Author Topic: Never know what you're gonna find......  (Read 1504 times)

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
Never know what you're gonna find......
« on: October 18, 2019, 11:42:32 PM »

Was cleaning out some stuff and ran across a case of CD's and DVD's.
Back in the early 2000's it was a habit of mine to burn programs and other things on a CD just in case the system
crashed so I could reload everything if needed.
Found several with early versions of Aces High and Aces High II. 
One was AH 1092, the others were AH 2018 and 2021.
Made me wish I could install them on a current machine and just look at things.  Honestly,
I would love to install them and just goof around in the older arenas. 
Anyone else find versions of AH from way back when on older machines or other media, or is it just me?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Never know what you're gonna find......
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 02:37:54 AM »
I've got some as well, both on hard disks and CD's. That includes early versions of what evolved to the Karelia map.

You might be able to run them even on a Win10 machine by using the compatibility settings. Simply right click the .exe and choose something like XP or even 98 mode to run it. Admin mode may also be required. You may need to do the same for the installing as well.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 08:48:38 AM »
What exactly is the problem/error trying to run the old versions?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 09:15:49 AM »
It depends.

In general, 8 or 16 bit programs don't tend to run on modern 64 bit capable hardware due to security reasons. With AH that should not be an issue, though. However, with older versions of AH the differences between DirectX generations may be the biggest problem. You never know before you try.

I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 09:36:21 AM »
Heh.

For their 20th Anniversary, HTC should set up a side server and a download for version 1.0 and allow people to play it for a month.   :rofl

Those were amazingly fun times.  And we had so little back then.  Not 1/10 the features and planes we have now, but every week was like Christmas morning.  You never new what new things Hitech will have added when you logged in.  It was like something new or changed every week.  It felt like a living, grow thing.    And all the new people pouring in from other sims daily.   Ahhh the good old days.

You won't remember me, but I think we met at a Con in 2001(?).  I used to fly as AKWabbit.  Didn't you have a computer with a glass see-though case and all lit up with neon from the inside?  I remember being impressed by that at the time.  I had never seen one like that.  Unless I am just manufacturing that memory.   :D

:rofl
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 12:19:45 PM »
I remember AKWabbit very well.  Way back when, seems we flew against one another a lot.
Yeah, I know, I'm just reminiscing, but I do miss those days.  Like you said, we didn't have a lot compared to the
current version, but it was, for me at least, more fun.
I wish HTC would set up a server or arena with the old style terrains (fewer trees and such), the old icon settings
(equidistant for everyone) and just see what happens.  Some might like it better, some would definitely hate it, but
a blast from the past arena might revive a small part of the game.
I'd definitely play there as much as I could.
PS--Next time I get down to see my son (he lives in Anna, TX) maybe we could get together, CaptTrips (AKWabbit)?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 12:31:50 PM »
we didn't have a lot compared to the
current version, but it was, for me at least, more fun.
Not to mention that we were younger and had much less to fill our spare time with!  :salute

Kotisivuni

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 12:55:09 PM »
Not to mention that we were younger and had much less to fill our spare time with!  :salute

..... slimmer, better looking.........
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 01:00:53 PM »
PS--Next time I get down to see my son (he lives in Anna, TX) maybe we could get together, CaptTrips (AKWabbit)?

PM me if your going to be down here. I'm in the Coppell area.  Maybe we could meet around Mckinny.

:salute
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 01:04:09 PM »
Next summer a bunch of us old farts should drag RVs to New Braunfels for a week.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 01:13:41 PM »
Next summer a bunch of us old farts should drag RVs to New Braunfels for a week.

PM me if you get something going.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 01:16:05 PM »
And it wouldn't take up hardly any space.....

Beta was what? 12 MBs iirc and live version was little over 14 MBs

My initial flight, in AH was late Oct. 99 and only 5 others were online that day.... HT, Pyro, NB, Lonz and Nomde.... I couldn't get TC as my gameid in beta someone had already grabbed it, so I used TequilaC to start with but Nomde texted "TC, is that you?" and I told him yep....

Bet I crashed 5 times straight, because then when you was in the tower, you actually walked to the hangar to get your plane choice and had to taxi from the hangar to the runway just to take-off.....

Sweet Memories
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 01:32:56 PM »
Sweet Memories

Yep.  A lot of you guys had your big memories in AW or Warbirds.  For me, AH from mid-Beta to around 2004 were the best years of sim'ing I ever knew. It felt like being part of something brand new, dynamic and growing at an incredible pace.  New features and new aircraft being introduced at a dizzying rate.  Change, change, change.  Weekly, daily. 

And new players showing up daily.  I swear, it felt like you had 5 new players a day join.  And big waves of refugees from FA and AW. 

500-700 players a night.  Completely fill one LW arena and spill over to another.  Even the overflow arena had more players than we have now and I used to threaten to quit if I kept getting sent over the the "little" arena.   :rofl

It was a Brave New World!  Glad I was there to see it during that time.

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2019, 02:56:13 PM »
It depends.

In general, 8 or 16 bit programs don't tend to run on modern 64 bit capable hardware due to security reasons. With AH that should not be an issue, though. However, with older versions of AH the differences between DirectX generations may be the biggest problem. You never know before you try.

I was asking eddiek. It would go a long way to get some sort of specific error feedback/etc so I know what can be applied to potentially fix it. I've got some experience fixing some old games using proxy dll's and stuff like that. The compatibility stuff in windows rarely/barely works most of the time.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2019, 03:03:50 AM »
I was asking eddiek. It would go a long way to get some sort of specific error feedback/etc so I know what can be applied to potentially fix it. I've got some experience fixing some old games using proxy dll's and stuff like that. The compatibility stuff in windows rarely/barely works most of the time.
Oh, sorry, again a proof of misunderstanding a simple sentence in a foreign language.

Good to know about your knowledge in old programs compatibility issues.  :salute

Kotisivuni