Author Topic: MIDWAY - the movie  (Read 6886 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: MIDWAY - the movie
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2019, 06:36:43 AM »
They shoulda’ changed the name, then.    There can only be one MIDWAY and that’s 1976.   Any other is a pretender to the throne.   :old:

This comes from a guy who takes his in-game name from a historical WW2 pilot. There can only be one ACHOO!! :old:

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2019, 07:15:36 AM »
This comes from a guy who takes his in-game name from a historical WW2 pilot. There can only be one ACHOO!! :old:

He was my friend.   Don't be jealous.  Not just anyone can have an ironic name like Max.   :banana:

#Burn

:banana:
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2019, 09:15:37 AM »

Good point!  :aok

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2019, 10:31:49 AM »
He was my friend.   Don't be jealous.  Not just anyone can have an ironic name like Max.   :banana:

#Burn

"Any other is a pretender. . ."

My point is exactly what yours is. The new Midway is not trying to outdo or emulate the first, it is simply a movie about the Battle of Midway. Just as you, Vraciu, are not trying to emulate or outdo the first Vraciu. If you are trying to emulate Vraciu and the movie is an attempt to emulate Midway 1976, then my point is invalid, but then the movie is doing is exactly what you are.

The more grand point to my statement is that using the old 1976 movie as a baseline to judge this film is erroneous. Because the movies are not connected (only by subject), we cannot judge them, based on each other. Instead, judge the movie for what it is, then compare it to previous films about WW2, not just Midway. How does this film compare to Pearl Harbor, Dunkirk, Redtails (recent WW2 aviation films). How does it compare to older WW2 films like Midway, Tora! Tora! Tora!, Battle of Britain. How about aviation films between these such as Tuskegee Airmen and Memphis Belle? Essentially, you should critique the movie based on what you see, not on what you have seen. It is fine to compare, but to say "this movie is not as good as 1976 Midway therefore it sucks," is biased, subjective, and displays an extreme lack of academic discipline.

It is akin to judging a sports team's performance against that of another based on similar opponents (e.g. Georgia lost to South Carolina and South Carolina lost to App State, therefore App State is better than Georgia). There are WAY too many variables to consider and it is not just black and white. Or judging one general's genius based on another's. Whoever you claim is the greatest general of all time, it can be argued against using anachronism; this is unfair, which wraps up my point.

For what it is worth, I have not seen the film. I thought it looked very cheesy in the previews and more like a Pearl Harbor 2.0 than an academic film about the Battle of Midway. Unfairly, I am a harsh critic of films about history because I expect them to get it right. My thing is, we know what happened so how in the world can you f*** it up? It is just baffling. The answer, of course, is people need to be entertained or no money is made. There is not much entertainment to the general population in a movie about Alexander which features a lot of drinking, killing, and mindblowing battlefield tactics and intuition. Instead, we need hints of homosexuality (but not full on homosexuality?), a LOT of time spent dealing with Alexander's misgivings with his powerful generals, and a ridiculous backstory about Olympias of Epirus. These are the types of movies that have contributed to making me so cynical in dealing with the historical film genre.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 10:47:03 AM by perdue3 »
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2019, 02:20:03 PM »
I thought Ben Afflek was going to somehow make an appearance and win the war for us again...

AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2019, 03:13:38 PM »

#Burn

Short for Maximus Decimus Meridius  :cheers: Being that we're buds, you can call me Spaniard  :devil
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 05:22:39 PM by Max »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2019, 05:36:39 PM »
Short for Maximus Decimus Meridius  :cheers: Being that we're buds, you can call me Spaniard  :devil

I'll call you Nuthin'-But-Trouble.    :banana:
”KILLER V”

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2019, 10:57:50 PM »
I'll call you Nuthin'-But-Trouble.    :banana:
A Cracktologist?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2019, 11:17:17 PM »
”KILLER V”

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2019, 01:43:30 AM »
Its not going to bring any new players to the game. :old:

Is it going to be like Pearl Harbour.

Its..... not going to  be historical or depict the Japanese as savages.

The japanese to this day think they were victims even after committing atrocities in China.
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline amp

• Zinc Member
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2019, 04:24:35 PM »
have you said it three times yet Max??   :bolt:

:noid :rock :bolt:

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2019, 04:52:27 PM »
When are you coming back Middy? Your mighty Spit 8 awaits you!!! :salute

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2019, 06:41:18 PM »
When are you coming back Middy? Your mighty Spit 8 awaits you!!! :salute

Hope he comes back.   I love out rating him in my Mustang and watching the excuses flow on 200. 
”KILLER V”

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2019, 06:04:24 PM »
Just saw it!

Have to say, I was very happy with it! Lots of action. Not a lot of downtime. It wasn't too cheesy. Great graphics. Really shows how brave those guys were. How unforgiving war is with unexpected deaths. Not too much lovey dovey drama. I was on the edge of my seat most of the time. Only gripe is I wish it would have shown more fighter combat with US v Jap fighters.

That ship ack is brutal.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2019, 06:29:36 AM »
I enjoyed it yesterday.

Glaring issue for me was the Devastator payloads, I knew I was going to see something that didn't jive. But I survived that too. ;)

Other than that, great flick. Film focuses more on the Enterprise than say Yorktown or Hornet, which I thought was kind of crappy. You get to see Yorktown at Pearl under repair, then burning from the bridge of the Enterprise. Some over the top scenes, but that's more understandable than historical issues IMO.

Chinese Hollywood is getting good.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!