Author Topic: Pretty fed up.  (Read 20431 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Pretty fed up.
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2019, 05:54:38 PM »
It seems that I made a mistake in posting what I thought was problematic and unjust.  Pardon me for seeking a solution from this particular arena.  XconX, a person who no longer plays and has admittedly quit the game, has pinned the blame squarely on me for the faults of this game.  So be it.
It has been a blast playing for as long as I have, and with the numerous other players, many who no longer log on, or have cancelled their subscriptions.
Perhaps, HiTech, if you were to look at the actual posts prompting me to say what got me muted...and what I actually said, you would have a different view of why things happened the way they did.  It isn't just about numbers.
This thread has shown me that, even after 18 years of a constant subscription, it is probably time to do something else.
As far as I'm concerned, someone can close and lock this thread.

Geez. C'mon. Get over the self-persecution and just have fun.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2019, 06:06:52 PM »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2019, 06:29:13 PM »
They already have that by tuning out 200.   :headscratch:

I meant in terms of tuning out problematic individuals as opposed to the entire place going silent because people can't handle interacting with people.

I'm sorry you didn't get the sympathy you were expecting, TeeArr.  Apparently we are not sufficiently invested in your life to leap to your defense as you expected.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2019, 06:31:28 PM »
I think in the MA it might make sense, since theres so much smack talk, as long as it doesn't affect the AVA. during Monday night madness in the AVA, we actually enjoy talking to each other. we use it as a training tool.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2019, 08:23:12 PM »
Remove cross country chat, Pm and Xcountry player vox tuning for the MA but allow it as a config item for special arenas (ava, sea1/2, and custom arenas).

The toxicity that many people see only degrades game play and arena atmosphere. You would think that with the niche game that this is, people would be able to conduct themselves as adults... .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2019, 08:35:43 PM »
I quit tuning to 200 awhile ago and it made the game more enjoyable for me. I occasionally pop on to check it out until the nonsense starts. I do enjoy private messaging friends on the other side, but definitely could see how some could and would abuse the privilege.
I also work away from home for four weeks at a time without being able to play so that keeps the game a bit fresher. The people I see that seem to be the worse on 200 or raging are the ones that are constantly playing all day every day. Short breaks here and there help quite a bit.

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2019, 10:59:36 PM »
Nope...leave everything how it is...200 is optional...if you feel offended by anyone simply squelch them or detune channel 200....simple thinking.....move on and keep shooting bad guys... :rock :rock
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2019, 04:44:13 AM »

So, your opinion is that new players are not staying due to verbal abuse.  New players are lasting less than 30 minutes.  I do not think that is enough time for them to get abused.  My money is on the fact that the UI is complex and even getting in the fight is a bridge too far for a new player.

