Author Topic: Thumping Noise In 109  (Read 4729 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Thumping Noise In 109
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2019, 05:39:38 PM »
Skyyr taught me that and I've used it in the MA a few times.  Works awesome.  I completely forgot about it.  HA HA.   :cheers:

I'm not convinced it would be effective with with prop driven plane unless you had plenty of alt to give up. The F4's thrust let it dump that "E" and powered it's way back into controlled flight.

YMMV.

:salute

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2019, 06:02:10 PM »
I'm not convinced it would be effective with with prop driven plane unless you had plenty of alt to give up. The F4's thrust let it dump that "E" and powered it's way back into controlled flight.

YMMV.

It's extremely effective.  T:W ratio helps your cause to accelerate, but the airplane will fly once you get it back coordinated and below the critical angle of attack even at idle power.   Thrust doesn't make the wing fly--as you know, there's more to it than that.   This is a desperation move to avoid a trip to the tower.

The first time I did it was on the deck in a P-51 against an LA-7.  He blew by me right into my gunsight, and if I had been a better shot it would have been a kill.   Wound up with an assist because it kept me alive long enough for my wingman to come save my butt.

I did it half a dozen other times with similar results and then took some time away from the game which caused me to forget about it.  I'll have to try it again if I can think under pressure the next time it is relevant.    :salute

« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 08:13:33 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2019, 10:31:17 AM »

YMMV.

It all boils down to energy management and how it’s accomplished in relation to the other guy.  Whatever it takes.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2019, 01:56:45 PM »
It all boils down to energy management and how it’s accomplished in relation to the other guy.  Whatever it takes.

I agree whatever it takes in a RL situation if a mig was behind me shooting basketballs at me I'm sure I would do whatever it takes! That said in a prop powered plane you dont have the luxury of all that thrust so I would think the best choice would be to not let the enemy get your 6. Some simple BFM could accomplish the same thing as far as the game is concerned.

We dont really die so it doesnt matter. :devil

YMMV.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2019, 03:14:22 PM »

I agree whatever it takes in a RL situation if a mig was behind me shooting basketballs at me I'm sure I would do whatever it takes! That said in a prop powered plane you dont have the luxury of all that thrust so I would think the best choice would be to not let the enemy get your 6. Some simple BFM could accomplish the same thing as far as the game is concerned.

YMMV.

If your goal is to keep someone off your six then fly a jet at high altitude.    The dynamics of this game are such that you will wind up with someone on your six no matter how good you are with ACM.

Thrust is relative.    Your opponent can't regain his either so he either has to dump, break off, it or overshoot.  All of these are better than letting him hang there and hose you.   It works.   Partly because so few even contemplate it.   It's not jet-specific.   
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2019, 05:14:15 PM »

YMMV.

It’s all relative, jet or prop.  The same energy management and BFM techniques still work equally as well, just at different speeds and amounts of available thrust.   :aok  :salute

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2019, 05:28:24 PM »

YMMV.

To a certain extent, yes.  But, if the Rhino got into a very low energy state (say a vertical scissors to a point where the airspeed indicator pegged at the bottom), the only recovery was purely vertical, downhill, in full AB.  In my ROK squadron, I was taught to never go pure vertical downhill through 10,000 ft with less than 250 knots indicated because the decent rate and subsequent nose authority wouldn’t allow for a pull out before ground/water impact.  So, again, energy management was and is key to survival.

“Speed is life”

“Lose sight, lose fight”

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2019, 06:18:22 PM »
Puma,

the vid I linked has almost that exact thing in it too! IIRC it wasnt a vertical scissor,more of a vertical reversal but the mig falls off first and the Rhino comes out on the mig's 6.

Proof with enough thrust even a pig will fly! :devil

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2019, 09:19:45 PM »
Proof with enough thrust even a pig will fly!

Please don't tell those POTW people.  They'll get all hung up on the thrust thing, and it will get embarrassing for everyone.

- oldman

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2019, 09:53:33 AM »
  Proof with enough thrust even a pig will fly! :devil

Or a refrigerator, as we often referred to the Phantom in these situations.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2019, 04:13:29 PM »

Please don't tell those POTW people.  They'll get all hung up on the thrust thing, and it will get embarrassing for everyone.

- oldman

I hear ya Old,I know the POTW use a secret methane gas for extra thrust!  I just dont want to be the igniter. :devil : :noid

PS: Puma does the light really go off when you shut the door?...             inquiring minds.