Author Topic: Midway 2019  (Read 1130 times)

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
Re: Midway 2019
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 04:49:08 AM »
For me the new Midway was just a laid back entertainment, nothing special. One of those movies that are fun to watch, but forget everything about it after leaving the cinema. Really seemed like someone from China came with bags of money, sat down with the director to watch the older Midway and told the American side what they want excluded and included. So Pearl Harbor plus Doolittle raid took about first 50% of movie time with some main character squad activities alongside and after that the focus shifted mainly on Midway battle.

If I did not know anything about the history I would think this is a movie based on a video game because they do some pretty wild stunts like deadstick carrier landing and tail gunners in this movie are a deadly force. I found dogfighting really lackluster as well, usually seemed like gentle side to side weaving as Zeros and tailgunners exchanged fire. Would have been cool to see some basic teamwork like using radio and one guy dragging two enemies below forward climbing friendly etc.

For me the 1976 Midway was super in creating suspense and keeping it and everything it lacked (like proper dogfight) was filled with my own imagination.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 04:55:45 AM by asterix »
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2019, 08:27:52 AM »
Yeah, that Devastator bomb load was great attention to detail, huh?   :
 :banana:

Not sure what you're talking about. All of the Devastator scenes were torpedo attacks, which they showed the loadout of a single Mark 13. They even covered all the problems the Mark 13 had at the beginning of the war (both through Best's dialogue, and SEEING Lindsey's torpedo fail to detonate during the Marshalls raids). And the Dauntlesses were all carrying either 500lbers or 1000lbers on the centerline, with the 250lbers on the wing pylons.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2019, 11:14:33 AM »
Not sure what you're talking about. All of the Devastator scenes were torpedo attacks, which they showed the loadout of a single Mark 13. They even covered all the problems the Mark 13 had at the beginning of the war (both through Best's dialogue, and SEEING Lindsey's torpedo fail to detonate during the Marshalls raids). And the Dauntlesses were all carrying either 500lbers or 1000lbers on the centerline, with the 250lbers on the wing pylons.

He's right, The Devastators were shown with external bombs AND Torpedos in some scenes. It was probably the most glaring goof in the movie.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2019, 12:58:40 PM »
He's right, The Devastators were shown with external bombs AND Torpedos in some scenes. It was probably the most glaring goof in the movie.

:salute :cheers:
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2019, 02:30:23 PM »
I'm just glad John Wayne got those torpedos fixed.  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2019, 03:07:29 PM »
The most important thing the 70's version of Midway had as opposed to this new one.  Actors.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2019, 04:30:55 PM »
Y'all have to realize that the original Midway was produced at a much different time in American history. Today's movies and 'culture' are different. Mostly everything coming out of Hollywood today is remakes and sequels. Nothing has the same hype like it did back then when going to the movies was a big deal. For them to make this movie with very little cheesy drama fall asleep build up crap, and put a lot of action and battles into it throughout the movie, I think was a good idea. I don't expect these people to get every planes ord correct. Only .01% of the people would know that. Most of it is just for optics. I am just happy that they made a real movie with a good story that was awesome on the big screen.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2019, 05:18:01 PM »
The most important thing the 70's version of Midway had as opposed to this new one.  Actors.

:rofl :rofl :rofl :aok
”KILLER V”

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2019, 05:22:50 PM »
I'm just glad John Wayne got those torpedos fixed.  :D

"I'll be looking forward to that stateside wing ding."  :banana:

. . .

"Keep your hands off that damned electric arming switch!  Use manual control.   Use manual control."

"Too late, Commander Leslie."

"Mine dropped, too."

"Rotten gadget.  Who the hell invented the electric arming switch?"

"Yamamoto, who the hell do ya' think?  Now what are we gonna do, drop spitballs on the Japs?"

"All right, knock it off!  The rest of you use manual control.    This is Helen Leader, out."

:D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 05:40:34 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2019, 06:05:51 PM »

Bingo
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2019, 06:08:11 PM »
"I'll be looking forward to that stateside wing ding."  :banana:

. . .

"Keep your hands off that damned electric arming switch!  Use manual control.   Use manual control."

"Too late, Commander Leslie."

"Mine dropped, too."

"Rotten gadget.  Who the hell invented the electric arming switch?"

"Yamamoto, who the hell do ya' think?  Now what are we gonna do, drop spitballs on the Japs?"

"All right, knock it off!  The rest of you use manual control.    This is Helen Leader, out."

:D

That makes my head itch.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2019, 07:40:03 PM »
That makes my head itch.

"Skipper? Take a look at [Erik Estrada] up here."
”KILLER V”