Author Topic: Tough 2C at night  (Read 841 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Tough 2C at night
« on: September 03, 2019, 06:54:50 AM »
Thanks to Lyric1 for finding me some of the info for these skins.

The all-black Hurricane is the aircraft of Flt. Lt. Karel Kuttlewascher of 1 Squadron RAF in 1942. Kuttlewascher escaped his native Czechoslovakia in June 1939 after it was annexed by Germany and later fought with the Armee de l'Air until France's capitulation. After joining the RAF he was posted to 1 squadron flying Hurricanes and flew in the tail end of the Battle of Britain. He scored three kills of 109s during daytime missions over France 1941 before 1 Squadron was switched to night intruder operations. Here he excelled, shooting down 15 German bombers over their airfields in only three months. Kuttlewascher returned to his home country after the war but later emigrated back to Britain, unhappy with the rise of the Soviet-backed Czech Communist Party.

Models, skins and even a warbird of Kuttlewascher's aircraft are often depicted in a grey/green/black scheme with red codes and a "night reaper" emblem and these appear to be based on a 1965 Profile Publications profile. I could not find any photo of this or of any other 1 Squadron Hurricane in this scheme and I suspect it may be fictitious. The only RL photos of grey/green/black Hurris are from 87 Squadron and as this is a cool scheme I decided to do one of these too.

This 87 Squadron Hurricane named "Night Duty" was flown on night intruder ops by Flt Sgt Bawd while based at Charmy Down in September 1942. It appears to have been first repainted black all-over and later to have had grey and green disruptive scheme re-applied on the upper surfaces.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 06:58:59 AM by Greebo »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Tough 2C at night
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 08:12:08 AM »
Those are awesome.   :aok
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 10:41:54 AM »
 :aok

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 12:14:00 PM »
:aok
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 01:00:32 PM »
nice work on these.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 04:55:54 PM »
This is going to be my new default skin for the Hurri! <S> Greebo and Lyric1
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 03:05:41 PM »
 :D
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 04:34:40 PM »
Very nice! :aok
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 05:13:38 PM »
Greebo, is this the one you think is fictional?
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 05:15:41 PM »
One nice all black LK-A, and some other LK kites of 87 Squadron with the black undersides.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 02:40:19 AM »
Greebo, is this the one you think is fictional?

The level of detail in the descriptive text is quite convincing and it may be based on an unknown photo or on the memories of a mechanic or pilot. However I wasn't able to find any photo or any other written reference to this aircraft in the grey/green scheme anywhere on the net or in any book which is odd given on how well known the pilot is. I even bought Night Hawk, the biography of Kuttlewascher. This book had a description of his aircraft in the grey/green scheme but it was taken directly from this profile with no other reference quoted. The only photos I have seen of Hurris in the grey/green/black scheme are from 87 squadron and none of these aircraft have red codes, the only Hurris I have seen with red codes are all-black ones. The sky fuselage band and yellow leading edges seem odd on a night fighter aircraft too.

There are several photos of this aircraft in the all-black scheme that I skinned but given the style of roundel these probably date from 1941 so its possible the aircraft could have been repainted to look like the profile later. However the artist who painted this profile also did one for the Profile Publications book on the Typhoon and I know from past research that that one is a work of fiction, so he has form for letting his imagination run free. Given that I'd not want to base a skin solely on his work.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 03:21:14 AM by Greebo »

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 12:33:08 PM »
Can’t disagree with your thinking on that.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters