Author Topic: Setting Up VR  (Read 3136 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Setting Up VR
« on: November 22, 2019, 07:25:46 PM »
Hey all, long time, no see.

So...Is there a trick to actually getting VR to work? I recently picked up a Pimax 4k (yes, I'm a generation behind, but it was the highest-resolution set my video card can do). I've got Pitools installed, and the headset is detected by the PC. When I launch Aces High from Pitools I get a prompt asking if I want to use my Oculus, so the game appears to see it. Then....nothing. Nothing ever loads. AH is in the task bar, but I never get a window on my monitor, and I never get anything on my headset but the default idle screen. When adding the game to Pitools I selected the AcesHigh11 executable.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Setting Up VR
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 07:33:13 PM »
I'm using a Rift S. When I launch the game from within the oculus software with the headset on I don't even get the prompt....in the headset. It just sits there just like you're describing. The prompt is on my monitor! I have to click yes with my mouse first and THEN AH will show up in the headset. I know it sounds silly but have you tried that?

When launching the game from the desktop you'll still have to click that dialog box before it'll go to the headset.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 07:44:03 PM »
When I launch Aces High from Pitools I get a prompt asking if I want to use my Oculus, so the game appears to see it.

Yes, I see the prompt. Yes, I click it.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 07:49:21 PM »
How about try running AH from the desktop. You'll get the same prompt. Click yes and put the headset on. See if that gets it.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 07:50:53 PM »
I don't. If I run direct from desktop it just loads the game with no prompt for VR.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 07:53:10 PM »
A Pimax is not an Oculus, Pimax is not perfectly compatible with the oculus software. You're probably best asking the pimax people (or forums). As Oculus software gets updated you may find this a continuing problem.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 07:57:20 PM »
I think that's odd. AH is supposed to be aware you have VR available, that's why the prompt. I get it whether I have oculus running or not but there are oculus background processes running all the time.

OK try starting your VR software and minimizing it. Now try to open AH on the desktop and see if you get the prompt.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 08:06:33 PM »
A Pimax is not an Oculus, Pimax is not perfectly compatible with the oculus software. You're probably best asking the pimax people (or forums). As Oculus software gets updated you may find this a continuing problem.
Shouldn't AH make use of any VR tho? I was just using how it works on mine which is all oculus. Got no experience with Pimax, really just guessing.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 09:11:16 PM »
I believe you'll need to download SteamVR. When you launch aces high select no on the oculus window, then it will ask if you want to use openVR headset. Select yes.

*Edit- Before installing steamVR, if you select no to using oculus headset does it ask if you want to use your openVR headset?
I think I recall reading somewhere that the 4k wasn't compatible with steamVR,  but that was some time ago so that may have changed.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 09:21:26 PM by Pluto »

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 10:01:09 PM »
I believe you'll need to download SteamVR. When you launch aces high select no on the oculus window, then it will ask if you want to use openVR headset. Select yes.

*Edit- Before installing steamVR, if you select no to using oculus headset does it ask if you want to use your openVR headset?
I think I recall reading somewhere that the 4k wasn't compatible with steamVR,  but that was some time ago so that may have changed.

Ok, I think I needed the SteamVR. I could get the game to launch if I clicked "No" for Oculus and used OpenVR instead, however I couldn't get any controls to work. But everything is working under SteamVR....Ish.

The one problem I ran into is that my view kept slipping out of alignment and I constantly had to reset it. I also don't have the trackers so I don't have 6DOF right now. Gonna have to pick those up.

But...

OH MY GOD I CAN ACTUALLY SEE AGAIN. As the new game versions have been coming out (and...well...getting older might have had a teensy bit to do with it) I've been finding it harder and harder to actually see other planes for gunnery, mostly because of FOV limitations and scaling on a monitor. That's almost all gone now. The resolution on the Pimax 4k isn't as good as my monitor (I have neither the cash nor the hardware for the Pimax 8k...yet) but holy crap is this a major improvement. And I have actual DEPTH PERCEPTION now.

How did we fly with just a flat 2D screen for all of those years?!

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 03:09:55 AM »

:aok this was the case, when i tested an ACER WMV headset! Doesnt hurt to try..pretty sure this wil fix the problem
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 09:56:29 PM »
As I said, launching through SteamVR got it working. Still dealing with two other problems:

1) The headset very quickly gets out of alignment, so I'm constantly having to recenter.
2) SteamVR doesn't show the "Enable Bluetooth" option so I can't pair my Base Station.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2019, 04:45:21 PM »
If you're only using acclerometers and a gyro compass then you will always get drift problems. That's why everyone uses camera based tracking.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2019, 05:08:12 PM »
If you're only using acclerometers and a gyro compass then you will always get drift problems. That's why everyone uses camera based tracking.

I'm also trying to set it up so I can use 6DOF. The problem is SteamVR doesn't even give me the option to enable Bluetooth, so I'm not able to get my Base Station paired.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2019, 05:59:04 PM »
I'm also trying to set it up so I can use 6DOF. The problem is SteamVR doesn't even give me the option to enable Bluetooth, so I'm not able to get my Base Station paired.

Bluetooth would be something you should do in Windows not steam. What kind of bluetooth adapter are you using?