Author Topic: Setting Up VR  (Read 3058 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Setting Up VR
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2019, 09:53:56 AM »
What FLS says will allow you to change head positions but it doesn't help you dial in your views in the headset if you take off the headset while you're adjusting your views. Make sense?

I do it a little differently. You'll have to be able to get at the adjusting and F10 keys on your keyboard while in the headset to do this. Kind of a pain.

CTRL+F5 stops tracking. Now you can adjust to suit. Hit F+10. That view is saved. Do that for the others. I've found it helps. Hit CTRL+F4 to re-enter and you're good to go.

While writing this an inspiration for a new series of voice attack commands popped up! Kills the keyboard problem! Just talk it thru!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2019, 10:02:57 AM »
Here's the thing: I just launched the game with no tracking, and I already HAVE the rear view set to look around the bulkhead (I set it up ages ago before I got TrackIr, apparently it's followed my game across every update over the last 13 years). The problem is turning on head tracking — and this is the case regardless of whether it's TrackIR or the VR headset — overrides the saved view with whatever my tracking position is.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2019, 10:23:10 AM »
Have your reset your views in VR? If not then yeah they'll be what you set them without it. I've found this to be an issue as I've gone from plane to plane in VR where I too had my views "already set up" . It's just a smidge different. Enough to be annoying.

The thing is that you're looking at two slightly offset views in VR vs the single one on the monitor. This is your primary issue and why you have to readjust them. In my case I record and stream sometimes. Using Oculus mirror set up for right eye only it looks like in my recordings that I'm not really looking through the windscreen square unless I offset to look thru the gunsight with my right eye. Thinking I'll adjust my forward view so that when centered I am so it looks right.

Yaknow the LW planes actually have the gunsight slightly offset to the right anyway? Check it out--they're not in the center of the windscreen. They believed your right eye was the dominant eye so that's the reason for it.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2019, 11:08:33 AM »
Here's the thing: I just launched the game with no tracking, and I already HAVE the rear view set to look around the bulkhead (I set it up ages ago before I got TrackIr, apparently it's followed my game across every update over the last 13 years). The problem is turning on head tracking — and this is the case regardless of whether it's TrackIR or the VR headset — overrides the saved view with whatever my tracking position is.

Does tracker center work? Can you move your head and use the center tracker command to change the position?

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2019, 11:46:43 AM »
Does tracker center work? Can you move your head and use the center tracker command to change the position?

Yes, I can recenter the view (I have to frequently because the gyro tracker on the headset will eventually drift as I look around). But the problem is my headset is ONLY yaw and pitch. It has no translation (6dof) so I can't move my head position while tracking is enabled.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2019, 12:02:19 PM »
If you want to move your head position forward, can you lean back, recenter, then sit normally with your head position moved forward from where it was?

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2019, 02:39:06 PM »
BTW Sax, if you haven't heard of it this app is a must for VR. The full version is the best 10 bucks I ever spent of a program! Check it out here:

https://voiceattack.com/

With Voice Attack you can set various commands with your voice rather than by typing, which is quite the challenge in VR to say the least. It works great for general commands but I've found if trying to reply to someone in the buffer it comes out word salad and takes too long to correct. Probably my Mid-Atlantic accent throwing it off! I have the mouse forward and back keys set to enable and disable listening. I have all kinds of stuff set like for running the bomb sight which would be almost impossible otherwise with a VR headset on. Things like the tail hook. Don't fly the blue planes a lot so I just have it set up in VA. I want to drop or raise the hook I just say "Tail Hook" and it's done. I just set up a series of commands for adjusting head position as I described earlier. Thanks for giving me the idea! Super easy! I have buttons mapped to stop and center tracking on my stick and have since I used to use TIR. Simply stop tracking, hit the mouse key so VA is listening. I say "Head Left"--it bumps it left. I say "Head Right"--it bumps it right, etc. When I'm done I say "Save Head Position"--it hits F10 and it's done. No getting out of the headset!
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2019, 03:54:52 PM »
If you want to move your head position forward, can you lean back, recenter, then sit normally with your head position moved forward from where it was?

Like I said several times I have no translation left, right, forward, back, up or down. I can only look left/right or up/down. Leaning back before recentering will do nothing for me.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2019, 06:17:00 PM »
Hm...I wonder if I can use my TIR for translation movement and the headset for rest...

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2019, 07:21:23 PM »
Hm...I wonder if I can use my TIR for translation movement and the headset for rest...
That's a worthy project. Try running them both and see what happens. I saw an article where a guy had done that to play star citizen but it didn't go into detail. There's got to be a way to make that work.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2019, 02:55:40 PM »
Its kind of incredible, that the Primax4k was billed to be :The Next Best Thing in VR. It was designed for 3 DOF ONLY. So unless AH/ or the Program running your headset will run TIR along side it, thats all you can do with it. The RIFT S, is the same price where I looked, thinking the 60k refresh rate and 107 POV ,4 K...suckered some folk. It has ZERO Room Scale and is basically a "Seated Scale Only" headset :uhoh  Amazon has sale on Rift S...349.00 just fyi. On a good NOTE...Drano nailed it, Voice Attack best 10 bucks you will ever spend :rock
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline mittsy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2020, 11:13:01 PM »
I just started using the oculus rift s. I can move my head around the cockpit no problem then I seem to lock on the gunsight and it stays centered no matter where I tilt my head side to side looking forward. Any thoughts on how to unlock the gunsight from the center of my headset?

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2020, 08:10:17 AM »
I use a Rift S and have never had that happen. I can't imagine why it would stop in one particular spot consistently like that. If I understand you right, that's what's happening.

Unless you've mapped a button to stop tracking, and I'm guessing you haven't, there are only a couple of things that come to mind. The Rift S tracks optically. Is the lighting good in the room? It won't track in the dark. Unless you have an IR light shining at the ceiling like I do. Is there bright sunlight in the room? Sunlight shining directly on a wall or at you will mess tracking up. Are there ANY mirrors or really reflective things nearby? Those last two are the more likely thing that might be happening. If it were the dark room thing you'd get a prompt in your headset that it had lost tracking. You haven't said that's happening. If it were the mirror or sun the headset would keep tracking just fine and think you just hadn't moved your head from the one spot because it sees that reflection which hasn't moved. You won't get a prompt for that.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2020, 01:18:16 AM »
I just started using the oculus rift s. I can move my head around the cockpit no problem then I seem to lock on the gunsight and it stays centered no matter where I tilt my head side to side looking forward. Any thoughts on how to unlock the gunsight from the center of my headset?

ive had my rift s lock in the forward position before.

i'll second checking your room lighting.

mine would say "lost device tracking" or similar under the oculus software> devices tab and the rift would be red. but you had to either look and alt tab out without removing the visor, or you have to cover the sensor so it doesnt turn off.

taking it off and putting it back on usually seemed to fix it. and reset the tracking.

at first i solved it by bringing an extra lamp in. hasn't happened since.

i know also have a ir bulb in the lamp so it can stay dark in the room. either way seems to work.
"fly as far as you can into the crash"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2020, 08:43:35 AM »
Maybe it is just the lighting thing. I never had that happen but almost immediately put the IR light in the room as I'd read about it having trouble tracking in the dark and somebody came up with that as a solution. Made sense. Cameras are optical. But they see IR light too. So I just got a cheap IR security cam light on amazon and pointed it at the ceiling. Click on passthrough and the place looks to the headset as if all the lights were on.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"