Author Topic: Two Country Sides or Auto Kick inactive players in the tower  (Read 8837 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Two Country Sides or Auto Kick inactive players in the tower
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2019, 12:25:21 PM »

<Shug>. In 1999 he told me HTC would never work on another game besides Aces High.

Times change.  Situations change.  Markets change.

Life is change.

To me he didnt work on another game. He made a small map, adjusted some of the setting and added his AI guys and called it a different name. Same game, just dumbed down in some areas.

I agree times change and that is probably HTCs biggest problem is they havent kept up with those changes so have lost more and more players along the way. Again the past is the past, It most likely is never going to come back and we need changes here to bring in and keep new players. The game it self is fine, the way it works with the player is the thing that needs to be brought up to date.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2019, 12:57:02 PM »
[edit]

Nevermind.

On second thought, I don't think I really even care.

:cool:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 01:04:14 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2019, 01:54:39 PM »
How many times do I have to explain this?

It is not an MA.    It does not have the same settings.   It cannot be directly compared.   

And if you wanna’ go that route, we have a three-sided arena that’s often near-empty which ain’t exactly proof of success.   (It also serves as a default two-sided arena much of the time, with one country ignored by the other two.    You have a two-sided arena masquerading as a three-sided one.)

People gravitate to critical mass.    If they don’t find it they log off.   Simple.

a two sided arena will have even bigger eny issues than now.  you keep saying that in a 3 sided arena 2 countries will horde the other.  and at the same time 1 country gets ignored.

so which one is it?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2019, 03:24:04 PM »

a two sided arena will have even bigger eny issues than now.  you keep saying that in a 3 sided arena 2 countries will horde the other.  and at the same time 1 country gets ignored.

so which one is it?

semp

It's neither.  I reject your assertion(s).

As it stands a third of the player base can be completely ignored and we STILL have ENY problems.    So, if that same dynamic remains with two sides (it absolutely won't) at least EVERYONE can be involved in the war.   

With two sides I can actually fight the horde rather than being stuck across the map fighting only auto flak *and* boredom as it often is with three.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 04:22:34 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2019, 03:38:07 PM »
I reject your terms.

Terms? .... pfffft.

ENY isn't the problem. Player stubbornness may well be, though, whether its 50 players or 500. Chess piece loyalty is just silly.

(Side switching actually becomes *more* necessary with low population. I would agree on side switch time reduction - even with higher population.)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 03:50:58 PM by Arlo »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2019, 03:50:01 PM »

ENY isn't the problem. Player stubbornness may well be, though, whether its 50 players or 500. Chess piece loyalty is just silly.

You can say that again.   
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2019, 04:07:41 PM »
We should have four countries.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2019, 04:21:34 PM »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2019, 05:47:01 PM »
I nominate viraciu as the "chosen one" he can save ah all by himself.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2019, 06:27:46 PM »
We should have four countries.

Spades, Hearts, Clubs, Diamonds.

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2019, 07:22:39 PM »
It's neither.  I reject your assertion(s).

As it stands a third of the player base can be completely ignored and we STILL have ENY problems.    So, if that same dynamic remains with two sides (it absolutely won't) at least EVERYONE can be involved in the war.   

With two sides I can actually fight the horde rather than being stuck across the map fighting only auto flak *and* boredom as it often is with three.
At the risk of being zotted for cross game comparison.

How does WW2 online do with just 2 sides axis/allies? They don't have an eny system I believe, but use a spawn/join delay when sides are  out of balance.

AH has an axis/allies setup for special events, maybe it could be used as a test bed of sorts. 

Just throwing things at the wall.
Ground Pounders ...

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2019, 08:25:06 PM »
I nominate viraciu as the "chosen one" he can save ah all by himself.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

semp

That’s the first wise suggestion you’ve made in a long time...

:banana:
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2019, 08:27:01 PM »
At the risk of being zotted for cross game comparison.

How does WW2 online do with just 2 sides axis/allies? They don't have an eny system I believe, but use a spawn/join delay when sides are  out of balance.

AH has an axis/allies setup for special events, maybe it could be used as a test bed of sorts. 

Just throwing things at the wall.

Interesting thoughts...

That creative thinking regarding balance should be encouraged. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2019, 11:15:11 PM »
I think smaller maps would be a big help if we are going to keep three sides.

Smaller maps, as Vraciu and many others have suggested.  And closer distances between bases, as AvA people know.  Ack-ack is right, AW flourished with good fights even if you had only 20-30 people online.  But the bases were close, and there were only a few bases that could be captured - not the whole frigging map.  Some things that contributed to that success - age of the players, individual concepts of what they were there for - may not be reproducible.  AH's emphasis on base taking was an obvious change of focus, but the AW relaxed realism people enjoyed that aspect of the game, and they were the majority of players.

Move the bases closer.  Maybe restrict the rotation to the smaller maps.

- oldman (remind me...could you even "win the map" in AW?) (I don't remember that, but it was some years ago...)

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2019, 11:26:13 PM »
It’s both and none at the same time. This evening Saturday about 9pm est. both bish and nots were attacking the rooks. Rooks had about 30 guys bish had 50 and nits had 30. So it’s 80 to 30. Guess what most did?  They either went to gvs or logged off. Now fugi was on the bish let’s ask him a question.
Fugi was it fun flying for 2 hrs looking for a fight?  No fun intended. It’s not to me.

Now Friday night the nits and bish had a raging fight going on most of the night. There was no way for me to get to that fight with out switching sides. Rooks took some bases but for the most part it was fighting ground guns and wirbs.

That’s both and none described above. And unfortunately there is no way to control how people play but it’s killing the game. Like capt trip said what regulates side balance in a 3 way war?  As described adobe there was a huge imbalance of players. As rooks logged of eny for bish went up a lil but honestly what’s the difference in fighting 25 spits 5 and 5 b17s when there are only 5 guys from the other sides upping to defend against them?