Author Topic: Woe is me  (Read 2376 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Woe is me
« on: December 06, 2019, 04:27:47 PM »
So in the end stages of A 4 V 1 yesterday I inadvertently toppled over my beverage glass and about 6 oz of water ran onto my desk...part of that slid off the side and onto my desktop case below. The perforated fan area allowed some water inside and about 15 seconds later I heard a POP, and the computer died. :bhead I waited overnight to try turning it on and when I did, nothing...nada...zip. My question to the group is, might there be any hope? If not, what's salvagable?
Talk about feeling like a dikwad.  :angry:

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: Woe is me
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 04:44:43 PM »
The drives (HD & SSD) should be okay as the case would usually protect the circuits in the usual flat installation. If you (hopefully) opened the case right away to check on things, you should have seen where the fluid went. That should give you an indication of where to start. Hopefully, the liquid didn't land on the power supply at the back of the case as that could cause wonky voltages.

Good luck
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 06:05:21 PM »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 06:54:11 PM »
An idea of where the liquid ran to would help. Front, back, side, where?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 08:43:36 PM »
Best guess is towards the top back. Power supply would be below.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 03:35:29 AM »
How to test a powersupply without the motherboard:

https://www.wikihow.com/Start-a-SMPS-Without-a-Motherboard
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 05:24:38 AM »
If it is the power supply, and it is on top in the back, there is a chance it did not hurt anything else. I would make absolutely sure there is no other moisture in the system and then install another power supply to see if it will come up.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 06:40:40 AM »
How to test a powersupply without the motherboard:

https://www.wikihow.com/Start-a-SMPS-Without-a-Motherboard

Save, you've tried this? I get that it's from WIKI HOW but don't want to take down the power grid on the street I live on  :devil

Update: Several other websites are in synch with Save's suggestion. Before going forward, are there any other components that would make a POP noise due to liquid? My 1060 Ti card sits over the PS but off to the side a wee bit.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 07:05:16 AM by Max »

Online Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 07:11:12 AM »
Call me paranoid, but after reading some of the articles on wikihow I no longer trust their judgement
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 08:21:36 AM »
Before going forward, are there any other components that would make a POP noise due to liquid? My 1060 Ti card sits over the PS but off to the side a wee bit.

Do you possibly have a spare computer that you know works without any issues, that you could take components like your GPU, PSU, Memory DIMMs, fans, etc.....and plug in to the spare computer to "test", to see if any of the components in  question will power up? With no problems....

Any liquid/mist/moisture that came in contact with any fans or got in the airflow stream of any of the fans (case fans, GPU fans, PSU fan, CPU fan, etc..) could have blown liquid/mist/moisture on to any components and/or areas of the Motherboard....

Regarding if their are any components that would make a "popping noise" due to liquid getting on them?....the first thing that comes to mind is that your Motherboard, GPU or PSU blew or popped a capacitor....

If it was my computer, I would open/remove both side panels and before completely stripping the computer down, I would perform a thorough inspection of the MB looking for any swollen or bursted/popped capacitors....(note: some PSUs have fuses in them, as well as capacitors....also, GPUs have capacitors as well)

I would also obtain a can of CRC electronics & electrical parts cleaning spray (this spray cleans on contact and quickly evaporates any and all moisture away to dry areas....

Hope this helps

TC /  Johnny
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2019, 12:14:10 PM »
Everything TC said. Clearly something went boom. That's the bad news and you're definitely gonna have to replace whatever that part was. The potential good news is that just because that thing died may not necessarily mean everything else died with it. So cross your fingers and hope you can salvage some stuff. Just make sure you've throughly inspected and cleaned each component you're gonna test before plugging them into another PC. No sense killing two machines right? Electronic parts that go pop should show an obvious but maybe tiny burned spot at least. See that and just assume that part is dead. Don't even try putting juice to it.

I'm a plumber but I just can't bring myself to do a water cooling setup for this exact reason! Water and electricity don't mix!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2019, 03:39:39 PM »
I took the patient to a local repair shop and await evaluation. My lack of expertise would only lead to more problems.  :old:

Thanks for the replies !  :salute

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 10:41:33 AM »
Save, you've tried this? I get that it's from WIKI HOW but don't want to take down the power grid on the street I live on  :devil

Update: Several other websites are in synch with Save's suggestion. Before going forward, are there any other components that would make a POP noise due to liquid? My 1060 Ti card sits over the PS but off to the side a wee bit.

I have, many times, and it works.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 02:12:48 PM »
Call me paranoid, but after reading some of the articles on wikihow I no longer trust their judgement

I most heartily agree  :aok
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2019, 03:06:12 PM »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.