 mA to every port on it to keep more power hungry devices up and running.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 07:38:49 AM »
Good morning Max,

Over all these years, I've seen 100s to 1,000's of post recommending people to use external powered USB hubs.....

I guess it is because for reasons like people have used cheaper Motherboards, or use a whole lot of extra USB devices or other things.....

Me personally, I have never found a need or use for an external powered USB hub...but with that said I have always used ASUS' top of the line or near it Motherboards... Regardless if I'm building an INTEL or an AMD system...

I use the same hotas setup as you do and I've never had no USB issues... I've suspected that I might be having 1 or 2 inn the past, but after trouble shooting the problem , it was always some simple solution I had overlooked, because the fix was so simple/easy and my brain was smoking looking for something worse that wasn't there, LOL....

Currently, I am using 8 devices plugged in to my USB ports and sometimes 9 to 10 if I'm transferring files from my phone or using USB stick drives....

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 10:03:30 AM »
The reason is Windows management of motherboard USB power is terrible and you will lose your controllers amid flight constantly, or have other issues like losing calibration. Don't use the cheaper Chinese powered USB extenders because I have had them destroy CH controllers with power spikes.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 04:36:12 PM »
I have my 3 flight controllers and Rift hardware plugged directly into my puter USB ports without a powered hub, and have not noticed issues.....other than every once in a great while I need to recalibrate my throttle so I can use WEP, but that's a pretty rare event.....in case one of you more knowledgeable about mobos are interested, my currently installed mobo is an MSI B150 Gaming M3.

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 07:56:07 PM »
As an alternative to using a powered USB hub, especially if you're using the powered USB hub for your controllers only, is to use the dedicated USB 2.0 internal USB ports located on the motherboard thru a 3 or 4-slot USB 2.0 rear case slot adapter as these USB ports are very seldom used and are dedicated so power regulation is much better thru them. If you're using VR you could also use the unused USB 3.0 internal motherboard ports thru a rear case slot USB 3.0 adapter as well for the same reasoning....better power regulation. Most motherboard manuf's still provide these internal USB 2.0 ports (usually 2 of them to provide an additional 4 USB 2.0 ports) & an extra USB 3.0 internal port in addition to the internal USB 3.0 access port provided for front case USB 3.0 access.

The trick is to find these rear case slot USB adapters nowadays as these were usually included w\ motherboards back in the day due to limited USB rear access. I've still found these being sold thru Newegg but at some point in time the USB 2.0 adapters will be phased out.

I switched to 1 of these (had 1 spare 4-slot USB 2.0 rear case adapter in my computer parts stash) for my CH HOTAS some 2 yrs back after my Belkin 4-port powered USB 1.1 hub gave up the ghost after some 15 yrs of service & after using an Orico 7-port USB 2.0 PCI-E adapter that worked good but experienced grounding issues w\ USB plugs rubbing against the rear case slots causing controller signal spiking I've never had another issue w\ my HOTAS since.

Just putting this out here as this avenue is very rarely mentioned but is readily available.
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 05:26:33 PM »
No matter what you choose to get do t forget to water them.  Plenty of water

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 02:18:51 PM »
Greetings,

All of the sudden (probably after an upgrade, but I have been gone a lot this year) only my CH rudder pedals are recognized by the device manager.  The stick and throttle are 'unknown USB device's.  I will try a powered hub this weekend.

Regards,

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 03:48:40 PM »
Greetings,

Well, didn't make the weekend goal.  Work.

Powered USB resulted in the computer recognizing all three - Stick, Throttle, and Pedals.

Regards,

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2020, 09:18:26 PM »
I ended up putting one of these in my computer for the extra ports. It is screwy unless you get the correct driver installed for it.

And I also have an extra header inside for the back and bought a multimedia/card reader for the 5.25 bay in the tower that has USB ports on that also
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 09:31:47 AM »
The issue with USB is the amount of power supplied by the MB. That's why the card pictured above has a power connection to the PS on it. MB's designed for gaming often supply enough power to the MB that a powered hub is not needed.