Author Topic: VR Pilots Sound Off  (Read 2127 times)

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
VR Pilots Sound Off
« on: September 09, 2019, 12:42:57 PM »
I would like to create a roster of all players currently flying in vr and what system they are using.. My end goal is to create an epic battle VR vs Non-VR and then conduct a survey/research for a pros/cons, advantages/disadvantages type debrief. This is all in effort to better educate our players and consumers so they can better decide which way to go.. 

Ill go first..

Call Sign "SAAM I AM" or just "SAAMY" or "SAAM"
VR Gear - Oculus Rift gen 1 with touch controllers and 2 sensors
Pc info - GPU - MSI GTX960 4gb, CPU Core i5 3400ghz, 12gb Ram, 1tb ssd
Notes.. my graphics card and cpu are actually just below the Oculus minimum recommended. They say GTX970 is bare minimum. I have no issues running AH with my current setup so long as i dumb down my in game settings a bit..

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: VR Pilots Sound Off
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 01:11:01 PM »
You will only get responses from players who frequent the BB.
Still using a basic three controller setup and use the old view system, not even track ir.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 02:48:15 PM »
Callsign Fork
VR Gear - Acer AH101 with two controllers. I use a Saitek X-52 HOTAS and Thrustmaster Pedals
PC Info - 16Gb ram, CPU Core is i7 3770, 750mb ssd, GPU - EVGA 1070 GTX 8Gb
Notes - I don't use the two controllers to fly - 99% flying is HOTAS
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 08:35:44 PM »
Rift S. Don't use the touch controllers for anything, using hotas for everything else. Don't get to fly as much as I'd like tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 02:24:53 AM »
High ya Sam. You ran into me in War Online Pacific! Nvidia 1070...Rift S...Asus G20
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 05:37:26 PM »
Speaking of VR. Has anybody posted something like VR basics?

Examples:
How does a VR controller work? do I need a stick can I used one?
What's the best bang for the buck getting started with VR?
Pros and cons of VR. IE: It's easier to see enemy but but harder to see chat or something?

I've considered VR but don't know much about it so I was curious if someone had or could post such a think.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 08:13:59 PM »
VR is the way to go - flying without it might put you at a disadvantage

Setup
Vive Pro
i9-9900K@3.60
RTX 2070
Warthog stick
Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
Ch Pedals

<S>
Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 08:46:56 PM »
Speaking of VR. Has anybody posted something like VR basics?

Examples:
How does a VR controller work? do I need a stick can I used one?
What's the best bang for the buck getting started with VR?
Pros and cons of VR. IE: It's easier to see enemy but but harder to see chat or something?

I've considered VR but don't know much about it so I was curious if someone had or could post such a think.

List your questions, they will be answered.

I have never used the controllers in AH. They work ok in other games, but I think a stick with switches just works quicker, more positive action.

I use a stick, throttle, and rudder pedals even flying in VR

You can catch a sale on Acer and a couple others Be sure the one your looking at works in AH. Post here what your looking at and these guys will steer you strait. I have an Oculus and love it.

Pros, immersion! It adds "feel" to the experience. Falling out of your chair is a possibility. Tracking is much easier as long as your looking at a single target.

Cons, resolution is lower and so looks a bit grainy. While you can see the wall of your plane you CAN tell that the wall is as thin as the graphic over lay. Typing is pretty much impossible unless you touch type. Voice command software helps as well as having a crap load of buttons on my hotas. Learning to fly again is the one that gets me. Old dog , new tricks thing. My thumb on the hat switch is still quicker than turning my neck.

I love the feel of VR, I hate learning how to fly with it, but it is the future.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 11:52:10 PM »
Fugi...OldDog maybe? Thats what keeps us young....new things!  :rock   Your mention of the Hat Switches, KEY! This is the only sim I know, that lets you still use view commands/hatswitches. Its hard at first, but it gets easier. I hardly ever need the hat switch any more. VOICEATTACK(or like program) is the software I use...its a must imho. Unless you have a ThrustMaster stick and Hotas, or one with A LOT of buttons..it will save you a lot of frustrations.I do have a Thrustmaster warthog, with switches to spare...and still I use it for typing stuff, like Salvo changes,Auto Pilot speed changes, returning salutes, and a number of other functions. Like Fugitive also mentioned...ask away and someone will get back with a response...usually like 5 or 6 answers  :D Only stupid question is the one that doesnt get asked  :aok
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 10:37:25 AM »
I'm still using the hat combined with the Rift S. The 90 degree fov is limited by your cervical anatomy! So I'll use pretty much just the left and right parts of the hat to extend fov a little, which is enough. If there was one thing I'd change about VR it'd be the option to scale the views as with the TIR I switched from. 1:1 is cool but it's quite an effort craning around for an hours at a time session. Might not be bad if I were standing but from the seated position it's tough for extended periods even in an office chair.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline evilseed

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 04:51:00 PM »
Call Sign "evilseed"
VR Gear - Oculus Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS
Pc info - GPU - Gigabyte GTX1650 4GB, CPU Core i7-3770K 3500ghz, Fatal1ty P67 Pro mainboard (PCIE 2.0) , 32GB Ram, 1TB SSD (separate 128GB system SSD)

I also get a "below the Oculus minimum recommended" warning, but Aces High works fine.

I've played sims for 20 years, played AH2 for a few years with a head tracker, and AH3 for a few months before switching to VR.  VR has improved my deflection shots, NOE/treetop flying, and judging E-states, closure rates, etc, as I have a much more precise sense of where everything is and is going.  FOV and fatigue from 1-to-1 head movement is solved via left and right view hat, e.g. hat left and look 90 degrees left = check six.

-ES

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 07:20:36 PM »
Call Sign "DaddyAce"
VR Gear - Oculus Rift that I use  with CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle & Pro Pedals
Pc info - GPU - Geforce AORUS GTX 1080 11gb, CPU i5 7600K, 8gb Ram, 500GB ssd, but AH3  currently installed on HDD (as recomended by Skuzzy)

I love VR for all the reasons stated by evilseed and others.  I have not yet talken the time to install Voice Attack, whcih I think would help a lot with some of my VR issues, like view of the keyboard, unless I remove the VR headset.  Negatives for me especially being an old guy with arthritis, is that the smaller field of view compared with TrackIR makes it harded for me to see threats from behind my 3-9 line...I compensate up for some of this by use of hat switch as some have said.  Also, unlike Fugi, I transitioned easily, for me from TrackIR.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 06:46:22 PM »
Minor correction on my specs, GPU has8 GB, not 11 GB video RAM.

Offline OldMeat

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2019, 11:35:50 AM »
 :airplane:
Does anyone know if a Oculus GO, will work with Aces High.

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2019, 02:49:07 PM »
:airplane:
Does anyone know if a Oculus GO, will work with Aces High.

It will not