Author Topic: Loss of Vox and associated audio  (Read 811 times)

Offline dallash

• Zinc Member
Loss of Vox and associated audio
« on: September 09, 2019, 04:24:06 PM »
A friend of mine lost the ability to send or hear Vox at all over the weekend. He talked to HiTech, and they thought it might be his firewall, which we turned off, then uninstalled to no avail.

Then, we reinstalled the entire game (appwiz.cpl uninstall/reinstall) and the same thing exists. His squad Vox should be T and local vox F11. Not only can he not hear squadmates or anyone local, when he hits either the T key or F11 on his keyboard (I verified the mappings), it doesn't even make a beep like he is trying to transmit. I just find it bizarre that he can't hear anyone on squad or local. And the top three boxes under "voice" are checked like they always have been,

All other game sounds work just fine.

Any thoughts?

Also, I checked his Windows mic and sound, and all was good. I even called him using FB messenger and all was good there.

Thanks in advance,

Dallas

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Loss of Vox and associated audio
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 01:14:23 AM »
Windows 10: In Settings>Privacy check any disallowed settings and either allow AH if it's listed or allow all in any given category (default) if it even vaguely might affect Vox. Go one at a time and keep score of what you've done.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline dallash

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 04:55:04 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion, but just the 4 slider bars turned on as usual in there.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 06:21:50 AM »
Did you try the new game installation without the old settings folder?

Is this Win 10? It sounds like the problems Win 10 causes when it updates. Did you reboot a few times?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 07:46:18 AM »
---Did you reboot a few times?
Did you click Shut down while pressing Shift, and then starting normally again?
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 05:52:36 PM »
Sounds like a Windows virus to me. When you start the computer does it say "starting windows" or something like that?

I'm guessing that if you installed Linux the problem might go away, or it might actually get worse depending on the hardware.

//Sarcasm off

I actually I had a similar issue when I updated my ACL on my firewall that was on my router. The only thing that sounds different was I could xmit but I couldn't hear. I can't remember the port but I recall having to open a port that was not located on the PC. Maybe it's something along the route and not on the local box?

Offline dallash

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 06:45:15 AM »
Meh, the box is clean as a whistle. I am going to try blowing away the settings folder. I preserved it on my first uninstall/reinstall. I mean, he can't even make an audio beep on any nearby players' Vox. Both range and squad chat.It's like ther is a hidden button somewhere that says "disable all VOX".

D

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 05:05:37 PM »
Please do share the result when you get it figured out.

Offline dallash

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 07:59:50 AM »
Will do. I am going to do an uninstall/reinstall but blowing away the settings folder this time, as per the suggestion above.

D

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 08:09:39 AM »
Will do. I am going to do an uninstall/reinstall but blowing away the settings folder this time, as per the suggestion above.

D
Don't throw it away. Just rename it. If you can get it working with a clean reinstall, sending the renamed folder to HiTech might help preventing that issue in future updates.

Kotisivuni

Offline dallash

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 03:46:04 PM »
I just now realized while reinstalling, that it removes the "settings" folder when you uninstall. I have a saved copy of the settings folder from the first uninstall, but reinstalling last time didn't help. I am not holding out much hope for this time. I can at least put his original settings folder back after I am done.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 04:16:15 PM »
Since the settings aren't saved with an uninstall, be sure to check the selected sound device in AH sound settings.

Offline shady

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 09:57:03 PM »
Same thing happened to me today. I cant figure it out.

Offline shady

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 10:58:33 PM »
Fixed my issue by restarting modem.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 08:01:21 AM »
It's a good idea to restart modems and routers occasionally to avoid errors.  :aok