Author Topic: Triple Monitors  (Read 4170 times)

Offline BWRaven

• Zinc Member
Triple Monitors
« on: September 07, 2019, 01:55:04 PM »
I have three monitors running through a dual-video docking station. All three of my monitors are displayed in the account video settings. How do I configure the game to run on all three monitors?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Triple Monitors
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 02:07:11 PM »
It's a simple calculation. Just sum the horizontal resolutions and apply that in the video settings of the game. The vertical settings will remain the same.

So if you have three 1920x1080 monitors in horizontal position, it'd be 3x1920=5760 for horizontal and 1080 for vertical, i.e. 5760x1080. Notice that using three monitors will triple the load for your video card! You'd need something like an Nvidia GTX970/1060/2060 or the AMD equivalent at the least, for more eye candy a faster one.

If you can pivot the monitors, i.e. put them on the side, the calculation would be 3x1080=3240x1920. 
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 02:52:41 PM »
I have three monitors running through a dual-video docking station. All three of my monitors are displayed in the account video settings. How do I configure the game to run on all three monitors?

You need the monitors to appear as one monitor to Windows. This generally requires the monitors to all be plugged into one video card that can accommodate a triple display. The game will then see the three monitors as one display, you don't need any special settings in the game.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 06:25:52 PM »
Check the documentation on your docking station . See if you can extend the display over the three monitors so Windows sees it as one big monitor.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 08:26:32 PM »
You need the monitors to appear as one monitor to Windows. This generally requires the monitors to all be plugged into one video card that can accommodate a triple display. The game will then see the three monitors as one display, you don't need any special settings in the game.

I had 3 monitors that were connected to 2 different cards in sli mode.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 08:54:58 PM »
I had 3 monitors that were connected to 2 different cards in sli mode.

semp

That's why I said "generally".  Perhaps your experience with 2 video cards in SLI will help the OP with his video docking station.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 09:18:43 PM »

choose the resolution in the video settings when you first open aces high.  if windows can see 3 monitors so will ah.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 04:42:43 PM »
can you cobble any size monitor together?
I have 2 different size ones, thought it would be fun to see if I could enlarge my view.
1280x1024 and 1920x1080
is it 3200x1024?
cheers
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 04:54:59 PM »
Nevermind misread the final resolution
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 04:36:49 AM »
I have 2 different size ones, thought it would be fun to see if I could enlarge my view.
1280x1024 and 1920x1080
is it 3200x1024?
cheers
Basically yes. If your 1920x1080 monitor has the setting for blacking out the extra pixels instead of stretching them the image might be crisper.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 07:16:39 AM »
With Nvidia, at least, all monitors must be set to the same initial resolution before the spanning operation. It (surround) also does not work with SLI.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 07:30:56 AM »
1280x1024 and 1920x1080
is it 3200x1024?
cheers

Are you planning on the two monitor bezels being next to or splitting the gunsight?  That's the reason we talk about triple monitors but you don't hear much about double monitors for gaming.

Unless you stack the monitors you'd be reducing your frame rate for no real advantage since air combat generally needs more vertical view than horizontal view.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 10:20:42 AM »
Uh, reducing frame rate? I don't think so.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 10:27:25 AM »
Why not?

If you double the resolution you also double the load to the video card. If the video card barely can keep at 60 fps with one monitor, two similar ones logically would do only 30-ish unless there's some hidden power in the secondary monitor connector I'm not aware of.

Kotisivuni

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 10:33:21 AM »

Doubling the resolution doesn't reduce frame rate?  You know his specs?

Granted if it's over 60 he'll see the same fps but it likely won't be the same performance.