Author Topic: Forty 4x4 Offline Dogfight Missions  (Read 1466 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Forty 4x4 Offline Dogfight Missions
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2019, 03:55:45 PM »
Great fun CptTrips, thanks for taking the time to make these. Wanted to try just one and ended up trying 5 or 6.

:salute

Thanks Snugar! 

Fighting other players in scenarios and such will always be the real steak and potatoes.  This stuff is just bubble-gum. 
But sometimes in between steaks it nice to chew a little gum for variety.  ;)

And hopefully younger players and newbies would find those helpful to practice basic skills and build confidence.

I'm also considering trying to make a set really toned down specifically geared for mouse-only players.  Just to give them something fun to do other than getting raped in the Melee.  For the last couple of days I've been flying missions with the mouse.  I don't see how that could be even reasonable in the Melee.  Yeah, I know, we have some rare virtuoso's, but I bet the vast majority of new mouse players would find it ridiculously impossible to compete in the Main. 

Hitech has said in the past that upwards of 80% of the people who download the game to try are only using a mouse.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 04:01:58 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2019, 10:18:43 PM »
I flew a handfull today jsut to get some quick practice in 190D9.  Enjoyed them!   :aok

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2019, 10:35:33 PM »
I flew a handfull today jsut to get some quick practice in 190D9.  Enjoyed them!   :aok

:aok

See ya tomorrow!

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2019, 08:43:46 AM »
You really think the merge takes too long?

So I kinda based that on giving them time to see the message that it is cold merge,
also for some odd reason, when you air-start  it starts you with your gear down and your engine off.  :O  I wanted you to have time to raise your gear and get your RPM/speed stabilized.

Also wanted to give them time to visually acquire the oncoming targets and prep their brain.

How much shorter do you want the merge?

I might make you a couple of custom versions, but I don't think I would like to go back and update all 64 of the current ones.

What would be your perfect setup preference?  If I was going to make you 3 varients, what planes do you want?

I like the DA merge distance myself but maybe a third the distance now?

What about b&z against t&b? And vise versa..

190d vs 109f/g or spit5

1 vs 2/3/4

2 vs 2/3/4

You might have these

Thanks for all your time and effort putting these together

<S>

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2019, 08:58:08 AM »
CptTrips,

You're missing something in the CM commands/settings regarding air-start's with gear up and engine running at a set speed...

Just a FYI

~S~

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2019, 09:24:56 AM »
..oops mis edited
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 10:33:19 AM by CptTrips »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2019, 09:28:59 AM »
CptTrips,

You're missing something in the CM commands/settings regarding air-start's with gear up and engine running at a set speed...

Just a FYI

~S~

TC

Well, these missions aren't use a custom arena file, just the defaults, but I can add one if needed.  I'll research that to see what setting I need to tweak.

They are being air-spawned by the placement in the mission editor.  And it knows they are air-spawning because on each flight definition I went in a clicked the "Air Spawn" button on each.  So you would think the mission system would just spawn them properly.  However we do not live in a perfect universe.  If there are magic hoops I need to jump through to make things work right, I'll jump.  :D

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2019, 10:24:30 PM »
I like the DA merge distance myself but maybe a third the distance now?

What about b&z against t&b? And vise versa..

190d vs 109f/g or spit5

1 vs 2/3/4

2 vs 2/3/4

What I was trying to say before mangling my last edit...

The current merge is about 15 sec. It takes about 10 sec to spool the RPM back up and stabilize your speed before breaking to engage.  If a can find a setting TC suggests to air spawn you at full speed and full RPM, then I will experiment with cutting that merge to about 5-6 sec.

Also, all the first batch I did were purely 4x4 with as even a matchup as I could. 

But, dissimilar aircraft and asymmetrical numbers would be perfectly valid too.  However, I'm not really a plane expert.  If you can give me a list (plane, counts) of matchups you think would be interesting, I can do those as a new set of asymmetrical matchups.

Keep in mind the AI doesn't understand BnZ.  It tried to TnB anything you put it in including bombers.  :D  It would probably make sense if I lock IT so that the human can only play the BnZ plane.  Note for me which one you think that should be.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2019, 02:21:31 PM »
. farge

Offline jeffn

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2019, 05:26:22 PM »
These are fun. Just found them because of this thread.
Thanks for doing them CptTrips  :salute
-JeffN-
Jagdgeschwader 11

JG11

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2019, 05:56:08 PM »
These are fun. Just found them because of this thread.
Thanks for doing them CptTrips  :salute

Thanks!  I'm glad you are enjoying them. 

Tell your friends. ;)

Hitch did such a good job at streamlining the offline mission user experience,  I no longer see the need to try and make a 24-7 AI Augmented Arena for WWII like the WWI: Western Front.
In fact I've suggested he can just shut that down too and I'll just make some more WWI offline missions.

Enjoy!