Author Topic: Pretty fed up.  (Read 20048 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: Pretty fed up.
« Reply #210 on: December 02, 2019, 09:04:48 PM »
Is this grade school? Dude asked you to stop. That should have been the end of it regardless.

That was my point. Do you have reading comprehension issues?

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #211 on: December 02, 2019, 09:21:08 PM »
Hitech should shut the whole game down for a week.   After all the squealing and shock folks might learn to appreciate this thing...
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #212 on: December 02, 2019, 09:54:19 PM »
That was my point. Do you have reading comprehension issues?

I'm trying to get this straight for some reason. Since he asked you to stop calling him whatever this word is have you not called him it?

Pies not kicks.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #213 on: December 02, 2019, 10:27:39 PM »
Etymology of Pommy

Claim:   “Pommy” (or “pom”), a slang term for a British person, comes from the acronym POHM, which was used to designate a “Prisoner of His Majesty.”

Origins:   “Pommy” (or “pom” or “pommie”) is a primarily Australian (and largely derisive) slang term used to indicate a recent immigrant from Great Britain, or

a Brit in general. The origins of “pommy” having been lost in the mists of time, someone needed to cook up an etymology for it, preferably one equal to the pejorative sense of the word. Accordingly, we now have the story that criminals transported to Australia were designated “Prisoners of His Majesty” or “Prisoners of Mother England” (some versions claim the convicts bore one of these legends printed on the backs of their shirts), and thus the acronym “POHM” or “POME” eventually evolved into the slang term “pom” or “pommy.”

This amusing anecdote is doubtful as anything more than a fanciful invention, as acronymic origins antedating the mid-twentieth century are automatically suspect, and the use of “pommy” has been recorded at least as far back as 1915. Moreover, nobody has yet turned up corroborating evidence that “Prisoner of His Majesty” or “Prisoners of Mother England” were actually common designations for criminals transported to Australia. The best guess at this time is that “pommy” was based on the word “pomegranate” — either because the redness of the fruit supposedly matched the typically florid British complexion, or because (like “Johnny Grant”) it was used as rhyming slang for “immigrant.”

Sources Sources:

Ramson, William Stanley.   Australian English: An Historical Study of the Vocabulary, 1788-1898.

Canberra: Australian National University Press, 1966.
    Room Adrian.   The Fascinating Origins of Everyday Words.

Chicago: NTC Publishing, 1986.   ISBN 0-8442-0910-4   (p. 136).

West, Paul.   The Secret Lives of Words.

New York: Harcourt Inc., 2000.   ISBN 0-15-100466-8   (p. 210).
    The Compact Oxford English Dictionary.

Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1993.   ISBN 0-19-861258-3.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/pom-pilot/

Calling English fans and players 'Pommy b*st*rds' during the Ashes tour of Australia later this year has been ruled perfectly acceptable by the ruling body of the sport in the country. Cricket Australia said home team fans who used the insult would not be ejected from grounds and nor would English supporters who called Australian spectators or players 'convicts'. The issue arose after reports that South African players were racially abused by Australian fans, who called them kaffirs and kaffir boeties [brothers of blacks], during matches in December and January. The International Cricket Council, based in Dubai, said this week Australia had a 'grave problem' with crowd behaviour and that among the players who were insulted were Herschelle Gibbs, Shaun Pollock and Boeta Dippenaar. Asked if Australian fans might be expelled for yelling 'Pommy b*st*rd' in the Ashes tour, which begins in November, Cricket Australia said the insult could not be compared with racial vilification on the basis of a player's skin colour. 'Our position is that to even discuss the expression 'Pommy b*st*rd' in the same breath as the racism faced by the South Africans trivialises the whole issue,' Cricket Australia's spokesman, Peter Young, said. 'Racism is where people feel sick to the pit of their stomach that they have been vilified because of their racial origin. We are not going to be chucking people out for saying 'Pommy b*st*rd'. In Australia b*st*rd is used as a form of endearment - 'G'day you old b*st*rd', that kind of thing. It's just not in the same league as other racist taunts,' Young said. At least 10,000 English cricket fans, led by the Barmy Army, are expected to journey Down Under from November to February, when Australia will try to reclaim the Ashes after England's spectacular victory last year. The debate recalled a story from the controversial Bodyline series of 1932-33, when the English captain, Douglas Jardine, reportedly complained to his opposite number, Bill Woodfull, that an Australian player had called him a b*st*rd. Scanning the Australian dressing room, Woodfull asked his team: 'Which one of you b*st*rds called this b*st*rd a b*st*rd?' The origins of the word 'Pom' are obscure. One theory has it that it derives from the initials sewn into convicts' shirts, POHM, or Prisoner of Her Majesty. Another suggestion is that it is an abbreviation of pomegranate, a reference to the complexions of early British settlers. Legend has it that during the 1980s a drive-in safari park in Queensland reportedly displayed a sign which read: 'Adults $10, children $5, Pommies on bicycles admitted free'.

