Author Topic: Triple Monitors  (Read 3811 times)

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
Re: Triple Monitors
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2019, 08:26:13 PM »
thanks guys, weirdly it works in the lobby, the screen is spread across both monitors, but when game launches its only in 1.
Any ideas why?
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2019, 08:31:09 PM »
Did you set the new spanned resolution in video settings?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2019, 01:07:24 AM »
Doubling the resolution doesn't reduce frame rate?  You know his specs?

Granted if it's over 60 he'll see the same fps but it likely won't be the same performance.

Well, it depends. And, then it depends. In some cases frame rate could be limited, and in others not. In order to know the real affect we would have to ask HiTech how offscreen objects affect frame rates (frustum culling), versus something called occlusion culling. If objects are still calculated even though they are outside of the current camera, then no, changing the number of monitors will have a minimal affect upon frame rates. Then it also is affected by the system limitations of a particular user. If every possible view you might have from your cockpit is continuously calculated, then the only affect upon frame rates that adding additional monitors will have is actual hardware draw times, which is to say nearly zero difference.

My bet is that HiTech is taken great pains to reduce the load upon your system to such a degree that the changes are as minimal as possible, and that you would have to have fairly weak hardware to see much difference.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2019, 01:42:06 AM »
Did you set the new spanned resolution in video settings?

it does not go up to 3200x1024    Length both screens added together

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2019, 01:44:11 AM »
Offscreen objects don't affect frame rates, or at least they shouldn't. There was an issue with that loooooong ago when the game calculated the train routes outside the monitor but that was soon fixed.

Chalenge, could you please explain how objects could be outside the camera if they are visible on the combined screen? My brain isn't capable of understanding your previous explanation.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2019, 01:48:22 AM »
Have you set Windows to use both screens as one (Expanded, not clone)? And have you set your resolution in Windows for the 1080p screen to 1920x1024 to match the height of the smaller monitor? And further, are the screens placed in the right order so the view is continuous?

If all that is done, the in-game settings should enable 3200x1024.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2019, 02:04:31 AM »
thanks for the help,
1. Yes expand
2.yes.. I can set it to 1600x1024, other one being 1280x1024
they are on a preset sliding scale
3.yes screens in right order..
then I go to video settings video resolution,,1920x1080 is the highest res offered..
will post this then restart machine, see if that helps.
shrugs..I dunno

did not help, in officersmess/lobby on both screens, game kicks in ..only 1 screen
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 02:11:55 AM by JimmyC »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2019, 04:20:31 AM »
Offscreen objects don't affect frame rates, or at least they shouldn't. There was an issue with that loooooong ago when the game calculated the train routes outside the monitor but that was soon fixed.

Chalenge, could you please explain how objects could be outside the camera if they are visible on the combined screen? My brain isn't capable of understanding your previous explanation.

Offscreen has two meanings in this case; 1) not visible even if the camera is pointed directly at an object because of overlapping objects at different ranges, and 2) outside of the field of view. Obviously offscreen objects are still in memory and include textures, etc., however since they still take up memory they must affect frame rates to some degree. I contend that the frame rate doesn't change because whether it is offscreen or not the affect upon frame rate is constant. So, while changing resolutions on a single screen will certainly change how hard the card has to work, that effort should be (more or less) constant no matter how many screens you add up to the limit of hardware (three in the case of Surround). The point being that the additional screens are available in memory whether they are displayed or not. The only real additional load is the data movement from one part of memory to the screen, which is the whole purpose of the hardware to begin with. Remember that the real burden is not resolution, but in memory size. So, AA and AF have a much greater effect in the overall picture.

A much greater hit upon FPS can be seen by leaving a streaming video paused on one screen (particularly using Microsoft Edge) while playing on a second monitor. Don't ever do that.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2019, 08:23:17 AM »

Windows display setting will tell you what resolution you have, use that setting in AH.

Well, it depends. And, then it depends. In some cases frame rate could be limited, and in others not. ...

You aren't talking about doubling the resolution, which is what I referred to.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2019, 06:44:27 PM »
. . . The point being that the additional screens are available in memory whether they are displayed or not. The only real additional load is the data movement from one part of memory to the screen, which is the whole purpose of the hardware to begin with. Remember that the real burden is not resolution, but in memory size. So, AA and AF have a much greater effect in the overall picture.
. . .

Yes I am, FLS. What I am NOT talking about is superfluous frame rate above the refresh rate of your monitors.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2019, 10:03:24 PM »
Yes I am, FLS. What I am NOT talking about is superfluous frame rate above the refresh rate of your monitors.

That's a possibility as I mentioned but in this case it's just speculation unless you know his hardware and settings.

... in officersmess/lobby on both screens, game kicks in ..only 1 screen

You haven't combined the screens in Windows. You need to combine the screens to make one bigger screen. You do that in your video card software. Then you set that resolution in Aces High.

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2019, 02:12:58 AM »

You haven't combined the screens in Windows. You need to combine the screens to make one bigger screen. You do that in your video card software. Then you set that resolution in Aces High.

Winner winner chicken dinner!!!
many thanks for the IT help fellers <S>

sorry for Hijack BWRaven

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2019, 02:48:30 AM »
That's a possibility as I mentioned but in this case it's just speculation unless you know his hardware and settings.

As is everything you have said, unless you know his hardware and settings. This is why I mentioned the problems that come about with varying hardware and settings.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2019, 06:12:50 AM »
Winner winner chicken dinner!!!
many thanks for the IT help fellers <S>

sorry for Hijack BWRaven

Glad you got it working.  :aok

As is everything you have said, unless you know his hardware and settings. This is why I mentioned the problems that come about with varying hardware and settings.

That's not correct. Doubling the resolution decreases the max frame rate. The fact that the monitor can't display it doesn't change that fact.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2019, 04:06:27 PM »
just gonna say you wont be able to play on 2 monitors the gunsight will be in the middle, i tried it and it sucks.  you need to play on 3 or 1.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.