Author Topic: Verm, Superfly, umm...anybody? Prob with this gizmo  (Read 458 times)

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
Verm, Superfly, umm...anybody? Prob with this gizmo
« on: August 09, 2000, 03:57:00 AM »
I've been playing around with it, laying down fields and such. Problem is, I have yet to figure out how to name the fields. The help file wasn't much help at all on this point.  That and handing the pink slip over to a country. I've yet to figure out either. Seems like someone should write a tutorial on how to use this fun little gizmo. The help file tells you how to get started, more or less, but not how to build full blown maps. Until I really beat-up HT's baby here   and figure it out, I guess I'll have to wing it.

Thanks,

Flakbait

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2000, 06:10:00 AM »
Flakbait the best way to lay down fields and build a terrain is to first decide where you want it all and its size/scale.

1.)If its historical, use Ogre's Terrain Tool to download the terrain and texture data.

2.)Build the "default" airfields (like large, medium, small) you want to use, and save them as shape groups. Or you can use the standard fields, or one of the ones the beta testors built, which are already there as shape groups. Select a shape group in object edit mode, and add it to the terrain. When you do, it will ask you what field does this shape/group belong too, like.

F1
F2
F3(new)

So you can assign it to the existing fields 1 or 2, or you can add it as a new field.

Right now fields are named like in the standard arena by a number.

3.) Place all your airfields and vehicle fields.

4.) Do the same procedure with your strat targets as you did with airfields.

Thats the process I used to do my terrain.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

[This message has been edited by Vermillion (edited 08-09-2000).]

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2000, 04:43:00 PM »
The field list for setting ownership only comes up when I dump something other than an object group. Short list too:

2 (New)

About the field ownership box when placing a pre-fabricated field: it doesn't come up. No BS, it will not come up, but the object properties box comes up when I throw down anything else. As long as I don't put down a group of objects, like a field, that box always comes up. Put down a pre-fab field and it never shows up at all. Me thinks you got a bug.

Flakbait

[This message has been edited by flakbait (edited 08-09-2000).]

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2000, 09:02:00 AM »
Flakbait, I think your looking at this the wrong way.

Field ownership (to a particular country) is assinged in the arena setup. Its not something you do when constructing a terrain.

What I mean is, say you want to add the default small airfield to your terrain.

1.) Go to Edit Object Mode.

2.) Select the point where you wish to place the airfield within the terrain. Make sure its the center of a grid square.

3.)Select the small default field in the object group field, and then add it to the terrain.

4.) Then like I said before, it will ask you which field you wish to assign ownerships (note: assign ownership to a field, if you select country, whatever you placed will not be capturable).

5.) Field ownership field will look like this:

F1
F2(new)

This will be a new field so you select F2. Now that means that everything you just placed is assigned to field 2 ownership.

6.) Now say Field 2 is currently Bishop and you want it to be Knight. You go into setup, and choose field assignments. And change the field ownership to country Knight just like you do in a H2H game.

Its especially important to note that the only objects you wish to assign ownership to a country is the City, HQ, Factories, and other Strat objects.  All airfields and vehicle fields, should be assinged within "Field" ownership, so that they can be dynamically set in the arena setup (when its actually used in a game arena) and can be capturable (change country ownership).

Does that help any?

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2000, 10:02:00 AM »
To change the field number or country number of a paticualar object you change it in the object properties dialog.

HiTech

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2000, 12:01:00 AM »
Now it makes sense. Thanks. HiTech, I think you should eyeball another topic I posted on a Group Properties box. It would help when setting mass properties for stuff like multiple AAA positions.

A few other problems:
The editor crashes now when I try to do anything on a large scale. Any large areas of terrain will cause the editor to crash when switching between Object and Terrain modes.

The Double Field, I think Verm built it, has a texture problem. Seems the dirt texture that goes under the field lays above half of it. This happens all the time, even when in the dead center of a grid square.

Thanks again

Flakbait

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2000, 06:58:00 AM »
I think the double field was Fury's, he sent it too me and I included it in our toolbox, but to be honest I didn't look at it too closely.

The occaisonal dump you are seeing when switching between Object mode and Terrain mode is something that we reported in the closed beta, but we (or at least me) can't track down the cause and effect relationship.

My suggestion is to make sure you turn on "auto-save" to a short time step (I use 1 minute) to get a save in, before I switch editing modes.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure