Author Topic: Cross country PMs disabled. Why?  (Read 5241 times)

Offline molybdenum

• Nickel Member
Cross country PMs disabled. Why?
« on: December 04, 2019, 05:42:50 AM »
Was probably a good reason (but I'd sure like to know what it is!) but I miss some of the friendly banter with players I like on different teams that I wouldn't want going on 200.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: Cross country PMs disabled. Why?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 06:42:33 AM »
Give the "Pretty Fed Up" thread a look-see.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 07:03:08 AM »
Hitech could add a config file where you can enable specific players the ability to PM you.   Blocked-Until-Added logic.  That might solve the issue.   
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline lutrel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 10:44:30 AM »
I can understand him disabling it, while most folks in the game are fairly decent on channel 100, the real nastiness usually arrives via PM.
Lutrel AkA "Lut"
CO ~Avengers~

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 10:50:57 AM »
I can understand him disabling it, while most folks in the game are fairly decent on channel 100, the real nastiness usually arrives via PM.
+1

The problem is that players can send direct PM's if you're not in the same country. Personally, I'm not the kind of person who will send a nasty PM to another player - ususally I use it to coordinate friends to come to a particular side.... like "OLDMAN - wanna come play with the Rookies?" and things like that. :)

I understand why Hitech did it. Some of us were not behaving properly and slamming new players via PM.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 10:55:49 AM »
Cross country PMs disabled. Why?

A screen shot I received a few weeks back.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 10:57:22 AM by hitech »

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 11:07:56 AM »
Never underestimate the mental midgets that have to pm someone after getting shot down.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 11:08:36 AM »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 11:19:16 AM »
Yup.  I assume that guy earned a well deserved muting at least.  Now, does it make sense to disable it for all versus dealing with the people who are actually causing the problem and having to opt-in to receive cross country PMs?  I think it would be pretty safe to say that over 50% of the people in the arena have probably never PMed something like that to another player.

I've seen a lot of stupidity on country, doesn't mean I want the channel shut down.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 11:37:28 AM »
Yup.  I assume that guy earned a well deserved muting at least.  Now, does it make sense to disable it for all versus dealing with the people who are actually causing the problem and having to opt-in to receive cross country PMs?  I think it would be pretty safe to say that over 50% of the people in the arena have probably never PMed something like that to another player.

I've seen a lot of stupidity on country, doesn't mean I want the channel shut down.

While I can see your point and almost agree if you ever had a player tune to you on VOX and start screaming in your ear you might feel different. I think it's easy enough to just ignore a text pm but a vox pm serves little or no purpose.

Maybe with Dale disabling it for some time players will not abuse it so much if he allows it again,I just dont see a need for cross country vox pm's.

:salute

Wiley.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 11:39:38 AM »
That kid is really IQ retentive.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 11:46:34 AM »
While I can see your point and almost agree if you ever had a player tune to you on VOX and start screaming in your ear you might feel different. I think it's easy enough to just ignore a text pm but a vox pm serves little or no purpose.

Maybe with Dale disabling it for some time players will not abuse it so much if he allows it again,I just dont see a need for cross country vox pm's.

I've been on open vox chat in Grand Theft Auto Online.  What Hitech posted is an excerpt from a slow Tuesday on there. ;)  They give you the ability to squelch people there and you never have to worry about them again.  I am doubtful the guy that sent those PMs would have anything much worth listening to in the future.

I just think across the board solutions are unnecessarily crude.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 11:58:57 AM »
Sometimes the kids just need a time out! As I understand 200 is still active so I say if you cant say it in front of everyone,is it worth saying at all?

while that may be a slow say in some games,didnt your Mother ever say "if all the kids jump off the bridge does that mean you have to also?"

Now dont get me wrong,I have used cross country PM's many,many times and it can be useful to say hello to new and old friends,but 1 bad apple can spoil the whole bunch if you dont do something about that nasty worm.

As the saying goes,this is why we cant have nice stuff...... :noid

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 12:16:05 PM »
Sometimes the kids just need a time out! As I understand 200 is still active so I say if you cant say it in front of everyone,is it worth saying at all?

while that may be a slow say in some games,didnt your Mother ever say "if all the kids jump off the bridge does that mean you have to also?"

Now dont get me wrong,I have used cross country PM's many,many times and it can be useful to say hello to new and old friends,but 1 bad apple can spoil the whole bunch if you dont do something about that nasty worm.

As the saying goes,this is why we cant have nice stuff...... :noid

At the end of the day, the goal is to have people limit their exposure to stuff they don't want to hear, right?

I see a ton of stuff on country I couldn't care less about, usually from wannabe Generals.  Last night is a perfect example.  There were 4 people who were gracing us with their assessment of where we needed to be defending next, and berating the country because nobody was showing up.  Repeatedly.  Whether we wanted them to or not.  I could've detuned 2.  I chose instead to type .squelch lines 4 times.  I was still able to see what was going on, but their blather no longer impacted me.

For certain one of those individuals has never said anything I have cared about since I noticed his playerID.  I have to squelch him every time I notice him if he's on a roll.

As far as the kids, I am responsible for my own conduct.  They should be too.  If you get 100 random people together online odds are pretty good at least a couple of them are going to be loud and not nice people.

I've been chewed out on vox by people on my side for not clearing their appallingly bad drag well enough a lot more times than I've gotten rage PMs for whatever reason.  That's an individual problem, not something an entire side should be penalized for.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 12:47:55 PM »
I guess I dont see it as limiting what one hears or is exposed to,more along the lines of stopping the abuse. Would you not agree the SS Dale posted was abusive?

And ya I hear you I squelch certain players also,mostly on my country because some just dont know when to be quite. That said my main concern is the vox pms,it's easy enough to ignore text and I usually do but saying just use squelch doesnt stop a player from tuning to you and screaming until after the fact.

Now I'm not sure how difficult it would be to coad but having PM's act like a join request may solve the issue,you just cant jump in someones plane without them giving you the ok first. Want to send me a pm,I get a little check box popup to say yes or no...simple solution that would work for both text and vox.

My kid plays GTA,I've seen how offensive it can be, personally I dont think it needs to be like that but hey the whole game is offensive IMHO.

In the end,you're my friend Wiley so it's not personal.