Author Topic: The future of Aces High is on Facebook  (Read 12375 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
The future of Aces High is on Facebook
« on: November 07, 2019, 01:04:54 PM »
It reaches more players and former players than the Message Board does.

How can we harness it to help the game?
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Re: The future of Aces High is on Facebook
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 01:05:45 PM »
Not if they refuse to use facebook
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 01:20:01 PM »
I've heard Facebook is nowadays mostly for grandmothers...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 01:20:36 PM »
It reaches more players and former players than the Message Board does.

How can we harness it to help the game?

And I'd heard Facebook was for old farts and that Instagram was in. Or out. Or was it snapchat?

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 01:21:01 PM »
(Pretend) WWII pilots don't use this new fangdangled technology.   :old:

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 01:33:01 PM »
Well, considering the mean age in the MA these days, maybe advertising to old people will yield results.  What they really need to do is get one of the Instagram butt models to mention AH on a regular basis.  That will get exposure.

Wiley.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 01:45:10 PM by Wiley »
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 01:33:11 PM »
Social media buzz in general is good for a game. The more word of mouth the better. I'd really love to get the reddit community going as it is one of the biggest 'communities' in the world, and totally free.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 01:39:04 PM »
Social media buzz in general is good for a game. The more word of mouth the better. I'd really love to get the reddit community going as it is one of the biggest 'communities' in the world, and totally free.
I’m on reddit a ton and would love to help any way I can.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 01:52:34 PM »
I refuse to allow MyFace to make money off of me.   Dumped it years ago.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 02:29:02 PM »
A company would be crazy to ignore FB.  I don't use it, but the number of people who do is staggering.  And not only the breadth, but because the data is structured, ads can be much more precisely targeted than any TV commercial.

How neither FB, nor Reddit, nor standing on a street corner wearing a placard, addresses what I feel the the elephant in the room.  The fundamental failure point. 

According to the last stats I saw Hitech post, conversions rate is "around" 1%.  Something about the player experience is not closing the deal.  Unless you can improve that, you are mostly whizzing in the wind. But it doesn't hurt anything if it uses volunteer effort, but it is the reason it doesn't make sense to throw money at the marketing until you can raise that success rate.  You'd be better off just burning the money to save on heating costs.  ;)

$0.02,
CptTrips

« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 02:40:39 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 02:39:47 PM »
According to the last stats I saw Hitech post, conversions rate is "around" 1%.  Something about the player experience is not closing the deal.  Unless you can improve that, you are mostly whizzing in the wind. But it doesn't hurt anything if it uses volunteer effort, but it is the reason it doesn't make sense to throw money at the marketing until you can raise that success rate.  You'd be better off just burning the money to save on heating costs.  ;)

$0.02,
CptTrips

This.  More advertising does not solve everything.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 03:13:06 PM »
A company would be crazy to ignore FB.  I don't use it, but the number of people who do is staggering.  And not only the breadth, but because the data is structured, ads can be much more precisely targeted than any TV commercial.

Tried it with about $15k in adds, was a dismal failure.

HiTech

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 03:27:56 PM »

HiTech

While that is unfortunate and recall the ads that were ran, I'm not quite certain that's what is needed. Communities and groups need regular content to discuss or even better themselves in the game. There is literally a Facebook Group or Page for everything, and for me personally, I really feel like the groups and pages are/have the best content on Facebook.

I guess, I too, am not with the times with reddit. Perhaps I should check it out.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 03:29:34 PM »

HiTech

Yeah, I've heard they can be hit or miss. I haven't used FB ads but other ad systems I've used can be VERY sensitive to keyword optimization.  A/B testing... it's a whole freaking science.  Google ads are the same.  You can pour a whole lot of money down the drain fast if you don't do it right.  Not my area of expertise.

What was the failure?  No clicks?  Clicks but no downloads?  Download bump but no conversion?

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 03:54:25 PM »

How neither FB, nor Reddit, nor standing on a street corner wearing a placard, addresses what I feel the the elephant in the room.  The fundamental failure point. 

According to the last stats I saw Hitech post, conversions rate is "around" 1%.  Something about the player experience is not closing the deal. Unless you can improve that, you are mostly whizzing in the wind. But it doesn't hurt anything if it uses volunteer effort, but it is the reason it doesn't make sense to throw money at the marketing until you can raise that success rate.  You'd be better off just burning the money to save on heating costs.  ;)

$0.02,
CptTrips

That might be where social media could help the most. If more and more player are posting of how tough it is to learn and those things that can help get over that hump, maybe it could temper the frustration new players feel when they log in.