If I may speak to my experience as a noob to Aces High III as it relates to the subject matter in this thread.
 I discovered AH about 6 months ago, started playing regularly about 3 months ago. I'll just bullet point for short read.
1.) Definitely it is NOT the UI that chases away newbies. Fact is, the UI is very user friendly, self explanatory and easy to navigate. (2 thumbs way up Dale👍👍). It takes some rabbit holing just to find Aces High to begin with so I feel any new player to come in will be a fan of flight sims/dogfighting. Pure and simple it is because 1.) Every member of the playing community has 10+yrs on this game, still play AH because they love it passionately and are expert++ skill level. I can testify by experience that even a top ace from another game will and does get thrashed every time he is in the air. It is like getting in the ring with Mike Tyson. Fly 10 min and get shot down instantly when engaging an enemy. EVERY TIME.. Its nobody's fault and another thing, you don't know  if the guy you are engaging is a noob or veteran. All you know is it's a yak, or 109, or spit.. Look at what happened (and still happens) to me.
Getting your bellybutton kicked is hard to stomach. When every tactic you try, every plane you fly, vehicle, field gun, whatever you choose will end up being a 1 to 3 hour session of traveling to instant death at the hands of everybody. How long would you play knowing that? Would you Pay $15 to be beaten into submission? With the HO's, Double teams by the perpetual Altitude potatods (hoards), The "hey, follow me to my CV, field, town so my ACK can shoot ya down for me", The guy that Vultches you from the tank thats parked behind the spot where your plane spawns or from above by the Orbiting Spawn Camper.
 Thats why noobs run away. It happens to all great games. The community eventually widdles down to about 10% of its peak and that 10% is the truly dedicated diehards.
As for the age demographic in Aces High being mostly over 40. I think it is a flying thing, younger kids haven't the maturity or situational awareness to envision and implement successful tactics.
Lastly, trash talking, belittling, bullying ect. Ect... I will speak brutally honest about this. First I flew with the Rooks for a month, then the Knights for a month, then back to Rooks to join BT's. I never once, not a single occasion did I experience any negativity, bullying by anybody. Not once. I play 3 to 6 hours a day, everyday. Every player i ran into was very very friendly, patient and willing to help when asked. Fact is, I am guilty of sending messages on occasion like "Weak Sauce supersweetheart!! You need to run and hide under mommy's CV skirt so she can shoot me down for you" or "👍👍 Way to go Capt. Kantfight! Good job avoiding the 3 enemy fighters at your alt while you dive past  them to Vultch me and Bline to land the kill"..
also, I have not witnessed any of said trash talking you mention in the Melee Arena.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2019, 05:31:40 AM »
If I may speak to my experience as a noob to Aces High III as it relates to the subject matter in this thread.
 I discovered AH about 6 months ago, started playing regularly about 3 months ago. I'll just bullet point for short read.
1.) Definitely it is NOT the UI that chases away newbies. Fact is, the UI is very user friendly, self explanatory and easy to navigate. (2 thumbs way up Dale👍👍). It takes some rabbit holing just to find Aces High to begin with so I feel any new player to come in will be a fan of flight sims/dogfighting. Pure and simple it is because 1.) Every member of the playing community has 10+yrs on this game, still play AH because they love it passionately and are expert++ skill level. I can testify by experience that even a top ace from another game will and does get thrashed every time he is in the air. It is like getting in the ring with Mike Tyson. Fly 10 min and get shot down instantly when engaging an enemy. EVERY TIME.. Its nobody's fault and another thing, you don't know  if the guy you are engaging is a noob or veteran. All you know is it's a yak, or 109, or spit.. Look at what happened (and still happens) to me.
Getting your bellybutton kicked is hard to stomach. When every tactic you try, every plane you fly, vehicle, field gun, whatever you choose will end up being a 1 to 3 hour session of traveling to instant death at the hands of everybody. How long would you play knowing that? Would you Pay $15 to be beaten into submission? With the HO's, Double teams by the perpetual Altitude potatods (hoards), The "hey, follow me to my CV, field, town so my ACK can shoot ya down for me", The guy that Vultches you from the tank thats parked behind the spot where your plane spawns or from above by the Orbiting Spawn Camper.
 Thats why noobs run away. It happens to all great games. The community eventually widdles down to about 10% of its peak and that 10% is the truly dedicated diehards.
As for the age demographic in Aces High being mostly over 40. I think it is a flying thing, younger kids haven't the maturity or situational awareness to envision and implement successful tactics.
Lastly, trash talking, belittling, bullying ect. Ect... I will speak brutally honest about this. First I flew with the Rooks for a month, then the Knights for a month, then back to Rooks to join BT's. I never once, not a single occasion did I experience any negativity, bullying by anybody. Not once. I play 3 to 6 hours a day, everyday. Every player i ran into was very very friendly, patient and willing to help when asked. Fact is, I am guilty of sending messages on occasion like "Weak Sauce supersweetheart!! You need to run and hide under mommy's CV skirt so she can shoot me down for you" or "👍👍 Way to go Capt. Kantfight! Good job avoiding the 3 enemy fighters at your alt while you dive past  them to Vultch me and Bline to land the kill"..
also, I have not witnessed any of said trash talking you mention in the Melee Arena.

You're trolling, right?

The UI is terrible for a new player.   Glad you made it work for you.    That makes you the exception that pppmtdp the rule.    I can't tell you how many guys I've seen stuck on the runway or ground-looped off the side firing their guns into thin air.  Attempts to help them were in vain and they eventually quit, never to be seen again.   Maybe they're from China or something and didn't speak English, I don't know. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2019, 07:35:07 AM »
Another thing could be key words triggering a completely benign message replacement:

Typed: You pansy chicken doo-doo head.

Received: It's good to have you here. Welcome to AH.

That would create some hilarious exchanges. With the other guy responding to the nice phrases. Hehehe.

Would probably rage the instigator and in time they would stop being a turd.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2019, 11:41:27 AM »
That would create some hilarious exchanges. With the other guy responding to the nice phrases. Hehehe.

Would probably rage the instigator and in time they would stop being a turd.

Yeah, that would be hilarious.   :rofl
”KILLER V”

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2019, 11:54:49 AM »
Although, thinking back on the last year or two I'd say conservatively that 80% of the stuff I see on 200 has been some variation on:

- You HOed me and should feel bad.
- You picked me and should feel bad.
- I died outnumbered and you should feel bad.

Maybe losing 200 and cross country PM would be no great loss after all...

Wiley.

JG11

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2019, 12:40:11 PM »
Although, thinking back on the last year or two I'd say conservatively that 80% of the stuff I see on 200 has been some variation on:

Wiley.

You voted wrong and should feel bad.

ROTFLMAO.  :rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2019, 01:15:05 PM »

Wiley.

I thought 80% of chat on 200 was Lipper running his mouth about how everyone is a wimp because they won't fight him when he demands it, regardless of the situation they may be in.
”KILLER V”

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2019, 01:27:00 PM »
I thought 80% of chat on 200 was Lipper running his mouth about how everyone is a wimp because they won't fight him when he demands it, regardless of the situation they may be in.

You're right.  "You ran, and should feel bad."

We're probably over the 90% point.

Wiley.

JG11