https://www.scmp.com/article/541833/pommy-bastards-merely-term-endearment

Bear in mind we're not discussing 'b*at*rd.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #214 on: December 02, 2019, 10:58:18 PM »
So, let's look to the many dictionaries out there and see how "pommy" is categorized.

it as an informal/derogatory word used to describe someone from Britain or something relating to Britain. IE. a pommy accent (a British accent)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #215 on: December 02, 2019, 11:14:11 PM »
86 something that you have to tune into to be apart of really makes sense lol because people don't know how to detune 200 on their own
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #216 on: December 02, 2019, 11:17:12 PM »
All the games I play have the ability to chat with everyone in the match or game unless you turn that option off but let this community hasn't figured that out
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #217 on: December 02, 2019, 11:31:25 PM »
So, let's look to the many dictionaries out there and see how "pommy" is categorized.

it as an informal/derogatory word used to describe someone from Britain or something relating to Britain. IE. a pommy accent (a British accent)

There's no confusion. It's as derogatory as 'yank' or 'aussie.' Maybe even 'convict' (when it comes to Limeys referring to Aussies). Vulcan calls Fess a Pommy and Fess gets outrageously emotional - downright offended and publicly protests. I get that. I'm sure everyone here, including Vulcan, gets that. I suppose I shouldn't find it amusing .... but I do. I suppose I can keep that amusement to myself, even. Personally, I don't find Fess appealing enough to call him a 'pommy b*st*rd' nor do I find Vulcan endearing enough to call him a 'convict.' I don't hate either enough to do likewise. I'm kinda apathetic. My part in this useless exercise was, well, a useless exercise.

May all learn how to grow skin and get along whether they like one another or not.

Turn off 200.  :D

P.S. That YouTube song brought a tear to my eye.  :cry

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #218 on: December 02, 2019, 11:43:19 PM »
86 something that you have to tune into to be apart of really makes sense lol because people don't know how to detune 200 on their own

We all get the "don't tune 200" bit, I believe that this is also dealing with the PM system as well.

10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #219 on: December 03, 2019, 12:43:18 AM »
We all get the "don't tune 200" bit, I believe that this is also dealing with the PM system as well.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #220 on: December 03, 2019, 12:51:30 AM »
'Learn slower' or 'learn more slowly.'

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #221 on: December 03, 2019, 12:54:41 AM »
'Learn slower' or 'learn more slowly.'

That's kinda funny. Education majors.  :confused:

But why shut down chan 200 if you can de-tune it?

And more importantly why shut down chan 200 if all I have to do is not tune to it.

Besides, if I don't tune to 200, there is no reason to turn it off.

So if you don't like chan 200, don't tune to it.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 12:56:57 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #222 on: December 03, 2019, 12:57:26 AM »
That's kinda funny.

But why shut down chan 200 if you can de-tune it?

And more importantly why shut down chan 200 if all I have to do is not tune to it.

Besides, if I don't tune to 200, there is no reason to turn it off.

I don't tune to it either. I guess some people can't resist because (insert reason) and that's why channel 200 is so delightful for new and vet players.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #223 on: December 03, 2019, 01:00:26 AM »
I don't tune to it either. I guess some people can't resist because (insert reason) and that's why channel 200 is so delightful for new and vet players.

I was being snarky.

It's been pointed out multiple  time this is not just about chan 200, and then someone pops in with the obvious, "It's simple, just don't tune 200!"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #224 on: December 03, 2019, 03:42:21 AM »
I was being snarky.

It's been pointed out multiple  time this is not just about chan 200, and then someone pops in with the obvious, "It's simple, just don't tune 200!"

Probably because 200 was included in what they want banned. Simple as that. Regardless of what else is included in what they want banned it makes the whole request null and void.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)