Author Topic: Heritage Flight Museum Me 262  (Read 2980 times)

Offline donna43

• Copper Member
Heritage Flight Museum Me 262
« on: September 28, 2019, 12:41:43 PM »
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 12:44:39 PM by donna43 »
DrPhloxx

Age is strictly a case of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
Re: Heritage Flight Museum Me 262
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 01:22:09 PM »
It sounds completely different from what I expected. Maybe HTC should add the starter-motor sound to the game?

Offline donna43

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 02:02:46 PM »
 :aok.     The live feed said Jumo 004B  YouTube video 112's.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 02:04:23 PM by donna43 »
DrPhloxx

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 02:28:00 PM »
It sounds completely different from what I expected. Maybe HTC should add the starter-motor sound to the game?

The Riedel two stroke starter motor had a pull start in the nose of the engine and used the same fuel as the jet.

Hitech could just record a lawn mower.   :D

Offline donna43

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 03:03:17 PM »
The Riedel two stroke starter motor had a pull start in the nose of the engine and used the same fuel as the jet.

Hitech could just record a lawn mower.   :D

Or a weedeatter. :D
DrPhloxx

Offline donna43

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 09:15:05 PM »
Longer video of above video on Heritage Flight and Armor Museum on their Face Book page.
DrPhloxx

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 01:39:37 AM »
Wow, that's a 1991 Honda CR250 two stroke spinning up that engine !
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 08:09:54 AM »
We only get eight seconds of audio to start an engine as is! How much of that do you think you will get to hear?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 12:10:40 PM »
Love the paint job...cough, cough.... devil505

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 01:39:32 PM »
Love the paint job...cough, cough.... devil505

Yeah, too bad they did not do their research before painting that bird. That scheme is from an unarmed recon version.

"Messerschmitt Me 262A-1a/U3 (Wk. Nr. 500453), coded "White 25", reconnaissance version modified with bulges on the nose to accommodate film magazines for two Rb 20/30 cameras.  U3 (Umrüst-Bausatz 3, Factory Modification Kit No. 3). "

From http://silverhawkauthor.com/axis-warplane-survivors-german-aircraft-part-iv-messerschmitt-me-262-to-siebel-si-204_567.html
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 03:34:06 PM »
Yeah, too bad they did not do their research before painting that bird. That scheme is from an unarmed recon version.

(Image removed from quote.)

"Messerschmitt Me 262A-1a/U3 (Wk. Nr. 500453), coded "White 25", reconnaissance version modified with bulges on the nose to accommodate film magazines for two Rb 20/30 cameras.  U3 (Umrüst-Bausatz 3, Factory Modification Kit No. 3). "

From http://silverhawkauthor.com/axis-warplane-survivors-german-aircraft-part-iv-messerschmitt-me-262-to-siebel-si-204_567.html

They thought it looks cool?  Silliness aside, I doubt many are going to huff all over them about it.  Just looking at the photo you provided and what they have done shows errors galore though.  In all honesty, it looks like they just took a green spray can and "went to town" on her when compared to the photo.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 05:37:53 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Devil, they used that scheme as that's that actual airframe that was restored.  It just got a fighter nose instead of the recce.  It's an old Watson's Whizzers bird that came home with the USAAF.  So actually their research was spot on :)    I remember reading that they swapped noses on some of the birds for testing.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 05:39:39 PM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 05:45:26 PM »
Found this to explain it.  They swapped out the nose to making more streamlined for testing against the P-80

"Photo-reconnaissance variant, named 'Connie the Sharp Article' and then 'Pick II'.  Aircraft of Lt Roy W. Brown.  Shipped to the USA aboard the HMS Reaper.  Ferried from Newark to Pittsburgh and then to Freeman Field on 19 August 1945 by Col Harold Watson.  Became 'FE-4012'.  This aircraft had a fighter nose substituted for the bulged reconnaissance version after arrival in the US.  It is now at the Planes of Fame Museum at Chino in California wearing the incorrect W Nr 111617.

This aircraft was surrendered to US Forces at Lechfeld and was named Connie the Sharp Article, with the number '444'. It was later re-named Pick Il by Watson's Whizzers. It came to the USA aboard HMS Reaper and was flown from Newark to Freeman Field IV Col Watson on 19th August 1945. While at Freeman Field it was reconditioned and given an overall smooth finish for performance comparison with the Lockheed P-80. This process almost certainly involved the removal of its photo-reconnaissance-type nose and its replacement by a fighter-type nose without camera bulges. On about 17th May 1946 Col Watson flew the aircraft to Patterson Field for the start of this series of trials. It was flown at Patterson and Wright Fields on test work for 4 hours and 40 minutes (8 flights), being flyable at Wright Field in August 1946. Flight trials were discontinued after four engine changes were required during the course of the tests, culminating in two single-engine landings.

It was later handed over to the Hughes Aircraft Company. Howard Hughes proposed to enter the aircraft in air races in competition with USAF P-80s but this was officially frowned upon and the proposal was cancelled. The '262 had, in the meantime, been shipped to Hughes at Culver City, Ca, and was assembled and the engines run, but it was not flown by the Hughes company.

The '262 was disposed of to the Glendale Aeronautical School for use as an instructional airframe, until, after some years it was acquired by Edward T. Maloney for his Air Museum at Ontario, California. FE-4012 is currently with the Museum at Chino Airfield, California, marked as W Nr 111617, which is incorrect, the color scheme being copied from the original 111617, which was scrapped on a dump near Munich at the end of the war."

The last info is prior to Flying Heritage doing their restoration.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 06:52:50 PM »
Devil, they used that scheme as that's that actual airframe that was restored.  It just got a fighter nose instead of the recce.  It's an old Watson's Whizzers bird that came home with the USAAF.  So actually their research was spot on :)    I remember reading that they swapped noses on some of the birds for testing.

In that case, it makes sense - kinda. Probably not many, if any, photos of the plane in testing with a gun nose, but is still rings disingenuous to me for them to paint it up as it's war-time photo recon configuration when it now has a fighter nose.

Maybe I'm being nit-picky.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 09:14:54 PM »
I’d imagine that an original recce nose would be hard to find. I’d rather it fly with an original nose than a fabricated recce nose.  I also think going with it’s wartime paint is the right way to go.  Of course if the original nose can be found I’d want them to use it, but at best it’s buried at Freeman Field and at worst was scrapped.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters