Author Topic: Image overlay for TE  (Read 468 times)

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
Image overlay for TE
« on: November 17, 2019, 01:59:41 AM »
My wish is for an image overlay in the TE to help us bring sketched terrains to life.

This image would overlay the grid according to the clipboard map image in the top down position only. It would make a lot easier on us.

:salute
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: Image overlay for TE
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 04:25:29 AM »
Convert your sketch into a splat map and install it.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 08:30:30 AM »
will that work for a virgin map with no land?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 09:53:47 AM »
The splat map, as far as I understand, only works if you have terrain at an elevation greater than 0. I am looking for something along the lines of an overlay that stays stationary allowing me to raise the land based on a drawn design.  see the attached image as an example:

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 04:04:34 PM »
I create my terrain in paint.net as a multi layered bmp file so I have elevations. I do it first in colors to keep track of the elevations while mapping everything to 8pixel=1mile. Then I bring those layers into Krita as 16bit grayscale png where sea level is 1000 grayscale and max elevation 33000 grayscale. When I have converted my color layers into grayscale by copying from paint.net and pasting into Krita, I flatten the image and export as a krita 16r. I rename the extension to RAW and import into ImageJ where I export it as an unsigned RAW. The terrain editor recognizes that format and pops me up a terrain.

After that I make the map file and if needed add a layer from the original png or bmp blueprint to keep my terrain features on track like river valleys and canyons as I work the elevations. Cranked out fjordma in 4 months because of that.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 04:40:04 PM »
I can create raw files all day long and import them in to the TE. That's not an issue and no lesson is needed there.

I am simply asking for an image over that can be toggled in or off in the same manner that the grid can be toggled on and off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk